• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Former Florida State QB enrolls at Murray State

cadwiz30

DONOR
Another 1-A player goes to 1-AA.
----------------------------

Former Florida State QB enrolls at Murray State

January 14, 2003

MURRAY, Ky. (AP) -- Former Florida State quarterback Adrian McPherson, who was kicked off the team in November, has enrolled at Murray State University.

McPherson, who started four games as a sophomore for the Seminoles this season, attended classes on Monday, according to David Snow, an assistant sports information director at the school.

Snow said the university is waiting until ``the Florida State situation is resolved,'' before deciding whether McPherson can play at Murray State.

``He does want to play football here,'' Snow said. Snow declined to comment further.

McPherson faces a misdemeanor charge for allegedly taking a blank check from a local business and a felony charge of grand theft for the $3,500 received from it, prosecutors in Florida said. He is scheduled to be arraigned Jan. 23 in Leon County, Fla.

He was kicked off the team after school officials were informed of the police investigation. The university, local and state police also began an investigation into rumors of gambling spawned by the check affair.

McPherson would not lose any college eligibility by transferring from Florida State to Murray's Division I-AA football program. The Racers play in the Ohio Valley Conference.

McPherson appeared in nine games this season. He completed 80 of 155 passes for 1,017 yards with 12 TD passes and only one interception. He went 3-1 in his four starts.

McPherson is the only prep athlete ever named ``Mr. Basketball'' and ``Mr. Football'' in Florida. He played in three basketball games for the Seminoles during the 2001-02 season before deciding to concentrate on football.

Any bets that they will determine that he is "eligible" to play for them? My guess is that he already was assured he could before he actually enrolled.

I hate to come off sounding overly stereotypical but yes, grizpack I have to agree with you on this one, I don't think they accepted him because he had really high SATs, I think Murray St. only wants him for his body not his brain.

Wonder how long he will last at Murray State before he gets the itch to commit grand theft again.

Hey Griz fans....

Which one of us has not done some stupid stuff in the past? Think back to when you were 18-21. Everybody makes mistakes...he might be a great kid.

If there are some who never made any mistakes growin up....well I fell sorry for you....and you go ahead and slander this kid. :wink:

I agree Geaux. That is the reason I don't go into politics. I don't have skeletons in my closets. There are some live bodies floating around in there who would love to bite me in the ass!!!

Although, for the record, I have never been charged with grand theft. Just some grand lapses in judgment.

Uhhh. Let me see. I have a full ride scholarship and I commit Grand Theft, and then I lose that full ride. Sorry Geaux, that is just plain assanine to excuse his being a punk on his age.

Yea sure we all make mistakes but I sure as hell limited my mistakes to ones that didn't completely mess up my future.

Not everyone is (I hate that I am saying this) blessed with Randy Moss ability and can transfer to a 1-AA school and then still be one of the hottest players in the NFL. Does Adrian McPhereson have Randy Moss ability? I don't know, but his chances of being seen on national TV sure did take a nose dive going from FSU to Murray St. and that could mean slipping lots of places in the draft and that means lots of potential dollars.

When I was younger and thought I had a chance at going somewhere in sports (benchwarmer on a Guatamalan synchronized ice dancing team) I kept myself out of trouble, it was only after I blew my knee out in high school and knew I was screwed out of any chance at representing Guatamala in the Central Americas ice dancing championships did I finally discover my wild side and even then I sure as hell didn't commit Grand Theft. I kept my mistakes to the garden variety underage drinking and not having a clue as to how I got home from the previous nights party.

So Geaux, if you are talking about big time life altering mistakes then I guess I didn't have any of those and you can start feeling sorry for me but I feel like I made enough mistakes to still feel like I lived and had a lot of fun growing up while staying out of trouble and watching my friends make those life altering mistakes and me learning from those mistakes. A high school buddy of mine was drafted by the Cubbies right out of high school but he went to college instead and wound up dropping out of college and then getting himself shot to death in a bar fight at age 22. That is an extreme mistake but I learned from it... I learned not to go into a gun fight with a knife.

Sorry about the long post, it was going to be short one but I sort of rambled on. Long story short, the kid should have enough brains to know what is right and what is wrong and I don't feel one bit sorry for him.

Cad....maybe this kid should have had your parents to teach him right from wrong.

All I'm saying is unless you know the kid and all his back ground...why make a judgment like that on him? He maybe didn't have the chance to grow up in the suburbia Northwest. Hell....he might not even know his dad....

