• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS Top-25

get'em_griz

DONOR
With the season just about 3 months away, where do you all see the Griz starting the season ranked? Do you think we'll get some love and maybe crack the top 25? Or do you think last year's results will keep us out of the rankings until the first couple of weeks?

I think we might crack the top 25 to start out, and then a win over App State would definitely put us back in the rankings. It's going to be fun watching us climb back to the top of the polls this year! :thumb:

After a losing season under a new coach, they shouldn't be ranked at all. Montana should be unranked and lucky to crack the top 15 by the end of October if undefeated.

EverettGriz said:
13th.

Too much talent returning not to be ranked.

I expect to be in the top 10 a few weeks in.
Agree. Preseason is as much about reputation and history of success as it is about anything the eastern writers know, which is very little.

If we are ranked... I bet we're in the 20-25 range... & that would be a gift. We have talent, but we don't have the resume. I hope I'm wrong & that we are ranked higher.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

EverettGriz said:
13th.

13th? The other teams' athletes are on scholarship too. Every team that made the playoffs last year plus the bubble teams that didn't make it will have a better argument than than Montana.
The Griz are just a team that made the playoffs once in the last 3 years. They have a new coach with a losing record and will be sullied by some kind of NCAA sanction.

griz4life said:
EverettGriz said:
13th.

13th? The other teams' athletes are on scholarship too. Every team that made the playoffs last year plus the bubble teams that didn't make it will have a better argument than than Montana.
The Griz are just a team that made the playoffs once in the last 3 years. They have a new coach with a losing record and will be sullied by some kind of NCAA sanction.
You will eat your words. 10 of 11 starters back on D; an older, wiser JJ back at the helm with a mature OL and more weapons than he had in '11.

kemajic said:
griz4life said:
EverettGriz said:
13th.

You will eat your words. 10 of 11 starters back on D; an older, wiser JJ back at the helm with a mature OL and more weapons than he had in '11.

Yep! :thumb:

Gosh... sure hope you optimists are right. However, I would kind of prefer our opponents to underestimate us!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I could see maybe a 20 to 25 ranking especially if Jordan Tripp, Zach Wagenmann, and Jordan Johnson start landing on pre season watch/award lists.

I could maybe see a high 20s ranking. MSU will probably be a top 6 team EWU will probably be a top 15 team. I'll be curious to see if the Big Sky coaches rank UM in the top three in conference. Jordan Johnson will be a difference maker, but will UND or NAU really believe that the Griz D they punked last year will be all that much better? If the Big Sky coaches don't put the Griz in the conference top3 at their meeting in late July, the rest of FCS won't put them in the top 20 at the end of August.
Will fall practices be closed? If they are, there won't be many reports for interested FcS voters, or BW tweets or anything else.
Montana has a lot of chances to prove itself this year with games against at least 3 ranked teams in the regular season maybe four.

Some people think Montana may be a top 10 team, and that was before JJ was reinstated.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4555348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who knows, I think Montana will be ranked by at least one poll, maybe both. Get it done on the field and they should be where they need to be come playoff time.

gah-riz said:
Some people think Montana may be a top 10 team, and that was before JJ was reinstated.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4555348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who knows, I think Montana will be ranked by at least one poll, maybe both. Get it done on the field and they should be where they need to be come playoff time.
Awfully dated. That article still claims that MSU is traveling to NDSU.

grizbrokebacker1 said:
I'm thinking 5-6.
HaHa...in your dreams...Where's all the nat'l titles you slugs were shooting your traps over after Denardo's frosh annum ??? Nine wins at the absolute worst. I'll be crushed again over this but it's one sector of our "D" that will determine our destiny. The rest is concrete. :egriz:

kemajic said:
griz4life said:
EverettGriz said:
13th.

we may have 10 starters back, but this isn't the 2010 to 2011 d. when the 2010 defense returned for 2011 it was coming off a no. 1 ranking in total d in the b.c.s. the 2012 returners are coming off a no. 5 ranking and were near the bottom in pass d.
j.j. had sambrano, moore, nygyen, moutra, hardy, carver, gratton, back from 2010. no way is canada, henderson, kirschner, sayler, warren better or more weapons. the top 4 returning receivers from 2012 had 75 receptions for 811 and 4 tds. the top 4 from 2010 had 134-1,771-18.

the preseason b.s.c. ranking will play a big part in where we end up in most national polls. if we're ranked third or lower it'll be hard to see anything above no. 20 coming off a 5-6, 3-5 season. in all likelihood we'll be behind m.s.u., poly, e.w.u. and n.a.u. we were no. 35 in the sports network at the end of last year with 22 points.

#17 in preseason....IF we win out in Sept we may have a shot at higher closer to #10...but any slip ups and we come crashing down, the game versus that D2 (or ??) in Sept will not help us at all and if we stumble around could really damage us.

Back