• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Game Day Play Calling!

First let me tell you that I was impressed by a packed stadium. I made my first trip to the Mecca of Big Sky Football this weekend for the Weber State Game. After observing from great seats I think many of you need to get a grip. It was obvious that Ochs was checking plays at the line of scrimmage. Simple deal if you know the game. Six or seven in the box run the ball! It was clear (you could hear the audibles thanks to the quietness of the home fans). Weber was playing the pass and willing to give up yardage on the run to stay in the game. I believe Weber was trying to just keep it close and hope for a miracle at the end. The one thing the cats didn't bank on was a great Griz defense! Great defensive game plan and great defensive and special teams play. If the offense doesn't turn it over it is the blowout everyone spoiled Griz fan wants.

Wannabe, You should post more often! You are one of the few posters who knows what he's talking about. Everyone should read your post one more time. Thanks!!!

I for one am enjoying seeing the ball find its way to Big Willy!!! He is a huge target and seems to posses a good set of hands. I'll bet he's seen more passes in the last 3 games than he did all of last year.

grizfnz said:
I for one am enjoying seeing the ball find its way to Big Willy!!! He is a huge target and seems to posses a good set of hands. I'll bet he's seen more passes in the last 3 games than he did all of last year.

I agree! It was kinda fun watching him turn the corner and head up field last week! I wonder what was going through the DB's mind when he saw big Willie coming at him with a full head of steam!

6 or 7 in the box and you run the ball, huh? That's interesting. Don Read or Mick Dennehy didn't care how many were in the box. We were a passing team, and he said "we think we can pass against any defense". And, he did just that. Bobby Hauck also says we are a passing team....however, he freaks out if a defense shows him something other than plain vanilla. If you have designed a solid offense, you don't change what you're doing just because the defense shows you a different look!

So, all a defense has to do to take us out of our game plan is move a couple of defenders around? Pretty weak game plan. As John Stossel so eloquently says, "give me a break"!

AZ, That's the way it WAS in the old days. You played your offense regardless of what the defense did. These days if you don't adjust you get whipped.

azgriz, that is way off. If you haven't noticed, the talent level of other teams in 1AA has definitely risen. Without establishing a run game, we'd be lucky to win 3 games this year. A balanced offense is the only way to win consistantly. Also, without a running game, it makes it damn near imoissible to have any clock management and grind out a close game. Final point---we won, so who cares how we got it done!

F.T.C. said:
azgriz, that is way off. If you haven't noticed, the talent level of other teams in 1AA has definitely risen. Without establishing a run game, we'd be lucky to win 3 games this year. A balanced offense is the only way to win consistantly. Also, without a running game, it makes it damn near imoissible to have any clock management and grind out a close game. Final point---we won, so who cares how we got it done!

NAU has seemed to have no problems.......

FTC has a good point. Remember that Don Read literally wrote the book on the short passing game. I agree that other teams have devised defenses to the pure passing attack.

Remember, Mick tried that in his last 2 years, and we got stomped when we got into the playoffs because we couldn't do anything but pass.

What a frickin crock! Let me get this straight! So, all a defense has to do is to load the box against a running team, and that team should abandon the run and go to a passing offense? Or, if a passing team only sees 5 players in the box, they should run 75% of the time? Uh, boys, don't give up your day jobs to start your new career in coaching any time soon! You design an offense, teach the kids to execute it against all types of defenses, and make adjustments and audibles to counter defensive strategy. But you DON'T overeact and change everything you do, like inserting Sampson to run the option to move the ball. EXECUTION of a well-planned offense is the answer, NOT gimmicky plays.

I get tired about hearing how defenses have "figured out" how to stop the spread passing offense. Don Read and Mick Dennehy ran that offense for 13 years, and nobody stopped it! At leat 30-40% of IA college run the spread currently, including some damned good teams, like Oklahoma, Iowa, and Florida State. You ain't gonna convince anyone who knows football with your comments.

So, AZGriz - how is your second career as an offensive coordinator going? What is your record now? You seem to be the one with all of the answers. Given all of your criticism of the coaching staff and the rest of us dumb asses, I am sure you have dropped off your resume with Wayne, or at least called to let him know you are available.

There are a few of us who understand where we sit in the football knowledge game. I can't speak for the rest of the board, but I am pretty sure that even the Grizzly coaches have forgotten more about football than I will ever know (and yes I did play).

You design an offense, teach the kids to execute it against all types of defenses, and make adjustments and audibles to counter defensive strategy. But you DON'T overeact and change everything you do, like inserting Sampson to run the option to move the ball. EXECUTION of a well-planned offense is the answer, NOT gimmicky plays.

Using your logic, we would still be seeing a lot of wishbone offense. I am sure you will remember when Oklahoma and other teams ran it perfectly, and it won national championships. If your logic holds, why don't they still run it? They should be able to teach the kids to "execute it against all types of defense".

I am interested in hearing why your theory doesn't apply in that situation, but I am pretty sure I must be missing something.

