• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

First prediction of the season

Grizzlygasoline

Existence: Fearless 2013 Prediction Edition

It is under two weeks until football season. There was a public scrimmage last Saturday that showed little and hid a lot. Regardless, might as well predict the entire season? Why the entire season? Because game-by-game can be boring and sometimes, predicting a game three months in advance can be more accurate than three days beforehand.

So here we go.

Game One – at Montana – The West Coast Bowl
Saturday, August 31st, 9:00 pm EST
Washington-Grizzly Stadium; Missoula, Montana

The first game of the Attack Era. And what a test to start said era in the most intimidating environment in the Championship Subdivision. KBS is close, but Wa-Griz takes the cake. The good news is that unless global cooling happens in the next 10 days, this won’t be played in the snow.

This will be the first home game under the permanent lights of Wa-Griz. Yes, the 2009 playoff game was played under temp lights. Needless to say, this game is a big-freaking-deal out west.

Despite a 5-6 record last season, Montana will be up for this game. They seldom lose big games at home. Combine that with the fact that App State has never won a game west of the Mississippi River, it seems a recipe for a close game. It could come down to the kicking game and so far the Mountaineers don’t look terribly great there.

App State 34 Montana 35

Grizzlygasoline said:
Existence: Fearless 2013 Prediction Edition

It is under two weeks until football season. There was a public scrimmage last Saturday that showed little and hid a lot. Regardless, might as well predict the entire season? Why the entire season? Because game-by-game can be boring and sometimes, predicting a game three months in advance can be more accurate than three days beforehand.

So here we go.

Game One – at Montana – The West Coast Bowl
Saturday, August 31st, 9:00 pm EST
Washington-Grizzly Stadium; Missoula, Montana

The first game of the Attack Era. And what a test to start said era in the most intimidating environment in the Championship Subdivision. KBS is close, but Wa-Griz takes the cake. The good news is that unless global cooling happens in the next 10 days, this won’t be played in the snow.

This will be the first home game under the permanent lights of Wa-Griz. Yes, the 2009 playoff game was played under temp lights. Needless to say, this game is a big-freaking-deal out west.

Despite a 5-6 record last season, Montana will be up for this game. They seldom lose big games at home. Combine that with the fact that App State has never won a game west of the Mississippi River, it seems a recipe for a close game. It could come down to the kicking game and so far the Mountaineers don’t look terribly great there.

App State 34 Montana 35

Have you seen Montana's kicking game???

App had a bad day kicking at the scrimmage. It was quite a soggy day. And I sure hope its not raining in Montana. We usually have about 4 inches of rain in July, this past July we had over 14. Tired of it.

Please bring some of that rain with y'all when you come to Missoula for the game - we desperately need it.

The Griz are clicking on all cylinders offensively and defensively, and the Griz fans are rabid for the first regular season night game and JJ's return. But for a missed field goal the Griz win this by 8+. Instead the griz win 34-28.

Go Griz!

firmgriz said:
Please bring some of that rain with y'all when you come to Missoula for the game - we desperately need it.

...forest service juzt announced...
...to be no farting outside...
...until further notice...

... :cool: ...

firmgriz said:

Sounds good to me. You take the rain, we'll take the win. Its a deal! :thumb:

firmgriz said:

No prediction from me. I'll be there Thursday & looking forward to the trip. Anyway, it would be fine with me if we brought all of the rains we have endured recently to you all over Labor Day. I cannot remember a rainier season in all of my 53 summers.

Your post reminds me of one of those innocent events that sometimes goes down into a school's football lore.

Many years ago, Georgia Southern came up to play ASU in Boone. At that time, GaSo's Coach was Erk Russell, one of the greatest Southern Conf. coaches ever. Coach Russell won GaSo's first 2 National Titles with the Triple Option. For the App. game, Erk brought with him some of the water from "beautiful, Eagle Creek" as he described it & poured it on the field at KBS before the game. It was supposed to bring good luck ...

Well, it didn't work. First, they lost that game to App. (I don't reckon the Iggles were used to the cold & snowy weather that day). If I recall correctly, this is the game that the App students dug out letters in the snow in the grassy area along the field which read "Will they score?" As I recall, the answer to their snowy question was "No"; & the score that day was App. 19 & GaSo 0.

More importantly (for this story at least) is that certain App fans have figured out that "beautiful, Eagle Creek" is but a ditch beside the practice fields in Statesboro, full of stagnant (& smelly) water that they seem to have a lot of in central Georgia. To this day, one may hear App fans refer to GaSo as "the Stink". And, the legend continues.

App isn't as good as they were last year (and still were middle pack FCS last year). The Griz should beat them by 14+ points in their own stadium. I mean AG1 listed off almost every starter for the Griz being the best in the BSC so this should be a beat down from the opening kickoff.

WILD_CAT said:
App isn't as good as they were last year (and still were middle pack FCS last year). The Griz should beat them by 14+ points in their own stadium. I mean AG1 listed off almost every starter for the Griz being the best in the BSC so this should be a beat down from the opening kickoff.

Boy, i sure hope you're right! Thanks for the positive post... :cool:

Offense and Defense ready to roll
Turmoil Over
Star QB returns
New Unis
New pregame show
1st regular season night game ever
App State
Griz football is making a comeback with a vengeance

Griz: 38
App: 27

:twisted: GO GRIZ :twisted:

grizcountry420 said:
WILD_CAT said:

Boy, i sure hope you're right! Thanks for the positive post... :cool:

Your welcome. The Griz will be a solid team this year. No doubt about it. You still have to play the games though, but I like the Griz chances against HOT HOT HOT.

WILD_CAT said:

Not sure if this post was made in jest or not. Saying App was middle of the FCS last year leads me to believe it was not serious or else Wild Cat knows nothing of FCS football.

It is not appropriate to compare this year's App team with last year's team. There's one big difference: Coach Satterfield. I cannot say if he will be better than Coach Moore at this point. However, I can remind Griz fans, if Wild Cat is one, that Coach Satterfield was the Offensive Coordinator of the Mountaineers during the 3 Natl title years. He was not coaching at App last year. There's also a new Defensive Coordinator on staff. We'll be running a 3 - 4 almost exclusively. In addition to the new coaching staff, App will have more schollie players. I have heard it will be 73 this year, building up to the 85 max. next year.

And, whether it will be a "beat down" ... well, I doubt it.

What I expect to see is one heck of a football game. App has some players at every position. Although, I have heard our tall, 6'5" wide receiver has misbehaved and will not be playing. Whatever. There's plenty others.

Looking forward to seeing the Griz bring their best game. App will bring ours.

One thing for sure The Griz have a lot of respect for the mountaineers. A game that will require execution and no turnovers. Wildcat seems to get the cats game against Monmouth confused with The Griz game. If the cats don't win going away it will define who they are just like when the Griz win against App State. To say App State is a middle of the road FCS football team is ludicrous. I do like our chances but we will need a mistake free effort to pull it off. One thing for sure the electricity will be at a high level.

Back