• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Fullerton Article on Big Sky

get'em_griz

DONOR
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/406231/group/Sports/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big Sky Commissioner Likes League's Position

PARK CITY, Utah – When the football season kicks off in the fall, the Big Sky Conference will turn 50 years old.

The league, says commissioner Doug Fullerton, is getting better with age.

“The Big Sky probably sits in the best place it’s ever been,” said Fullerton on Monday during the league’s annual football media kickoff.

As the college landscape has changed drastically in recent years, the Big Sky remains stable and the addition of four teams last season – the University of North Dakota, Cal Poly, UC Davis and Southern Utah – has resulted in the 13-team league becoming a major player in the West.

There are only three Division I football leagues that now exist in the West – the Big Sky, Mountain West and Pac-12.

“Quite frankly, that gives us access to student-athletes that we’ve never had access to before,” Fullerton said.

The Big Sky is one of the power conferences in the Football Championship Subdivision. The league has won six national FCS titles, the last coming in 2010. Three teams from the league qualified for last season’s playoffs.

However, Fullerton said there are concerns on the horizon regarding college football. The league, he said, will be paying close attention to what happens.

Recently, a handful of FCS powers decided to make the move to the big-time Football Bowl Subdivision – moves that could produce a domino effect within the smaller division. There is considerable risk in making such moves, Fullerton said.

According to league statistics, 19 schools moved from the FCS to the FBS from 1978 through 2010. The results haven’t been good. Among the 19 programs, the average winning percentage dropped from 55.7 percent in the FCS to 44.8 percent in the FBS.

Similarly, those teams had winning seasons 64.4 percent of the time in the FCS and 37.2 percent in the FBS.

Fullerton said teams in the top five FBS conferences have budgets that swamp the majority of FBS football-playing schools, making it difficult for the smaller programs to compete.

“Given the widening gap separating the top five conferences financially from the rest of FBS, whatever they (FCS programs moving up) are chasing is going to only become even more unattainable and more expensive in the future,” said Fullerton.

For now, the FCS remains healthy and competitive, Fullerton said.

“The top of the FCS has overtaken the bottom of the FBS,” Fullerton said.

On another matter, Fullerton said he hopes other FBS conferences do not follow the recent Big Ten decision that will prohibit its teams from playing FCS programs.

That is of significant interest to UND, which would prefer scheduling regional Big Ten teams such as Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa

Hope Mr Fullerton didn't dislocate his shoulder giving himself a reach around.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4 Beta

grizfnz said:

Hard to find anyone so focused on his own personal job security. If he had a job as one of the lower FBS conference commissioners, do you think his story would still be the same?

The top of the FCS has overtaken the bottom of the FBS,” Fullerton said.

WTF? By what measure? Head to head wins? Hardly. Revenue? HA! That'd be a laugh. Attendance? Please. Facilities? :lol: I mean seriously. If that ain't the dumbest thing ever said.

EverettGriz said:

WTF? By what measure? Head to head wins? Hardly. Revenue? HA! That'd be a laugh. Attendance? Please. Facilities? :lol: I mean seriously. If that ain't the dumbest thing ever said.
So you don't think that the top 5 FCS can win head to head with the bottom 5 of FBS?

EverettGriz said:

Here are some FBS titans:
UMass (10,901)
Memphis (24,371)
Florida Atlantic (13,459)
South Alabama (16,793)
Eastern Michigan (3,923)
Akron (9,275)
Tulane (18,085)
New Mexico (22,307)
New Mexico State (14,247)
UAB (15,271)

You don't think the top of FCS compares to that in terms of talent and attendance? Attendance might be down, but talent certainly isn't.

BWahlberg said:
Yeah how dare he talk about facts and promote the conference he's in charge of.
As long as you like him slamming other conferences/classifications with non-facts to try to make his look better, while patting himself on the back with both hands.... The top of the FCS overtaking the bottom of FBS? What a joke. This just in: The top of the FCS has been joining the bottom of the FBS. But of course Fullerton knows more about what is better for those programs than their own decision-makers, who are not proceeding blindly.

I have to laugh at Fullerton's assertion that because there are only three DI football conferences currently in the West somehow Big Sky Conference schools have access to athletes they've never had access to before.