Just to prove how far from being an expert on football that I am, I must ask if somebody can explain this to me. While watching the game last week, someone I was watching the game with pointed out how much the running plays seemed to be run to the right side of the OL. As I started paying closer attention, there did indeed appear to be a trend to run to that side. Is it that the right side of our OL is considered to be the strongest, or could it have been something that was in the game plan where BH & RP saw a perceived weakness in Weber's defense. Will be paying closer attention this weekend to see if that trend continues.

Probably the first, we are a stronger run blocking to the right and you might see the trend continue. Keep an eye on it.

And they could have been running away from the stronger Defensive players too.

So 1 and 2 could both be right. Maybe someone here can check the rosters and see how the lines stacked up for quality players.

I know a lot of people are griping about how predictable they feel the play calling is. I was wondering if it was a coincidence that they were running plays to the right so much.

I'm no expert either...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. It just seems to me that we spend alot of time "establishing a running game" and don't spend alot of time breaking the backs of our enemies with the passing game. Play action, curls, hooks, slants. We seem to either throw the ball 60 yards down field or down the line of scrimmage and try and gets yards after the catch. Why not try for the first down? And I believe that the reason ofenses change is pop culture and coaching changes. The wish bone will still work with the right personel and coaches just like the option still works. It seems to me though more coaches are buying into the "West Coast" style more now because it gets butts in the seats. Question? If you spend your time establishing the run to open up the passing lanes...wouldn't it be a good thing to test the passing lanes from time to time? Maybe our coaching staff doesn't believe us when we say we have talented recievers. How long does it take to teach Segars 5-6 routes...he must have a brain...he is after all in college and to my knowledge...recieving passing grades. no pun intended. I think we will recieve a pleasant surprise this weekend in Idaho. We will run our fair share but we will pass more and do a better job of keeping their defense guessing. Consider this, the coaches are human too...yes even Bobby, and I would bet all of this discorse isn't just limited to this wonderful board. As cool as he comes off(Bobby) I bet behind the curtain some serious discussion is or has occured about these very topics. Phenicie has his orders...let's just see if he can get the job done. One last thing... We really need to teach our DBs and Safeties how to cover better or the other teams passing game is going to be the topic.

azgriz said:
... I get tired about hearing how defenses have "figured out" how to stop the spread passing offense. Don Read and Mick Dennehy ran that offense for 13 years, and nobody stopped it! At leat 30-40% of IA college run the spread currently, including some damned good teams, like Oklahoma, Iowa, and Florida State. You ain't gonna convince anyone who knows football with your comments.

While I'll agree that when DR came to the Griz he brought with him the best thing that has happened to the State of Montana, the spread offense. But that was 17 years ago and DC's have seen and studied the offense in order to change their D schemes.

Yes we were very successful in those 13 years. We went 9-6 during the playoffs winning a NC :D, However we only won 1 NC and after we got through the first rounds and played better talented and coached teams (Marshall, Youngstown, W. Ill) we just stumbled, because they shut down our passing game and we did not have much of a run game to fall on. In the early round games and I believe all were played at Wash-Griz, the one that we won anyways we destroyed teams scoring at least 70 in a couple of games, but correct me if I am wrong, we only won 1 game in the playoffs outside of Wash-Griz and that was the NC 1995 scoring like 24 points.

While you are correct that Oklahoma, Florida State and Iowa run the Spread offense, here's some interesting state:

OU in the last 2 years have ran the ball 57% and Passed 43%
Iowa this year: 65% run and 35% pass
Florida State: over 3 years 56% run to 44% pass.

This are known passing teams that seem to be running more than passing. Why? IMO they are adjusting to the new D schemes.....

I'm not a coach either, but some things are quite clear to me.

nearly any scheme will work IF a coach has the players for that scheme AND if they execute it properly.

Nebraska usually only runs the ball. Last year was bad, but still over the last half century every team they played new they were gonna run and rarely pass, yet they were hard to stop.

Florida unders Spuririer was a pass happy attack and teams were prepared for it, but couldn't stop it.

Georgia southern, triple spread option. hard to stop.

HOWEVER, those teams that specialize had to have some semblence of being able to do whatever it was they weren't known for.

having said all that, i contend that a team that can do both is a more dangerous team and harder to prepare for. The reason is simple. If the other team has a great run stopping power then air is the way to go, conversly if they have great dbs running might be the answer.
Also, it means you can run OR pass on first down and not be predictable.

I thought the Griz were doing great other than the red zone.

I also think that while plays weren't called that got us into the Endzone, there were plays that had been working. Perhaps they went to the well too many times. not sure.

I'm thinking maybe Phenicie will use the successes that the offense DID have and build on that...and learn also from what didn't get into the endzone.

griztastic and sfgriz, great posts! I agree with 'em. I never said a team had to pass all of the time out of the spread. However, in the spread, the pass is used to set up the run.....not vice-versa like we attempt to do. I ask any of you.....how many series have we thrown the ball on first down this year? Do you think the above three teams always run on first down? Hardly! I'm more upset at our game plan...our play calling, than anything.

Back