There are always factors outside of what we see on the suface. Does it make you better because you grew up in a situation where you learned right from wrong, and didn't grow up in poverty, ect.?

Ok...I too could ramble on about this subject. But think about this....Did you get to choose your parents and thier social-economic status? Would you fair as well as you have if you were brought up in poverty...without a dad?

Some are not blessed to grow up in a nurishing environment....and they might not be able to comprehend the long term effect on thier future while in the moment, due to their lack of instruction in that area.

We are all a products of our environment. And until we walk the proverbial Mile in thier shoes......

Ok. There...I did ramble on about it!

This is an interesting discussion, I am willing to ramble on a little more about this, its the off season and there is nothing better to do... ok, well I could be getting some work done but thats not as fun as this.

Cad....maybe this kid should have had your parents to teach him right from wrong.

First of all, yes, I had good parents that cared about me and what I was getting into. I only hope I can do as good a job raising my boys as they did raising me.

Does it make you better because you grew up in a situation where you learned right from wrong, and didn't grow up in poverty, ect.?

Ok...I too could ramble on about this subject. But think about this....Did you get to choose your parents and thier social-econoic status? Would you fair as well as you have if you were brought up in poverty...without a dad

Now on to the meat of the discussion, I view myself as a bit of a harda$$ on this subject and I don't think people should be given any leeway because they had a crappy upbringing. They still have enough brain cells to rub together and form a thought and know right from wrong. The kids that grow up in the ghetto, without any parents, being raised by grandma on welfare with 37 other cousins in the same house know right from wrong. If they didn't know it, then why do they run when they see a cop car pull up? If they didn't know they were doing something wrong then they would have no reason to run from the cops, right?

I agree that we are all products of our upbringing but wether we are brought up by Mom, Dad, Grandma or the mean streets, we all still know right from wrong. Should we, as a society, take leniency on people that grew up in poverty, in a single parent family?

"I'm sorry Judge, I didn't mean to kill that guy."

"Well Cad," says the Judge. "Since you had a good upbringing we are only going to execute you once for your crime because you should have known better, but since Freddy over there committed the same crime but grew up in South Central LA and didn't have a Dad, he can't make good decisions on his own and he only gets two years of house arrest and can still deal drugs out of his crack house."

Ok, that was a very extreme example but why should we be lenient on him if he had a crappy upbringing, I don't understand why that would even be an option.

All I'm saying is unless you know the kid and all his back ground...why make a judgment like that on him?

No, I don't know the kid and all his background but why can't I make a judgement on him? Other people on this board make judgements about John Edwards for making a bad decision and throwing a ball into double coverage, why can't I make a judgement about this kid for doing something a whole lot dumber than throwing a bad pass?

This is a fun discussion, I look forward to reading your response, Geaux... or anyone else that wants to put forth their two cents.

First of all, yes, I had good parents that cared about me and what I was getting into. I only hope I can do as good a job raising my boys as they did raising me

I am sure you will. :wink:

Now on to the meat of the discussion, I view myself as a bit of a harda$$ on this subject and I don't think people should be given any leeway because they had a crappy upbringing.

Ofcourse this is the way you feel. You come from the good up bring. You don't understand fully the problems associated with growing up in a bad enviroment. But trust me...living in the deep south, I can assure you that there are some major problems associated with being raised in the bad enviroment.

I think you can study any Getto or Native American rez to supplement this thought.

The kids that grow up in the ghetto, without any parents, being raised by grandma on welfare with 37 other cousins in the same house know right from wrong. If they didn't know it, then why do they run when they see a cop car pull up? If they didn't know they were doing something wrong then they would have no reason to run from the cops, right?

My arguement is not if they Know right from wrong.....It is wether they now how to choose right over wrong in the moment. I agree that all know right from wrong. But I think that a good and moral up bring helps you to choose right over wrong.

Should we, as a society, take leniency on people that grew up in poverty, in a single parent family?

No. There are laws in this Nation for the good of the whole. We need to uphold these and that is why we have the Judicial branch of the Gov. It is THEIR job to judge those who break the law....for the good of society.....not so we can all point our fingers and say.."look at that nerd...he sure screwed his life up!"

There are consequences to breaking the law. But I guess I would ask this, should we as individuals Judge people for the wrongs that they have done? Is it our job to rub some dirt in it? Or can we do our part to help them get things straight? (this can be done simply by not slandering them over the internet. :wink: )

No, I don't know the kid and all his background but why can't I make a judgement on him? Other people on this board make judgements about John Edwards for making a bad decision and throwing a ball into double coverage, why can't I make a judgement about this kid for doing something a whole lot dumber than throwing a bad pass?

