• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Fargo Dome Vs Washington Griz

Shakermaker

WYOBISONMAN wrote:
The Bison have been down the last couple years. NDSU has played before large crowds before. I think the record attendance is over 19,000 at the Fargodome and that is a damn loud crowd when the dome is full. To say that the Bison will be so totally awe stuck playing in Washington-Grizzly stadium is just silly. Washington-Grizzly is a great venue, but not significantly different than the Fargodome during a UND/NDSU game when both schools have good teams. Having attended games at both I am a pretty good judge of this.

Ummmm, anyhow.... here's a paragraph out of Philly, PA by Tony Moss (last season) on the Griz and Wash Griz Stadium to refresh some of you who haven't been to "the Jungle" in a while.

"So what of those top-ranked Grizzlies? Look out, because they seem to have hit their stride at the perfect time. Saturday’s 33-13 win over Portland State was their most impressive and complete victory of the season, and if they get one of the top two playoff seeds (and they should), don’t be surprised to see a lot of copper, silver, and gold around Chattanooga on December 21st. Washington-Grizzly is the top stadium and has the best atmosphere in I-AA, hands down, bar none, case closed, end of story. If your team gets sent to Missoula for the playoffs, put a second mortgage on the house, fork over the thousand bucks for airfare, dress warm, and find a way to get there. You’ll be amazed."

Shakermaker said:
WYOBISONMAN wrote:
The Bison have been down the last couple years. NDSU has played before large crowds before. I think the record attendance is over 19,000 at the Fargodome and that is a damn loud crowd when the dome is full. To say that the Bison will be so totally awe stuck playing in Washington-Grizzly stadium is just silly. Washington-Grizzly is a great venue, but not significantly different than the Fargodome during a UND/NDSU game when both schools have good teams. Having attended games at both I am a pretty good judge of this.

By the way, I have been to the UND football games (average more at home than NDSU) and there is NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO way your crowds even compare. I invite you to the Griz Bison game in Missoula this year. You will see there is Nooooooooo comparison. None. Zip, notta damn thing. Being a U of M alum I can fenagle a ticket for you. The only comparison that is tried and can be held as true is the crowds UND and NDSU have... the alikeness of the two. Don't tell me your crowds are on another level than UNDs because that's bunk as well.

I am not sure where you got your numbers. Possibly one year in the last 20 UND has out gained NDSU in attentance and I am not sure that is even true. I remember going to the UND games outside in old Memorial Stadium when the Bison played there. It was packed only because NDSU fans came to the game which were probably 3/8 of the crowd.

I can look up the attendance records for the past 10 years if you like but I know that the numbers won't lie. NDSU has more over that time period then UND does.

As far as Washington-Grizzly goes, I can't wait to see it. I plan on going to the Bison game against you while on vacation. I am sure it is louder and wilder then the FargoDome. I know the student section of the FargoDome is always up but the rest of the Dome has people just watching the game. Maybe we as fans can learn something from you guys.

Bison_Kent said:
I am not sure where you got your numbers. Possibly one year in the last 20 UND has out gained NDSU in attentance and I am not sure that is even true. I remember going to the UND games outside in old Memorial Stadium when the Bison played there. It was packed only because NDSU fans came to the game which were probably 3/8 of the crowd.

I can look up the attendance records for the past 10 years if you like but I know that the numbers won't lie. NDSU has more over that time period then UND does.

As far as Washington-Grizzly goes, I can't wait to see it. I plan on going to the Bison game against you while on vacation. I am sure it is louder and wilder then the FargoDome. I know the student section of the FargoDome is always up but the rest of the Dome has people just watching the game. Maybe we as fans can learn something from you guys.

When UND was playing on their old field (which no Joke CMR footballers...) it was, to paint a picture for you who have never seen it, a very nice playing field, but it was about the size of Butte or CMRs fields... as far as seating goes. They now play in a dome which is quite nice... not near as nice as the Hockey Arena (the Ralph Englestead Arena), which is one of the nicest facilities in the country... pro or college (and that's no joke). I think as far as the Fargo Dome goes, it is nicer than the Alerus Center here in Grand Forks (imo).

Anyhow, your attendance would have to be because of the facilities in the last 10 years. I know UND (gagh) football started playing at the Alerus only a few years ago.

Quote this and replay:

NDSU 10620 2nd in Nation
UND 9488 5th in Nation
NDSU 12115 2nd in Nation
UND 10517 3rd in Nation
NDSU 12723 1st in Nation
UND 7813 4th in Nation
NDSU 11410 4th in Nation
UND 7813 8th in Nation
NDSU 11589 3rd in Nation
UND 7692 7th in Nation

NDSU has not averaged below 9000 since 1981 when it was 8380.