Last I checked universities recruited athletes, not conferences. And there are not fewer DI universities playing football in the West, not even if you count the St. Mary's Gaels and Northridge Matadors dropping football more than a decade ago.
In fact, there are just as many FBS schools in the West today as there have been for 19 years. Same number of FBS scholarships. There are also more FCS schools in the West during that time--Davis, UNC, UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, PSU, Cal Poly, SAC State and Southern Utah.
I'm glad to have more FCS schools in the West. Without them, FCS football membership is so lopsided to the East that it's hard to even schedule FCS opponents in the regular season. But still, since Idaho and Boise went FBS, we've picked up 10 new FCS schools. How is it that Big Sky schools are accessing athletes they never did before?
Only the previously DII schools should be able to claim that. The Montanas of the world are in fact competing for athletes against more regional FCS schools than they have at any time since the creation of I-AA.
The other flaw in Fullerton's fib is that the number of FBS schools overall has increased and California is more than a regional recruiting area. One seventh of the U.S. population is in California. Wouldn't a new FBS chool with more scholarships to offer and a bigger recruiting budget be more likely to recruit California than one with fewer scholarships playing FCS?

kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:
As long as you like him slamming other conferences/classifications with non-facts to try to make his look better, while patting himself on the back with both hands.... The top of the FCS overtaking the bottom of FBS? What a joke. This just in: The top of the FCS has been joining the bottom of the FBS. But of course Fullerton knows more about what is better for those programs than their own decision-makers, who are not proceeding blindly.

You are slamming FCS in assuming that when he compared the bottom of FBS to the top of FCS, that it was an insult to FBS. Shows what you really think of FCS I guess. That there is no way a lowly FCS team could be better than a bottom dwelling FBS team.

The league is very strong right now, and I agree with him it's stronger than it has been since the Boise/Nevada/Idaho days.

Some major beef with Fullerton here. He has positioned the Big Sky to stay afloat in a time of turmoil and change in the NCAA football landscape.

All Fullerton actually said in this article, is:

There is risk in moving up. - Is anyone going to argue with that?
The major players (top 5 conferences) in NCAA are separating themselves even further from the have-nots. - Again, going to disagree?
He then says this widening gap will making chasing FBS dreams even harder.
Then he says the top of FCS has overtaken the bottom of FBS. - I guess that's personal opinion - would you rather be a top 5 FCS school or a doormat in the FBS in a doormat conference?

I'm not sure why you guys are so up in arms about this short article which really only has about 4-5 quotes from Fullerton himself, the rest is from the author.

CatzWillRise said:
kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:

You are slamming FCS in assuming that when he compared the bottom of FBS to the top of FCS, that it was an insult to FBS. Shows what you really think of FCS I guess. That there is no way a lowly FCS team could be better than a bottom dwelling FBS team.

The league is very strong right now, and I agree with him it's stronger than it has been since the Boise/Nevada/Idaho days.

Some major beef with Fullerton here. He has positioned the Big Sky to stay afloat in a time of turmoil and change in the NCAA football landscape.

The major players (top 5 conferences) in NCAA are separating themselves even further from the have-nots. - Again, going to disagree?
Then he says the top of FCS has overtaken the bottom of FBS. - I guess that's personal opinion - would you rather be a top 5 FCS school or a doormat in the FBS in a doormat conference?

I'm not sure why you guys are so up in arms about this short article which really only has about 4-5 quotes from Fullerton himself, the rest is from the author.
We understand that Fullerton is an MSU guy, as is Emmert. Your kind of guys.

CatzWillRise said:

Really? Better than 1980 to 1984 when three different Big Sky schools not only won the national championship, but did so in a playoff field crowded by schools that had been forced to move down when I-AA was created?
I've been following Big Sky conference football for as long as there's been a conference. I sure wouldn't say it's the strongest it's ever been.

CatzWillRise said:
kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:

I would rather have Weber be an FCS powerhouse playing for real national championships, then watch Weber play Toledo in the Idaho Potato bowl.

Until the FBS level schools like Utah State and Wyoming have a chance at a "National Title" I have ZERO interest in that level.

Bison Dan said:
EverettGriz said:

So you don't think that the top 5 FCS can win head to head with the bottom 5 of FBS?

I think the games would be a toss up. But I seriously doubt Foolerton was only talking about the best 5 va the worst 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CatzWillRise said:
kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:

Apparently someone hasn't read, The Book of Revelations. Fullerton is the Beast!

grizfnz said:

How do you give yourself a reach around. Isn't that considered scratching your ass?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Like a couple in a troubled marriage going to counseling, Foolerton should be commended for saving the BSC from collapse.

But like a bad marriage, it's still an unhappy and unhealthy place to be.

EverettGriz said:
Bison Dan said:
EverettGriz said:

I think the games would be a toss up. But I seriously doubt Foolerton was only talking about the best 5 va the worst 5.

if the bottom of the f.b.s. is better than the top of the f.c.s. then why do want us to move up? :roll: make up your damn mind. :lol:

Back