• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Freelance Journalist Colter Nuanez post on BN

pussycatkillerz

DONOR
Re: Jordy Johnson Reinstated to Football Team
by Colter_Nuanez on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:32 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
As Rob Ash has said to me just before fall camp two years running, if you have 21 standout players and the 22nd, the quarterback, is mediocre, you have a mediocre team, something the Bobcats experienced post-Lulay.

But if you have 21 solid players and a star player and leader under center, you're a championship team. Football is the consummate sport, but quarterback is the most important and difficult position in sports.

Without JJ, the Griz proved to be a middle-of-the-pack Big Sky team. With him, they were semifinalists. They will again be among the nationally elite with Johnson back under center.

TWITTER: https://twitter.com/#!/Bobcat_Beat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EMAIL: [email protected]

Agreed. We'll be a much better team next year, that's for sure.

And I don't mean to knock the Cats when I say this (although I certainly don't give a shit if I actually do :lol: ), but this is also true for them.

They are a solid team, regardless, but Denarius is what has made them so goddamn good the last three years. He'll definitely go down with Lulay as the best or 2nd best QB in Cats history.

Just be prepared, though, everyone. JJ might need a few weeks' in-game experience to be back to form, so don't call for his head if he struggles in the first few games.

Lets hope he can get back to speed before the asu game, though. :thumb:

I want him to be kick ass for App, and NDSU/Wyoming in 2014. I have been piping off to Cat fans about Denarius's last game at the "Litterbox" as a loss and final game for him. No 2013 playoff run for the Cats!

GlacierGrizX said:
I want him to be kick ass for App, and NDSU/Wyoming in 2014. I have been piping off to Cat fans about Denarius's last game at the "Litterbox" as a loss and final game for him. No 2013 playoff run for the Cats!

You will have a much better team this year with JJ for sure. The Cats will also be improved. By the time we get to the end of November though a lot can change with injuries and such. It should be a fun season for both teams and one heck of a game in November. No one has any excuses this year at this time!

Although I completely agree with what.....ehhh...Colter whats his nutz...is saying, there is another huge factor that can't be underestimated and wasn't mentioned: coaching. I'm pretty sure that might have played a role as well. Not to mention the huge sh*tstorm that is beginning to break up.

Here's to Delaney and co. having a huge year though. :party:

CFallsGriz said:
Although I completely agree with what.....ehhh...Colter whats his nutz...is saying, there is another huge factor that can't be underestimated and wasn't mentioned: coaching. I'm pretty sure that might have played a role as well. Not to mention the huge sh*tstorm that is beginning to break up.

As I've been saying, while I understand the desire to criticize the coaching and lay most of it on Delaney or the group as a whole, Rosenbach was responsible for the biggest shitstorm the team went through, in my opinion.

Delaney's bad decisions were very visible and obvious, but I'd be willing to bet that if fans could have seen the impact Rosie was having on the whole team, we'd all have been calling for his head before the end of the year even more-so than people were for Delaney.

As PR has said in other threads, having an offense that actually somewhat worked in the 3rd and 4th quarters would have changed the entire flow and outcome of sooooo many games last year. The defense would have had more rest, the addition of scores would have changed the way the opposing team had to operate, and we would have been more in control of the game at the end.

Delaney needs to fix his bonehead screw ups, but in hindsight it's becoming more clear that the coaching problems were much deeper, and more fixed on one other, different man who didn't want to be here. :twocents:

uofmman1122 said:
CFallsGriz said:

As PR has said in other threads, having an offense that actually somewhat worked in the 3rd and 4th quarters would have changed the entire flow and outcome of sooooo many games last year. The defense would have had more rest, the addition of scores would have changed the way the opposing team had to operate, and we would have been more in control of the game at the end.

Delaney needs to fix his bonehead screw ups, but in hindsight it's becoming more clear that the coaching problems were much deeper, and more fixed on one other, different man who didn't want to be here. :twocents:
Agreed. And having a secondary that could cover would be handy. These two things together would have made the Griz a formidable team last year. Having JJ at the helm of the Offense, taking advantage of ALL of the weapons that we have on Offense and good play calling should shore up that side of the ball...We will have to see what happens with the secondary.

RobGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
CFallsGriz said:

Agreed. And having a secondary that could cover would be handy. These two things together would have made the Griz a formidable team last year. Having JJ at the helm of the Offense, taking advantage of ALL of the weapons that we have on Offense and good play calling should shore up that side of the ball...We will have to see what happens with the secondary.
Yeah. I'm certainly not saying we were perfect except for our QB, but it would have mitigated a lot of the damage, and we probably wouldn't have looked so awful in the last few weeks.

uofmman1122 said:
CFallsGriz said:

As I've been saying, while I understand the desire to criticize the coaching and lay most of it on Delaney or the group as a whole, Rosenbach was responsible for the biggest shitstorm the team went through, in my opinion.

