• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Fees for OPSU, from Wyo and UW, and for home games

PlayerRep

Well-known member
From today's Meseroll article:

"A game at a school like Washington – where the Griz will play in 2017 – would bring a payday of roughly $500,000. The Griz will get $400,000 for their game at Wyoming next season.

A home game such as Saturday’s will bring the university roughly $600,000 in ticket sales alone; concessions just add to the haul. A game against a top-flight opponent will net more than $1 million, UM athletic director Kent Haslam said.

The Griz paid Panhandle State $75,000 plus one night’s hotel and one meal to get on its bus for the 1,260-mile trek to Missoula."

http://www.ravallirepublic.com/sports/college/montana/football/article_f1f5392c-359a-5fa8-90cf-187c977bd3a9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 
It's a good payday and a good experience for their particular school. They played hard, played with class and are going home with some lasting memories.
 
The $600,000 from ticket sales number is interesting. Announced attendance based on ticket sales was 25,814. 4,000 of that was student tickets, which are free to students who pay the athletic fee, leaving 21,814 tickets that are sold. 500 are available to student guest passes at $10 each, so 21,314 at full revenue, UM used to give away as many as 1500 guest and comp tickets per game. I wonder if this practice has stopped? To get to the $600,000 figure at $25/ticket means selling 24,000 full revenue tickets, which obviously can't happen. I wonder if they are allocating a portion of the GSA fees , or a portion of the athletic fee to get this number.

One thing I think is misstated - it is not hard to get top quality FCS teams to come to Missoula, you just have to offer them fair value. it is difficult to get teams to come to Missoula for $100k and no return trip when they can get $400k at an FBS school, or a home and home with another FCS.

I don't necessarily mind an occasional DII school on the schedule (especially a better school like Central Washington), and with the quality schedules Montana has lined up for the next few years (NDSU, McNeese State, Wyoming and Washington) a DII team isn't bad if they are decent and not a bottom feeder.

one thing I would like to see is Montana pursue a neutral site series with Idaho, maybe Spokane, or Pullman or Seattle for a larger venue, where Montana gets to keep the revenue from tickets sold through the Montana ticket office (and Idaho gets to count as a home game attendance > 15,000) . Even 10,000 tickets sold for $50 would actually Net (after expenses) more than a DII team. I wouldn't even mind if this reduced Montana to 5 home games in Missoula if all 5 were quality opponents. After a couple years of this maybe the local establishments (bars restaurants and hotels) would decide that 6th home game is worth paying for and kick in the extra $300k a year to bring in an extra quality opponent.
 
Grizbeer said:
The $600,000 from ticket sales number is interesting. Announced attendance based on ticket sales was 25,814. 4,000 of that was student tickets, which are free to students who pay the athletic fee, leaving 21,814 tickets that are sold. 500 are available to student guest passes at $10 each, so 21,314 at full revenue, UM used to give away as many as 1500 guest and comp tickets per game. I wonder if this practice has stopped? To get to the $600,000 figure at $25/ticket means selling 24,000 full revenue tickets, which obviously can't happen. I wonder if they are allocating a portion of the GSA fees , or a portion of the athletic fee to get this number.

One thing I think is misstated - it is not hard to get top quality FCS teams to come to Missoula, you just have to offer them fair value. it is difficult to get teams to come to Missoula for $100k and no return trip when they can get $400k at an FBS school, or a home and home with another FCS.

I don't necessarily mind an occasional DII school on the schedule (especially a better school like Central Washington), and with the quality schedules Montana has lined up for the next few years (NDSU, McNeese State, Wyoming and Washington) a DII team isn't bad if they are decent and not a bottom feeder.

one thing I would like to see is Montana pursue a neutral site series with Idaho, maybe Spokane, or Pullman or Seattle for a larger venue, where Montana gets to keep the revenue from tickets sold through the Montana ticket office (and Idaho gets to count as a home game attendance > 15,000) . Even 10,000 tickets sold for $50 would actually Net (after expenses) more than a DII team. I wouldn't even mind if this reduced Montana to 5 home games in Missoula if all 5 were quality opponents. After a couple years of this maybe the local establishments (bars restaurants and hotels) would decide that 6th home game is worth paying for and kick in the extra $300k a year to bring in an extra quality opponent.

Was the ticket price only $25 per ticket? That doesn't sound right. I don't thing they have as many comp tiks as they used to, but don't know the amount. Doubt that they allocate any GSA revenue. Separate pot. I agree with or like some of your other ideas. Good post.
 
Single game tickets for OPSU was $27, compared to $35 for Cal Poly. This would lead one to think that by simply raising the price of the OPSU game to $35, there may have been enough dollars to bring a reasonable FCS team instead.
 
mcg said:
Single game tickets for OPSU was $27, compared to $35 for Cal Poly. This would lead one to think that by simply raising the price of the OPSU game to $35, there may have been enough dollars to bring a reasonable FCS team instead.