Shaker - I will be at Missoula for the game. Hell, it will be the closest game to Wyoming. Obviously you are uninformed about the Fargodome and crowds there. Comparing a crown at Grand Froks to what goes on at NDSU is as silly as comparing the crowds at Montana to those at Montana State. Also, Memorial Stadium at UND (the old football field) was a hell of a lot bigger than the field at Charlie Russell in Great Falls. I have been to both and would have to disagree with you on that. You sound like a big talker with some difficulty with the facts....but then again why let facts limit you.... :lol:

I dont care if you could stuff 100K into the Fargo Dome. As I have said before, the best dome stadium is not as good as the worst outdoor stadium. Thats why you don't see any quality 1A programs with a Dome stadium. The Big Sky is one of the few 1AA conferences (maybe the only) with 2 domes. I would reluctantly accept Idaho back with its ugly dome but beyond that I hope the BSC is smart enough not too add another team with a dome.

The 1AA championship game has been in the west so few times. But the times that the championship game has been played in the west, Most if not all have been played in domes. I can only think of two championship games that were in the west, one in Pocatello and one in Tacoma. Both have domes. Of course, this isn't to say Fargo will ever host a 1AA championship game.

Also, it was planned to have Washington Griz stadium to eventually be domed. North end zone expansion stopped that.

I believe Fargo had tried to get the Div. II championship game right after the FargoDome was opened in 1992 but it never came about. You might be unfond of domes but it would be the only way a northern city could host a championship game. I am not saying either that Fargo would ever host the I-AA championship but would be a good spot especially if two west or midwest teams made it. What has been the largest I-AA championship crowd? I doubt it was ever over 20,000 due to spots that are far away from either championship team.

I believe both the 1995 and 1996 1AA championships were well over 20,000. But then Marshall played in a 30,000 capacity stadium. I think the games were sold out or close to it. Ever since then Chattanooga bid and won the right to host the championship game, and it barely holds 20,000.

Comparing the FargoDome and Washington-Grizzly Stadium is like comparing the Kibbie Dome to Michigan Stadium. Sure it can be great at a NDSU game and I'm sure they have some tradition and atmosphere. However, it can't compare to the atmosphere in Missoula. Look to the south and you've got beautiful Aber Hall (drank there too many times), the mountains behind you, Monte on the four wheeler leading the team on the field and having 19,000 supportive fans cheering on the Griz. You cant beat that. Where the FargoDome does win out is that Superchunk played a concert there and they didn't at Washington-Grizzly Stadium.

When it is below zero out I like the dome (although my preference if for outdoor football). I remember one Bison game against Montana State in the early 80's......it was so cold out that my beer (smuggled in of course) turned to slush. Never have had that happen in the dome... :eek:

So what is more important?

1. The beer or
2. watching football in the great outdoors breathing the nice fresh air.

I am more the outdoors type and can sacrifice everything to watch the Griz, so I choose 2.

How about a thought on domes from a player?
This was said during an interview with Tony Moss....

"I’m not a big fan of being inside, it feels like you’re running around on a basketball court, feels like there’s no air in the place."
-Western Illinois QB Russ Michna

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/3rdandlong.htm

Bison_Kent said:
I believe Fargo had tried to get the Div. II championship game right after the FargoDome was opened in 1992 but it never came about. You might be unfond of domes but it would be the only way a northern city could host a championship game. I am not saying either that Fargo would ever host the I-AA championship but would be a good spot especially if two west or midwest teams made it. What has been the largest I-AA championship crowd? I doubt it was ever over 20,000 due to spots that are far away from either championship team.
Actually, they've gone over 30,000. Montana will probably average over 20,000 in attendance this season.

WYOBISONMAN said:
When it is below zero out I like the dome (although my preference if for outdoor football). I remember one Bison game against Montana State in the early 80's......it was so cold out that my beer (smuggled in of course) turned to slush. Never have had that happen in the dome... :eek:

Beer never does what you say it did in Montana, with a Montanan. It doesn't stay in the cup long enough. Then again, for all of you who do not know back there in Montana... you can't purchase beer in a grocery store, drug store, or convieniant store. I was dumb founded by this. You have to go to a liqour store. F#@*ing Canadian like laws. I'm kind of out of this scence now, but bar time in North Dakota is at 12:45 AM. Now that really sucks for the College students. Oh, and micro brews... there idea of a micro brew at resteraunts is Henry's, Killians, and anything else domestic. I can at least get some Moose Drool here. And I will admit, there liqour stores carry a C+/B- supply of Micros.

Shakermaker, a dome may perfect for you then. I see lots of bandwagon jumping, micro-brew drinking yuppie's at pro sports games (except Lambeau field). If their team is in first place, they come in half way through the second quarter, make sure they are seen in their $1000 suits, and leave before the third quarter is over. If their team is having a bad season, they give their tickets away, or don't use them.

They have MOOSE DROOL there?!!! :eek: Well, now I might have to reconsider their admission into the conference! :D

Moose Drool.....great stuff.....NOT......I think you could probably patch an innertube with it. Get some Spanish Peaks Black Dog........ :lol:

On another note......is it true that Holt Arena at ISU holds less than 8000 for football? Are there any attendance requirements for D1aa football?

Back