Delaney's bad decisions were very visible and obvious, but I'd be willing to bet that if fans could have seen the impact Rosie was having on the whole team, we'd all have been calling for his head before the end of the year even more-so than people were for Delaney.

horse pucky...is Delaney head coaching material? If it was an open search, would he even get his application past UM's front door? He doesnt' have what it takes, which includes holding serve over coordinators and assistant coaches.

Here's hoping that the vast talent on this team can overcome him, like it did in five games last year, and almost 6 more.

Blame it on the coach that left all you want, but that wasn't the problem.

stubbins said:
uofmman1122 said:
CFallsGriz said:

horse pucky...is Delaney head coaching material? If it was an open search, would he even get his application past UM's front door? He doesnt' have what it takes, which includes holding serve over coordinators and assistant coaches.

Here's hoping that the vast talent on this team can overcome him, like it did in five games last year, and almost 6 more.

Is Delaney a great coach? No! I never even said he was a good coach. He's shown he might have been just a little in over his head.

However, like I said, you're hating on him because it's easy, and it doesn't require any thinking about where our problems existed. He had a few terribly bone-headed decisions in the heated moments of games last year. He comes off a little dopey in interviews.

However, what was worse for our team, and what caused us the most trouble?

The fact that we kicked off both halves, didn't take some key timeouts, missed on the onside kick, and had a weird punt formation?

Or the fact that we couldn't move the football on offense at all in the second half of every game except two?

One man was responsible for calling plays and organizing the offense, and he checked out and stopped caring about the team after maybe four games.

It wasn't Mick Delaney.

If we still suck after this year, miss the playoffs despite all this talent, and he makes the same stupid mistakes, I'll gladly eat crow and say I was wrong.

I think we win more games, our offense is much better, and our defense doesn't get exposed so much, all despite Delaney. :coffee:

uofmman1122 said:
stubbins said:
uofmman1122 said:
CFallsGriz said:

Is Delaney a great coach? No! I never even said he was a good coach. He's shown he might have been just a little in over his head.

However, like I said, you're hating on him because it's easy, and it doesn't require any thinking about where our problems existed. He had a few terribly bone-headed decisions in the heated moments of games last year. He comes off a little dopey in interviews.

The fact that we kicked off both halves, didn't take some key timeouts, missed on the onside kick, and had a weird punt formation?

Or the fact that we couldn't move the football on offense at all in the second half of every game except two?

One man was responsible for calling plays and organizing the offense, and he checked out and stopped caring about the team after maybe four games.

It wasn't Mick Delaney.

If we still suck after this year, miss the playoffs despite all this talent, and he makes the same stupid mistakes, I'll gladly eat crow and say I was wrong.

I think we win more games, our offense is much better, and our defense doesn't get exposed so much, all despite Delaney. :coffee:

So the offensive coordinator told Delaney how it was going to be? Sorry, if my subordinates aren't doing their job to my satisfaction, i deal with it...quickly. It's my livelyhood on the line. Also, besides the obviously all time horrible coaching decisions, the biggest problem on the Griz team last year was defensive scheme. Playing the corners 12 yards off the whole fucking season, and where was the big boss man....blaming it on Rosie?

With the shit that transpired at the end of last season, it is MUCH EASIER to blame Rosie than it is to see that Delaney is not head coaching material.

The Griz will win this year, and they will make the playoffs. It will be due to the kids and their effort, and will depend on how much Ty has learned in the offseason. It will despite the 90 year old, not because of him.

uofmman1122 said:
stubbins said:
uofmman1122 said:
CFallsGriz said:

It wasn't Mick Delaney.

UofMman:

If Delaney is not a great Head Coach or even a good Head Coach as you mention in your post, then why is he the Head Coach of the Griz? Better yet, why do you want him in that position? I find it confusing that you would support a Head Coach that you don't feel is good at what he does. I'm sorry but I'm with Stubbins on this one. The Griz may be improved this year but they would be "greatly" improved with a better HC.

Okay, I got you.

Delaney is the worst coach ever because he, not his OC, ran and organized the offense that didn't work.

OR

He's the worst coach ever because he didn't fire his first-time-ever DC who had just lost 9 defensive starters or his OC who wasn't doing his job halfway through an already tumultuous and troubling season.

I guess I just didn't get it. Thanks so much. :thumb:

:lol:

uofmman1122 said:
Okay, I got you.

Delaney is the worst coach ever because he, not his OC, ran and organized the offense that didn't work.

OR

He's the worst coach ever because he didn't fire his first-time-ever DC who had just lost 9 defensive starters or his OC who wasn't doing his job halfway through an already tumultuous and troubling season.

I guess I just didn't get it. Thanks so much. :thumb:

:lol:

anytime...don't think you get it yet, but it sounds like you're open to accepting the truth...it's a start :thumb:

CV Griz Fan said:
uofmman1122 said:
stubbins said:
uofmman1122 said:

It wasn't Mick Delaney.