$8 times 20,000 is $160,000.

A single game "series" with a decent FCS would seem to work at $35, I would think. There would probably be enough revenue for a closer or far FBS, i.e. a medium or long charter. However, my understanding is that finding a single game FCS game on the right date in the schedule is often difficult. The Ivies or some of them (and maybe some Patriot teams) are still willing to do one game series. At least as of several years ago, they wanted only their travel costs plus a modest fee. At that time, $200,000 would have been sufficient. This is more than what OPSU received for last Saturday's game. The Ivies recruit nationally and would prefer to play these single series games in an area of the country where they recruit. CA is a fairly big Ivy recruiting area, because CA is so big and has so many good player.

Note that a home and home series with a medium or far away FCS, has the financial negative of there being an away game as one of the two games. Obviously, there are benefits too.
 
Grizbeer said:
The $600,000 from ticket sales number is interesting. Announced attendance based on ticket sales was 25,814. 4,000 of that was student tickets, which are free to students who pay the athletic fee, leaving 21,814 tickets that are sold. 500 are available to student guest passes at $10 each, so 21,314 at full revenue, UM used to give away as many as 1500 guest and comp tickets per game. I wonder if this practice has stopped? To get to the $600,000 figure at $25/ticket means selling 24,000 full revenue tickets, which obviously can't happen. I wonder if they are allocating a portion of the GSA fees , or a portion of the athletic fee to get this number.

One thing I think is misstated - it is not hard to get top quality FCS teams to come to Missoula, you just have to offer them fair value. it is difficult to get teams to come to Missoula for $100k and no return trip when they can get $400k at an FBS school, or a home and home with another FCS.

I don't necessarily mind an occasional DII school on the schedule (especially a better school like Central Washington), and with the quality schedules Montana has lined up for the next few years (NDSU, McNeese State, Wyoming and Washington) a DII team isn't bad if they are decent and not a bottom feeder.

one thing I would like to see is Montana pursue a neutral site series with Idaho, maybe Spokane, or Pullman or Seattle for a larger venue, where Montana gets to keep the revenue from tickets sold through the Montana ticket office (and Idaho gets to count as a home game attendance > 15,000) . Even 10,000 tickets sold for $50 would actually Net (after expenses) more than a DII team. I wouldn't even mind if this reduced Montana to 5 home games in Missoula if all 5 were quality opponents. After a couple years of this maybe the local establishments (bars restaurants and hotels) would decide that 6th home game is worth paying for and kick in the extra $300k a year to bring in an extra quality opponent.

The last paragraph is very intriguing.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
I would be disappointed to lose the sixth home game, as we are VERY rarely able to travel to an away game. JMHO
 
Robsnotes4u said:
Grizbeer said:
one thing I would like to see is Montana pursue a neutral site series with Idaho, maybe Spokane, or Pullman or Seattle for a larger venue, where Montana gets to keep the revenue from tickets sold through the Montana ticket office (and Idaho gets to count as a home game attendance > 15,000) . Even 10,000 tickets sold for $50 would actually Net (after expenses) more than a DII team. I wouldn't even mind if this reduced Montana to 5 home games in Missoula if all 5 were quality opponents. After a couple years of this maybe the local establishments (bars restaurants and hotels) would decide that 6th home game is worth paying for and kick in the extra $300k a year to bring in an extra quality opponent.

The last paragraph is very intriguing.

There is no road game, anywhere, that's going to draw 10,000 Griz fans. Hell, we couldn't even get 10,000 people at the championship games...
 
MrTitleist said:
Playing up > Playing down

Montana made more playing this cupcake at home than they would have made playing up on the road. I hated the game also but that is just a financial fact.
 
Hammer said:
MrTitleist said:
Playing up > Playing down

Montana made more playing this cupcake at home than they would have made playing up on the road. I hated the game also but that is just a financial fact.
And that, my friends, is why UM continues to schedule Div. II schools. I don't like playing the likes of OPSU any more than the next guy, but I do understand why UM does it.
 
I hope UM understands why its bleachers were maybe half full for the duration of the 2nd half of the last game. Sure, they got their money, but the fans showed how they felt about the game.
 
AZGrizFan said:
There is no road game, anywhere, that's going to draw 10,000 Griz fans. Hell, we couldn't even get 10,000 people at the championship games...

Yet alone > 20,000 for a FCS Playoff game played in Missoula?
 
MrTitleist said:
I hope UM understands why its bleachers were maybe half full for the duration of the 2nd half of the last game. Sure, they got their money, but the fans showed how they felt about the game.
You are preaching to the choir with me. I'm sure UM does understand that, but the bottom line is about money. Always will be. No amount of bitching will change it.
 
