• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Future I-AA Championship Game Site??

GRIZNATION

Anybody know any information regarding the future of the I-AA championship game? I think this is the last year that it is contracted to be in Chattanooga, TN. I beleive there is a committee that is currently looking for a new location or taking bids??? I have heard places such as Orlando, Houston, and Vegas mentioned... but I'm not sure how likely those places are. There is a new stadium built just outside of Los Angeles in Carson, for the Los Angeles Galaxy Soccer team. Stadium holds about 27,000 people. They have been playing high school football games there as well has major soccer games. Los Angeles and or the Burbank area would be pretty accessible to many people across the country and I wouldn't think the airfare would be too much to handle. Would be nice to have the title game out West, I think if the Griz were in the Championship out west, we would see many... many Griz fans there. What do you all think?

Here are some pictures from the Home Depot Stadium in Carson, CA:

http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2003/0607_la_col_ajm/web_ajm_9996.jpg

http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2003/0607_la_col_ajm/web_ajm_a019.jpg

http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2003/0607_la_col_ajm/web_ajm_a146.jpg

http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2003/0607_la_col_ajm/web_ajm_a068.jpg

I heard Hogan speak on this early this year. It is the last year for Chattanooga, and they are not terribly happy with the site. Disappointing support from community, etc.

At that time, it sounded like the front runner was the Orlando area (although I think he was talking about the Daytona Beach area. Are they close together). I think it was a stadium about 40 miles outside of Orlando. The stadium was scheduled for a major renovation, and was being considered.

He said that he did not forsee the NC game coming out west soon, as we were the only conference in the west, and would be out-voted on the issue. It is too expensive for the teams from the east to travel. (Must be more expensive to fly to the West than it is for us to go East?).

Vegas would be my choice. Then Orlando. Then Missoula. Then maybe LA. Not one of my favorite places.

I agree with Hogans assessment. Never get enouh votes to get the game out west again, until we get another conference or two out here.

So, my vote would be Charleston, SC. Great area for a tourist. Great fan base(Citadel and Charleston Southern), and driveable for many fans on the east coast. Would definitely have good crowds. Besides, my sister lives down there and I'd have a place to stay. :D

grizpack said:
I heard Hogan speak on this early this year. It is the last year for Chattanooga, and they are not terribly happy with the site. Disappointing support from community, etc.

At that time, it sounded like the front runner was the Orlando area (although I think he was talking about the Daytona Beach area. Are they close together). I think it was a stadium about 40 miles outside of Orlando. The stadium was scheduled for a major renovation, and was being considered.

He said that he did not forsee the NC game coming out west soon, as we were the only conference in the west, and would be out-voted on the issue. It is too expensive for the teams from the east to travel. (Must be more expensive to fly to the West than it is for us to go East?).

Vegas would be my choice. Then Orlando. Then Missoula. Then maybe LA. Not one of my favorite places.

Daytona Beach is just an hours drive from Orlando. I am spending a week at Daytona Beach this Christmas.

It is just as expensive traveling east as it is west. But since there is only one conference in the west (two west of the Mississippi), there is a higher likelihood that both teams will come from the east so lower travel costs. In reverse, If NC game was in the west, there is a high likelihood that both teams would to travel all the way out west to play.

When NCAA is trying to cut costs for the playoff system, having the NC game located where travel costs can be extremely high for both teams just doesn't make sense.

The one chance it being in the west is having it located at a location that will be cost affective. That would be, a place where they can expect a high number of fans and they can charge them a pretty penny for watching it. Maybe Las Vegas could be that place. High number of gambling tourists whom I am sure many of them would be football fans also.

Orlando area would be a great place to have it with the number of tourists. I think it would attract a larger crowd at a 1AA NC game.

How about Omaha? :eek: Right in the middle. And the corn stubble is actually very beatuiful this time of year!

Not positive, but thought I read somewhere that is was in Vegas after 2004? That would be a good place for it.

I guess the "convenient transportation" and location didn't apply when it was in Pocatello or Huntington.

In any event, sounds like the next location will be better than Chattanooga, plus easier to get to. My vote would be the follwing:

1. Las Vegas
2. Daytona Beach
3. Carson City (near Los Angeles)
4. Houston
5. Missoula :roll:

My vote has been and always will be San Antonio. Great freakin town! Great weather..... Lots to do. Houston may be as close as the thing will ever get to Missoula though. :roll:

Gee, if we are all into preferences now, I will make a preference.

Ready?

Ok, my choice would be Kahalui, Hawaii. It is as close to paradise as one can get and there is a football field to play football on (even though the first 6 rows are just plain bad seats to view the game). Or, they can just play the game on the beach. :lol:

I know, I know, it would be totally unrealistic, but one can dream.

Dittos on San Antone ... a very good choice. How about this for something different? University of North Texas in the Dallas area (Denton about 30 mi. from Dallas.) Dallas has a hospitable climate in December and Dallas is growing to the north so there is a lot of lodging and dining in the area. The stadium holds about 30,000 and is adjacent to Interstate 35. Denton is a straight shot up from DFW. Only minus I can think of is it not an area that is in tune to 1-AA football, but after attending the NC game in Chat in 2000, it couldn't be any worse. (I thought the stadium announcer at that game was an ignorant imbecile).

I think the game will have to be in a town that has a good D1AA fan base for support. I am afraid if you go to some places like Las Vegas there will be no local draw because all the local fans are keyed in on D1A Football. The choice of Charleston, SC is a great one. The reason being it has a solid D1AA base of support with the Citadel being in town, and, it is a great tourist destination for the time of year the game is being played.

Missoula has a great facility and local fan base, but the weather is touchy in December....(kind of like Wyoming...:))

dudes! if you've got 'em movin' the game to texhole, the only place for it to go would be austin, a way nicer city than san antonio, with a way better field (although the UT stadium would look mighty empty for the game). plus i could sleep in my own bed...

Back