• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS Is Watered Down Argument Doesn't Hold Water

PlayerRep

Looking at early season results, the FCS is watered down argument appears to be fiction. Based on the below results, FCS looks to be the strongest its ever been.

E. Washington 49, Oregon St. 46
North Dakota St. 24, Kansas St. 21
Northern Iowa 28, Iowa St. 20 -
Towson 33, UConn 18
McNeese St. 53, South Florida 21
Eastern Illinois 40, San Diego St. 19
S. Utah 22, S. Alabama 21
Samford 31, Georgia St. 21

West Virginia 24, William & Mary 17 - WV scored the winning TD with 3 minutes to go in the game
Boston College 24, Villanova 14 - BC had to come back from being down 2 TD's

Montana 30, App State 6

Check out Villanova's awesome fake punt: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/villanova/20130901_Villanova_stars_fast_then_fades_in_loss_to_BC.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where are all the Watered-Downers? I know that one big weekend of wins and close games doesn't definitely prove anything, but how does a watered down FCS beat so many FBS teams and plays some others fairly well?

PlayerRep said:

Sorry, I had to do a double take on this one. O.K. Samford is part of the FCS Southern Conference. Georgia State is now, this year, an FBS member of the Sun Belt Conference. Last year, 2012, Georgia State was a one year member of the Colonial Athletic Association.

They must have some serious money helping them out. I hear they charge $ 283.00 for an Athletic Student Ticket each semester. I usually paid about $ 45.00, but that was per quarter, at the UofM. Don't know what UofM charges nowadays but $ 283.00!!! And they're only about 10 - 24 since starting up football again back in 2010. And they have West Virginia and Alabama on their 2013 schedule?

WyomingGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Sorry, I had to do a double take on this one. O.K. Samford is part of the FCS Southern Conference. Georgia State is now, this year, an FBS member of the Sun Belt Conference. Last year, 2012, Georgia State was a one year member of the Colonial Athletic Association.

They must have some serious money helping them out. I hear they charge $ 283.00 for an Athletic Student Ticket each semester. I usually paid about $ 45.00, but that was per quarter, at the UofM. Don't know what UofM charges nowadays but $ 283.00!!! And they're only about 10 - 24 since starting up football again back in 2010. And they have West Virginia and Alabama on their 2013 schedule?

Yes, Georgia St is a joke, at least so far.

The top dozen or so teams are decent but the rest of FCS are pretty weak to outright crappy in terms of both play and little to zero fan or community support. Even EWU is pulling a awe inspiring 3-9K in game attendance. For a school that has at least a million people in the greater Spokane area who could attend its games 3-9k in attendance is pathetic.

I would not try to say the FCS itself is such a great division based on this last weeks performance.

You could argue based on performance of the last week that the Big Sky conference is maybe the strongest or second strongest conference in FCS however.

PlayerRep said:
Yes, Georgia St is a joke, at least so far.

Well, at least they got a team that defeated them catapulted all the way up to # 28 in the latest Poll. That's some heavy respect there.

The bigger issue is what those type of upsets are going to do to FBS-FCS matchups. If the power conferences are being upset by FCS schools, more are likely to follow the Big Ten in not playing FCS schools. Oregon State paid Eastern Washington $450,000 to upset them and knock them out of the top 25. Are they likely to play a good FCS school again? Probably not.

ordigger said:
The bigger issue is what those type of upsets are going to do to FBS-FCS matchups. If the power conferences are being upset by FCS schools, more are likely to follow the Big Ten in not playing FCS schools. Oregon State paid Eastern Washington $450,000 to upset them and knock them out of the top 25. Are they likely to play a good FCS school again? Probably not.

Yep. Paying to get your ass handed to you. Priceless.

Latest posts

Back