• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Fritz replaced as Griz beat reporter?

GrizSteve

Well-known member
Sorry if I missed the discussion, but noticed a few weeks back that Bill S. is taking over the beat reporter duties for the Griz. Anybody know what's up with Fritz?
 
I saw the Speltz announcement a couple weeks ago, too. Wasn't sure if Fritz was even on the Missoulian staff because the story didn't say. Makes me wonder what the Sunday post game coverage is going to look like. The Missoulian used to give the Griz the front of the sports section plus a two page spread inside-- similar to what a Mountain West or Pac 10 paper might get for coverage at home and not at all like what most FCS schools get.
Makes me wonder if those days are over.
 
Try the Game Day Kaimin. I really like that publication. The quality changes from year to year due to graduation, but it's generally a good read. It's the first thing I look for when I arrive on campus Saturday morning.
 
Copper Griz said:
I would be happy if the Missoulian's days were over. New paper, new reporters, new management, - priceless.

The sports section has always been quality. Don't lump one bad egg in with the bunch.
 
griz4life said:
Try the Game Day Kaimin. I really like that publication. The quality changes from year to year due to graduation, but it's generally a good read. It's the first thing I look for when I arrive on campus Saturday morning.

The Game Day Kaimin is really up and down and depends a lot on who the sports editor is.
 
griz4life said:
I saw the Speltz announcement a couple weeks ago, too. Wasn't sure if Fritz was even on the Missoulian staff because the story didn't say. Makes me wonder what the Sunday post game coverage is going to look like. The Missoulian used to give the Griz the front of the sports section plus a two page spread inside-- similar to what a Mountain West or Pac 10 paper might get for coverage at home and not at all like what most FCS schools get.
Makes me wonder if those days are over.

The Missoulian has been far superior in its coverage of the Grizzlies compared to the Idaho Statesman and its coverage of the Boise State Broncos. There is absolutely no comparison and the Missoulian wins hands down. The same is true of the entire sports section including national coverage and local coverage.

While I am not a big Missoulian fan I do believe credit should be given when credit is due and the sports department does a great job.
 
grizfan95 said:
Copper Griz said:
I would be happy if the Missoulian's days were over. New paper, new reporters, new management, - priceless.

The sports section has always been quality. Don't lump one bad egg in with the bunch.

I hear you and you make a good point. Just can't stand piss poor management of corporations/businesses. You are correct that the sports dept. produces quality work. Florio's cluster left a burr in my saddle. A matter of fact it is actually a cactus.
 
Hopefully we'll see a little more candor from Speltz. I found Fritz to be more of a colorless don't-rock-the-boat company man.
 
Fritz has been one of the very best FCS beat writer's there was the last seven or eight years. He covered the Griz year round and did a really good job, not with just him game stories, but his features, notebooks and doing the GameDay almost all by himself. He didn't do anything to be removed from the beat, the sports department just wanted to change everything up and I believe Fritz will now be the Lady Griz beat writer and or upgrade the Missoulian's Prep Sports Coverage. Bill will do a good job as he was the Griz' columnist the last few years and already has built-in contacts and knowledge of the program.
 
The sports page is the only thing keeping that boat afloat and if they mess up that, then it is over.

P.S. Too much cut and paste AP stuff and not enough local sports, however. Local people buy the paper to see what local people are doing. You can always go online and get instant professional coverage that is way better and free. Hope they figure that out before they perish.
 
GrizPony said:
The sports page is the only thing keeping that boat afloat and if they mess up that, then it is over.

P.S. Too much cut and paste AP stuff and not enough local sports, however. Local people buy the paper to see what local people are doing. You can always go online and get instant professional coverage that is way better and free. Hope they figure that out before they perish.

I believe the sports department only has 3 or 4 full-time members though, so it would be nearly impossible to fill a whole sports section with local info.
 
maybe you could get Kyle Sample, he seems to be about the laziest beat reporter I have ever seen, but then again his IS a um grad so its understandable
 
Cats2506 said:
maybe you could get Kyle Sample, he seems to be about the laziest beat reporter I have ever seen, but then again his IS a um grad so its understandable
His what is?
 
Cats2506 said:
maybe you could get Kyle Sample, he seems to be about the laziest beat reporter I have ever seen, but then again his IS a um grad so its understandable
It's hard to understand your "English" you rubber beaked woodpecker.
 
Cats2506 said:
maybe you could get Kyle Sample, he seems to be about the laziest beat reporter I have ever seen, but then again his IS a um grad so its understandable

The only two things that are understandable are your Griz Envy and the fact that the M cats are going to lose at home to the Griz this year. :msugrad:
 
If you were aware that UM fields club baseball and lacrosse teams you're reading the Kaimin since the Missoulian never acknowledges anything not directed out of the Adams Center.
 
Silvertip said:
If you were aware that UM fields club baseball and lacrosse teams you're reading the Kaimin since the Missoulian never acknowledges anything not directed out of the Adams Center.

Back in the late 70s, UM had a club rugby team; is it still around? I always enjoyed the Maggot Fest (Maggots weren't fielded by the university, but the UM club team participated in that tourney.)

Edit -- Okay, I looked it up; Jesters Rugby is alive and well at UM -- cool.
 
grizfan95 said:
GrizPony said:
The sports page is the only thing keeping that boat afloat and if they mess up that, then it is over.

P.S. Too much cut and paste AP stuff and not enough local sports, however. Local people buy the paper to see what local people are doing. You can always go online and get instant professional coverage that is way better and free. Hope they figure that out before they perish.

I believe the sports department only has 3 or 4 full-time members though, so it would be nearly impossible to fill a whole sports section with local info.

This. I used to bitch a LOT about the coverage of local sports that the Missoulian provided, compared to the other papers in the state. Then I met a couple of the people who work there, and found out how dreadfully understaffed and under paid they are. And management puts downplays the significance of local sports. The reporters do a pretty good job with what they are given.
 
Back
Top