• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

front seven thought..

krammer

it should be apparent to everyone that the pre-season press clippings about our front seven were a little too enthusiastic....we are good, but not great by any definition....I hope the boys did not read too much into the clippings and get back to work....a win is a win,,,but having to do it 51-48 says something about the defense....we need a real sense of urgency imo to get a lot better fast...

krammer said:
it should be apparent to everyone that the pre-season press clippings about our front seven were a little too enthusiastic....we are good, but not great by any definition....I hope the boys did not read too much into the clippings and get back to work....a win is a win,,,but having to do it 51-48 says something about the defense....we need a real sense of urgency imo to get a lot better fast...
The front 7 are definitely the strength of our defense. With that said, we don't seem to play to that strength much. We give opposing QB's too much time to shred our secondary that are apparently being coached to play soft coverage. I would sure like to see our Front 7 play more aggressive throughout the game and not just on obvious 3rd down passing situations.
Go Griz!

Maybe some thunder and lightning schemes, not just an outside pass rush (crash down on qb) from the ends! Seems like we get good pressure, but are too aggressive, and the qb steps one step up and then there's no one to clean up and he side-step wiggles through the engaged D-tackles and gets 5-7 yards before the pass coverage LB's get there.

Tonga is still banged up. That's hurt us. I don't think Holmes has developed as a pass rusher as fast as I thought he would. I liked what i saw from Jesse Ginn yesterday tough. I think he's really starting to "get it". FINALLY.

GottaluvGriz said:
nzone said:
It'll be proved on nov. 23 :coffee:
poorgriz said:
ilovethecats said:

Yep, I agree. I think it's a close call, but I agree. I believe they'll prove it on Saturday. :thumb:
Right now, I am not sure I would be defending the play of either teams front 7 as "the best".

This. Show me, don't tell me. Saturday is going to be an eye opener one way or the other for the cats. They will either prove they are the real deal of prove they have played a patsy schedule. The Griz - well they certainly have played a much tougher schedule, but who the hell knows at this point.

Our ends don't set the edge well on run plays. We can't consistently get pressure rushing 4. Wags is not the same guy he was last year. Might not have the same leverage at the edge after his shoulder surgery. Kidder is becoming a STUD. We are not as good as we should be. This probably comes down to schemes and preparation. That is coaching in my opinion.

Back