• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Former FCS coaches, coaching FBS now

IntuitiveGriz

DONOR
Name some coaches that used to be FCS head coaches and are now head coaching at FBS programs. Include how they are fairing.

Bobby Hauck - at Montana, in seven seasons he led the Grizzlies to seven conference titles and postseason berths in as many seasons, including three national championship game appearances, and an additional sem-final. 80 wins,17 losses. All that is damn impressive.

Bobby Hauck - at UNLV, in 3 seasons (without a full team of his own recruits) has won two games in each of those seasons. In this fourth season, he has improved one of the perennial worst teams in all of college football to a 5-5 record, with two games remaining. UNLV, in it's history, has only been to three bowl games. With just one more win this season, UNLV will be eligible for a bowl game, it's first since 2000. They beat their arch-rival Univ of Nevada this year, the first time in 8 tries! I saw them play Utah State last week in a very close and hard fought game, that saw Utah State narrowly pull out the 28-24 victory. Hauck has the rebels playing hard. They play Air Force next and then San Diego State (they look pretty good). Here's to Hauck hopefully leading UNLV to one of it's only bowl games in school history this season. And to next year him finally having a team with only his recruits on it. He's doing a great job turning UNLV into a competitive team. Next couple years will big for him.

Jerry Kill former Saluki coach and UM playoff buzzkill. His Minnesota team just cracked the top 25 FBS.

If you wan't to drill down into the Sun Belt, MAC, etc I'd guess Bobby isn't alone, it would be cool if his squad could make the Humanitarian Bowl. Doesn't appear that the Vegas crowd cares much about college football, but that's nothing new. :(

griz4life said:
Jerry Kill former Saluki coach and UM playoff buzzkill. His Minnesota team just cracked the top 25 FBS.

Good call, griz4life. That Minnesota is playing great, good for Jerry Kill.

griz4life said:

As a Gopher fan since forever (I was a little kid when Carl Eller played there), this year has been an unexpected surprise. Didn't know he came from SIU. I remember watching Walt Frazier for the Salukis around 1970, can't recall the situation, might have been a D 2 championship. There weren't many college hoops games on TV then.I do remember listening to many games when the Gophers had Lou Hudson and Archie Clark and Michigan had Cazzie Russel in the earlier 60s.

Kind of funny that a kid from small town Minnesota (vitually all white) like me patterned his jump shot on Clyde's, but I did. It served me well, I was a pretty good HS player that could shoot.

Mike London from the Richmond Spiders to UVA. Has an overall record there of 18-29. Though he did make a bowl game the second year there. Not so hot since then, though.

My memory is not good here, didn't Johnson or something like that from Georgia Southern go on to success with Navy. I am too lazy to google the guy.

NativeGriz said:
My memory is not good here, didn't Johnson or something like that from Georgia Southern go on to success with Navy. I am too lazy to google the guy.

And now he's head coach at Georgia Tech.

Those with SEC ties:

Mike Price (Weber State 1981-1988) - Coached at UTEP, retired 2012
John L Smith (Idaho 1989-1994) - Former coach at USU, Louisville, Michigan St, Arkansas
Houston Nutt (Murray State 1993-96) - Former coach at Arkansas, Ole Miss
Terry Bowden (Samford 1987-1992) - Former coach at Auburn, currently at Akron
Bobby Johnson (Furman 1994-2001) - Former coach at Vanderbilt
Sparky Woods (App State 1984-1988) - Former coach at South Carolina, currently at VMI
Lou Holtz (WM & Mary 1969-71 - not FCS then) - Former coach at South Carolina
Jim Donnan (Marshall 1990-95) - Former coach at Georgia

Back