UofMman:

If Delaney is not a great Head Coach or even a good Head Coach as you mention in your post, then why is he the Head Coach of the Griz? Better yet, why do you want him in that position? I find it confusing that you would support a Head Coach that you don't feel is good at what he does. I'm sorry but I'm with Stubbins on this one. The Griz may be improved this year but they would be "greatly" improved with a better HC.
I want Robin Pflugrad to be our head coach.

I'd love to have a better head coach right now.

We don't have one, and we're not going to get one until at least 2014.

I just think it's hilarious how people talk like he's solely responsible for our bad season last year. It's absolutely ridiculous, and easy to disprove. :thumb:

And like I said, if he bombs this year, he has no excuse. Same thing Pflu had in 2011. If he can't produce this year, get him out of here.

But I think he needs support for at least this year. Look at what he's done so far.

He landed a killer recruiting class, all things considered, he stuck with JJ through the trial, and quickly reinstated him after acquittal.

So far he's batting 1.000 in 2013.

1112, I am generally with you on your view of the problems last year. Some additional things. The corners didn't play 12 yards off the line of scrimmage. That's just not true. I talked to the corner coach several times about the position/depth of the corners, and watched some tape to see where corners were playing. Part of the problem for the lack of offense, especially later in the games, is that the play-calling became more conservative, in large part to protect the young qb's. Recall that McKinney had made some throwing mistakes earlier in the season. The thought was not to put them in too many positions to make mistakes and costly bad decisions. Secondary play improved later in the season. The corners were very inexperienced and improved significantly as the season went on. Hermansen was playing hurt almost the whole season, with a disc problem in his neck and bad turf toe. And we lost some of our depth at safety due to injury. The ND game was just inexplicable, and ND got on an incredible roll throwing. With a more experienced qb, and ideally one playing like JJ had played later in the prior season, UM would have won games--because the team would have had the confidence to win and come back, and some of the weaknesses on special teams and pass defense would not have been big enough factors to result in losses.

uofmman1122 said:
CV Griz Fan said:
uofmman1122 said:
stubbins said:

It wasn't Mick Delaney.

UofMman:

I want Robin Pflugrad to be our head coach.

I'd love to have a better head coach right now.

We don't have one, and we're not going to get one until at least 2014.

I just think it's hilarious how people talk like he's solely responsible for our bad season last year. It's absolutely ridiculous, and easy to disprove. :thumb:

And like I said, if he bombs this year, he has no excuse. Same thing Pflu had in 2011. If he can't produce this year, get him out of here.

But I think he needs support for at least this year. Look at what he's done so far.

He landed a killer recruiting class, all things considered, he stuck with JJ through the trial, and quickly reinstated him after acquittal.

So far he's batting 1.000 in 2013.
Your just giving it the eyeball test...and the eyeball test just does not work. The incoming class looks good. Any 18 year old kid with aspirations of playing college football wants to play at our animal house, plain and simple. The closest happening spot is Eugene. Mick had many huge coaching meltdowns last year and they have all been documented on egriz. I personally don't think he is qualified based on last year. His special teams were rotten, the first sign of a well run organization in college football. Plays like the fake punt made him look like a clown. We're married to him this year and it is what it is... I now see us winning 9 games and fully believe the h.c. is our weakest link... and yes...I approve this message :fuel:

rimrockgriz said:
Your just giving it the eyeball test...and the eyeball test just does not work. The incoming class looks good. Any 18 year old kid with aspirations of playing college football wants to play at our animal house, plain and simple. The closest happening spot is Eugene. Mick had many huge coaching meltdowns last year and they have all been documented on egriz. I personally don't think he is qualified based on last year. His special teams were rotten, the first sign of a well run organization in college football. Plays like the fake punt made him look like a clown. We're married to him this year and it is what it is... I now see us winning 9 games and fully believe the h.c. is our weakest link... and yes...I approve this message :fuel:
Again, you're ignoring my main point about the offense and focusing solely on the horribly obvious things he did. That sounds much more like an "eyeball test" to me. :lol: :roll:

Yes, those were really dumb, but I can't believe there are people here that think those are worse than not scoring on 5-10 consecutive drives in the second half. :|

uofmman1122 said:
rimrockgriz said:
Again, you're ignoring my main point about the offense and focusing solely on the horribly obvious things he did. That sounds much more like an "eyeball test" to me. :lol: :roll:

Yes, those were really dumb, but I can't believe there are people here that think those are worse than not scoring on 5-10 consecutive drives in the second half. :|
pretty tough to score when your "Q" is a Zib. Hey I piss maroon and silver just like you. I've been around Mick on the field, I'm just not impressed at his h.c. skills. Our players have covered a pile of "Z" moves in the past. He's gonna win 9...however yu probably win 7 this year.

Back