You are compairing apples and oranges here. Contrary to what alot of Griz fans may say....football is just a game. There are millions of people that would suck at throwing a football, but have very good lifes anyway.

The Game of life is a way more important game. To slander somebody at this level is a lot more detrimental to a person than on a game level. To illustate this...which of these two statements is more abrasive to you?

1) Man you suck at Monoply!

or

2) Man you suck at raising your kids!

[/i]

Wow it's gettin deep in here!
I think we all need a little n-zone poem to lighten things up.

Adrian McPherson has gone to Murray State,
Here on egriz, his life we'll rate.
Did he grow up poor, or know his dad?
Does he know whats good from bad?

Bottomline is, he got in deep,
Does grand theft make him a creep?
It ended his tenure at FSU,
Why did he do it? Did he have a clue?

Geaux feels his pain, he knows what it's like.
Didn't play with blocks, Or get to ride a trike.
Cad disagrees, there is no excuse.
Life's tough for all, we choose to lose.

Therein lies the conflict, we could debate till August.
Would we reach a comprmise? I don't have the foggist.
When the time rolls around, and push comes to shove.
Will we give in, or rise above?

We love college football, thats 1-AA.
With kids full of passion, they just want to play.
We've had it to here, with egos and money.
"For the love of the game", to them that's funny.

Now to wrap it up, to put this to bed.
N-zone had his fun, his poetry is dead.
If we keep on arguing, then you will see.
This post will be locked, by GGG

Geaux, that was good, you did well to illustrate your points, I laughed my butt off on the Monopoly question, that was a good one.

You don't understand fully the problems associated with growing up in a bad enviroment. But trust me...living in the deep south, I can assure you that there are some major problems associated with being raised in the bad enviroment.

Ok, I don't understand FULLY, but I have a pretty damn good clue as to what it means to be poor, I was born in Houston, TX, that is fairly deep in the South and is one of the most crime riddled cities in the nation. I know this because I still have an Aunt and an Uncle in the Houston PD. Growing up my Dad was a telephone contractor and we moved from state to state in a 28' camper trailer, 2 months in Iowa, 6 weeks in Arizona then off to Ohio, etc. I lived in 35 states before I was 7 years old. Now that is awfully young to be worldly but I remember going to the grocery store with Mom and starting at one side and going until our $10.00 a week grocery money ran out and then the next week starting at the other end of the store and going until the $10.00 ran out. So we were guaranteed to get powdered milk once every two weeks and bread the week opposite the milk. We were poor, dirt dog poor. Thankfully my boys have not had those concerns growing up.

My not understanding FULLY comes from always having two parents that were involved and cared about my upbringing. I never had to deal with having a single Mom or having my parents go through a divorce. I have no concept as to how hard that is on people.

My arguement is not if they Know right from wrong.....It is wether they now how to choose right over wrong in the moment. I agree that all know right from wrong. But I think that a good and moral up bring helps you to choose right over wrong.

That is an excellent point, you are right it is important to have a good moral upbringing. I have no counter point for you on this one.

It is THEIR job to judge those who break the law....for the good of society.....not so we can all point our fingers and say.."look at that nerd...he sure screwed his life up!"

Ok, I agree its not nice to call him a nerd but saying he screwed up in making his decisions is not a judgement against him it is the truth, he knows this better than any of the rest of us. What I would say about him isn't anything he hasn't already heard from other people around him. I won't feel sorry for him as an athlete and a thief. I will respect him if he is man enough to say "Yes, I did the crime and I am man enough to stand here and take my punishment and learn from my mistakes and move on with my life and make the best of what I have left." I won't respect him if he stands up in front of the judge and says "I had a troubled childhood and since I was in a single parent family I couldn't help but steal." That is a big load of BS.

But I guess I would ask this, should we as individuals Judge people for the wrongs that they have done? Is it our job to rub some dirt in it? Or can we do our part to help them get things straight?