AZGrizFan said:
Robsnotes4u said:
Grizbeer said:
one thing I would like to see is Montana pursue a neutral site series with Idaho, maybe Spokane, or Pullman or Seattle for a larger venue, where Montana gets to keep the revenue from tickets sold through the Montana ticket office (and Idaho gets to count as a home game attendance > 15,000) . Even 10,000 tickets sold for $50 would actually Net (after expenses) more than a DII team. I wouldn't even mind if this reduced Montana to 5 home games in Missoula if all 5 were quality opponents. After a couple years of this maybe the local establishments (bars restaurants and hotels) would decide that 6th home game is worth paying for and kick in the extra $300k a year to bring in an extra quality opponent.

The last paragraph is very intriguing.

There is no road game, anywhere, that's going to draw 10,000 Griz fans. Hell, we couldn't even get 10,000 people at the championship games...

I would bet over 10,000 Griz fans made it to at least one EWU game at Joe Albi. We consistently outnumbered EWU fans when we played there, and had some good crowds. That's why EWU quit scheduling us in Spokane. I think a Labor Day weekend game against Idaho in the Seattle area would surprise you.
 
goatcreekgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Robsnotes4u said:
Grizbeer said:
one thing I would like to see is Montana pursue a neutral site series with Idaho, maybe Spokane, or Pullman or Seattle for a larger venue, where Montana gets to keep the revenue from tickets sold through the Montana ticket office (and Idaho gets to count as a home game attendance > 15,000) . Even 10,000 tickets sold for $50 would actually Net (after expenses) more than a DII team. I wouldn't even mind if this reduced Montana to 5 home games in Missoula if all 5 were quality opponents. After a couple years of this maybe the local establishments (bars restaurants and hotels) would decide that 6th home game is worth paying for and kick in the extra $300k a year to bring in an extra quality opponent.

The last paragraph is very intriguing.

There is no road game, anywhere, that's going to draw 10,000 Griz fans. Hell, we couldn't even get 10,000 people at the championship games...

I would bet over 10,000 Griz fans made it to at least one EWU game at Joe Albi. We consistently outnumbered EWU fans when we played there, and had some good crowds. That's why EWU quit scheduling us in Spokane. I think a Labor Day weekend game against Idaho in the Seattle area would surprise you.

Montana routinely sent more than 10,000 to Spokane for EWU games. Remember, big difference between a game being on the schedule for 6 months, and within driving distance for most fans vs 1 week to arrange flights, time off etc to fly to Chattanooga.

Could even include the game as an option on season ticket renewal form.
 
'68griz said:
Hammer said:
MrTitleist said:
Playing up > Playing down

Montana made more playing this cupcake at home than they would have made playing up on the road. I hated the game also but that is just a financial fact.
And that, my friends, is why UM continues to schedule Div. II schools. I don't like playing the likes of OPSU any more than the next guy, but I do understand why UM does it.

Montana scheduled the wrong D2 school at the wrong time. OPSU is way underfunded, with maybe 12 scholarships out of the D2 max of 36. On top of that, things have been problematic in Goodwell until last year. The death of a long-time coach after the 2010 season and bad hire for 2011(one year coach) virtually erased any real recruiting and led a lot of players that were at OPSU to leave. That's why you saw so many youngsters and few top notch upperclassman on Saturday. We enjoyed the trip, hospitality, and the big time experience, but it wasn't the best deal for Montana.

If you are going to schedule D2 games, you need to look at consistently strong, well funded D2 programs (36 scholarships) from the likes the Lone Star Conference that pull recruits from a strong football region. RMAC teams are limited to 28 scholarships and none of them are funded well enough to offer 28, plus they pull from Colorado......which is alright, but it ain't Texas.

West Texas A&M and Midwestern State are both teams that typically do well in the D2 playoffs and usually put guys in the NFL most years. These kind of teams would offer more of a challenge and probably keep your fans in the stands. Plus they typically have a strong following for D2 (WTAMU averages 10,000+) and you would pick up some visitors.

Certainly WTAMU would want more than $75K for the game, and they wouldn't make the trip in a bus. Let's say you paid them $125K, and covered airfare or a mid-range charter flight. I am guessing your total cost would be about $200-225K. You would have a game against a very strong D2 program with a recognizable name in the Texas A&M vein which may be worth a few bucks on the ticket face value. The competition would be enough to keep your starters in and the fans engaged. In return, they would get a cool trip to the mountains and the chance to play in front of a big crowd against a very strong opponent. That would pay off to them in recruiting, conference play, and the playoffs. With other teams in the LSC moving up to D1FCS, I know they are having scheduling challenges. Just a thought.......
 
Not saying it will happen, but it's indeed possible, if the Griz lose to Wyoming and NDSU and are 0-2 next year, the bitching will be 1,OOO times worse than complaining about playing a DII.
 
Back
Top