I am not that nice of a person, I won't rub a whole lot of dirt in thier wounds but I sure as hell don't think that it is my job to help straighten them out either. If a registered sex offender moved in next door I sure as hell would judge him for the wrongs that he did. And I sure as hell wouldn't go over to his house and try to help him get things straight and when my wife is out working in the flower garden I sure as hell am going to make sure he is not eyeballing her, you bet I am going to judge him for the wrongs he did. And you would too if you were even a little bit in love with your significant other. They make sex offenders register because they are still dangerous, my point is wether your are a thief, murderer, or sex offender you still did the crime to get you that label and you could just as easily turn around and do it again.

I have never been a fan of spreading rumors or gossip, but it is not a rumor or gossip if it is the truth, the truth is, this kid committed Grand Theft and you bet, I am not one to overlook someones wrong doings. If this kid came to me looking for a job, I would listen to him but he would have a lot higher hill to climb than someone who is trustworthy.

The Game of life is a way more important game. To slander somebody at this level is a lot more detrimental to a person than on a game level. To illustate this...which of these two statements is more abrasive to you?

1) Man you suck at Monoply!

or

2) Man you suck at raising your kids!

One other thing, it is not slander if it is the truth. But to be correct in this slander is the spoken word and libel is the written word, which would be the case on this message board.

What is the definition of libel?

The classic definition is:

"a publication without justification or lawful excuse which is calculated to injure the reputation of another by exposing him to hatred, contempt or ridicule."

As per this definition, there is no way that I am libeling this kid. There absolutely is justification in what I say, he did the crime, there is no arguement there. I also have no intent to injure his reputation more than he has already done all by himself.

Now on to the Monopoly question, I am pretty ruthless when it comes to Monopoly and it would hurt to hear you say that I suck at Monopoly but it would hurt so much more to be called a bad parent, you made your point on the apples and oranges.

I will use a better example: Vernon Smith, I really like the kid and he seems to be our best cover player. But I couldn't let his altercation with the police earlier this year go, when the cops showed up he should have settled down and let the cops do their thing, from what I understand he wasn't going to get yarded off to the pokey until he pulled the bonehead stunt and started argueing with them. That was dumb, he made a bad decision, if I was his coach I would have made him sit for a couple games and given him a refresher course in "how to think in a pressure situation" because if he can think and keep his cool when the police show up then he can think and keep his cool in the ballgame. Because life is more important than the ballgame.

Ok, the length of this post is ridiculous, I apologize, I really enjoy a spirited discussion and I guess I went a little wild with it.

N-zone, that was awesome, funny as hell. I don't think 3G has any right to lock this thread, even if we keep this topic up. We have no bad feelings toward each other, we just agree to disagree and have nothing better to talk about. We are not cussing and swearing at each other. I would understand if this thread got moved to the "Random isht" but it shouldn't be locked because two people are having a discussion. Damn funny poem, cudos.

If a registered sex offender moved in next door I sure as hell would judge him for the wrongs that he did. And I sure as hell wouldn't go over to his house and try to help him get things straight and when my wife is out working in the flower garden I sure as hell am going to make sure he is not eyeballing her, you bet I am going to judge him for the wrongs he did. And you would too if you were even a little bit in love with your significant other. They make sex offenders register because they are still dangerous, my point is wether your are a thief, murderer, or sex offender you still did the crime to get you that label and you could just as easily turn around and do it again.

OUCH! You are so right about that one. That would be a hard deal. I'm with you on that one.

"I don't think 3G has any right to lock this thread, even if we keep this topic up."

I agree, and Jim I don't think you would. Just call it poetic licence. I was short on time, had to make it rhyme. (there I go agian) :roll:

"we just agree to disagree and have nothing better to talk about."

I appreciate the discussion. I actually had a post written up. I decided i need not get in the middle of it. I know ya'll don't hate each other. Good points all around. We are here because we are Griz fans, but before that we are husbands, fathers, rolemodels. Good to see some moral fiber in our lives. Yada, yada, yada. Ya'll keep it up. We have a long time till football kicks up agian.

n-zonecrayz said:
We have a long time till football kicks up agian.

That hurt, that hurt worse than being called a bad Monopoly player. I don't want it to be a long time until football kicks up again! Its only the middle of January and I already have the cold shakes and withdrawl symptoms, is there a 1-AA football treatment center to help get through the pains of the off season?

Wow, I sure didn't expect that to happen. But it sounds like his parents are doing what is best for him. I like what his Mom said that "He needs to be a man and take on his own responsibilities." That tells me right there that Mom has her head on straight and most likely will make sure Adrian gets his head on straight too.

I still don't feel sorry for him but I wish him the best in getting his life back on track and eventually continuing with his football career.

Latest posts

Back