• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Every DI conference championship (3/18/2013)

grizpsych

Check it out, I think this may help me with my March Madness picks. If there is interest, I will post updates here.

mQccyWW.gif

uKQghvL.gif

1Wlqrjz.gif

ZJm21Wk.gif

RKpQ9dU.gif

i0FyeTj.jpg

jBuP7Rf.gif

KPOgfTf.gif

NfKXSgW.gif

DwnZQYa.gif

dDvjyQC.gif

O4QwLaO.gif

XVrxjwv.gif

zC7kMIY.gif

cfv31Kwh.png

k6ZJNjN.gif

KEEu03g.gif

GYvf0Ur.gif

4Qjr7F1.gif

nRLsloO.gif

vXjmh1w.gif

gexCOs8.gif

NTAw71x.jpg

fucIdDr.gif

wkiYMca.jpg

B4SRrIL.gif

UEP78Pz.gif

jdQcGDo.gif

6oi7ElO.gif

cS3Wn6T.jpg

Let me know if I missed a conference.

Sunday I was listening to Mad Dog sports radio while driving from Missoula to Kalispell. I loved hearing the radio show host share an opinion with me. He was a little irritated that Liberty is in the NCAA tournament. He said teams with losing conference records, no matter their conference affiliation should never be eligible for the NCAA tournament. Which you have seen me post this many times. Here are some of the reasons he mentioned.

(1) These teams water down the validity of the best 68 teams.
(2) It is embarrassing to see a team with a losing record even qualify.
(3) The small conferences are costing themselves money from the tournament. Meaning less likely to pull off a few upsets. Conferences earn money from the NCAA the further teams in conferences advance.
(4) Conference visibility takes a hit for worse, when it should be for the better. His example being the WCC. Gonzaga proving itself as viable in a 1 bid conference was the stepping the stone the WCC needed. Since then, the conference has become a multiple bid conference and well respected. Their success has helped with finances, recruiting, respect, and competition. It is now a 2 bid conference on the verge of a 3 bid conference.
(5) Losing teams take away bids from more deserving teams that actually had great regular seasons. Unfortunately those bids are from the mid major and smaller conferences. The at large bids heavily favor the major conferences. So a 3 bid mid major conference goes down to 2 bids. Again meaning less money earned for the conference no matter how well the teams do. Something like that just lost the conference 33% of potential profit. 50% loss for 2 bid conferences that become 1 bid.
(6) Coach and player recognition. Coaches and players make names for themselves for better jobs and increase their draft stock during the NCAA tournament. It makes no sense to take that away from deserving teams and coaches because of a losing team getting in that will have very little impact.
(7) The losing team getting their ass kicked by a higher seeded team takes away from the conference visibility and respect. Potential recruits, shy away from playing teams and conferences that are not competitive. It always helps a conference visibility when their best team or teams are representing it. Coaches want potential recruits watching the better teams from a conference represent. They don't want them watching when the conference best teams are not playing.

The only reason for conference tournaments are for revenue, which only make sense for conferences with good attendance and tv rights. Smaller conferences lose more money from a bad team representing their conference. Meaning even a sold out Dahlberg for every game (which won't happen) makes the conference less revenue than 1 Big Sky team winning 1 game in the NCAA tournament. Also seeking empty seats on national tv for a conference semi final and finals game, is also a huge hit in credibility and respect when the favorites (hosting) teams are not there.

Anyway, it was good to hear a professional analyst break down the reasoning behind his opinion, that agrees with my opinion. As for following this, hell yes, I will follow this, well done.

mtgrizrule said:
Sunday I was listening to Mad Dog sports radio while driving from Missoula to Kalispell. I loved hearing the radio show host share an opinion with me. He was a little irritated that Liberty is in the NCAA tournament. He said teams with losing conference records, no matter their conference affiliation should never be eligible for the NCAA tournament. Which you have seen me post this many times. Here are some of the reasons he mentioned.

(3) The small conferences are costing themselves money from the tournament. Meaning less likely to pull off a few upsets. Conferences earn money from the NCAA the further teams in conferences advance.
(4) Conference visibility takes a hit for worse, when it should be for the better. His example being the WCC. Gonzaga proving itself as viable in a 1 bid conference was the stepping the stone the WCC needed. Since then, the conference has become a multiple bid conference and well respected. Their success has helped with finances, recruiting, respect, and competition. It is now a 2 bid conference on the verge of a 3 bid conference.
(5) Losing teams take away bids from more deserving teams that actually had great regular seasons. Unfortunately those bids are from the mid major and smaller conferences. The at large bids heavily favor the major conferences. So a 3 bid mid major conference goes down to 2 bids. Again meaning less money earned for the conference no matter how well the teams do. Something like that just lost the conference 33% of potential profit. 50% loss for 2 bid conferences that become 1 bid.
(6) Coach and player recognition. Coaches and players make names for themselves for better jobs and increase their draft stock during the NCAA tournament. It makes no sense to take that away from deserving teams and coaches because of a losing team getting in that will have very little impact.
(7) The losing team getting their ass kicked by a higher seeded team takes away from the conference visibility and respect. Potential recruits, shy away from playing teams and conferences that are not competitive. It always helps a conference visibility when their best team or teams are representing it. Coaches want potential recruits watching the better teams from a conference represent. They don't want them watching when the conference best teams are not playing.

The only reason for conference tournaments are for revenue, which only make sense for conferences with good attendance and tv rights. Smaller conferences lose more money from a bad team representing their conference. Meaning even a sold out Dahlberg for every game (which won't happen) makes the conference less revenue than 1 Big Sky team winning 1 game in the NCAA tournament. Also seeking empty seats on national tv for a conference semi final and finals game, is also a huge hit in credibility and respect when the favorites (hosting) teams are not there.

Anyway, it was good to hear a professional analyst break down the reasoning behind his opinion, that agrees with my opinion. As for following this, hell yes, I will follow this, well done.

Similar topic is on Yahoo right now. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/ticket-punched-liberty-becomes-second-20-loss-team-191943835--ncaab.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Updated 3.12.2013 @ 11:24 EST.

Conference Tournament Champions
West Coast Conference: Gonzaga University
Sun Belt Conference: Western Kentucky University
Southern Conference: Davidson College
Ohio Valley Conference: Belmont University
Missouri Valley Conference: Creighton University
Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference: Iona College
Colonial Athletic Conference: James Madison University
Big South Conference: Liberty
Atlantic Sun Conference: Florida Gulf Coast University

mtgrizrule said:

Strange that someone (who I've never heard of) that goes by Mad Dog doesnt understand the true nature of March MADNESS. I say give him a bone, kick out of the house and let him sleep in the dog house.

ordigger said:
mtgrizrule said:

Strange that someone (who I've never heard of) that goes by Mad Dog doesnt understand the true nature of March MADNESS. I say give him a bone, kick out of the house and let him sleep in the dog house.

I thought everyone knew "Mad Dog" sports is a XM/Sirius sports network with 24 hour programing. Feel free to search XM/Sirius channel line up, or google search Mad Dog sports. It is very solid radio sports network. They do have a lot of guests with the bigger sports networks and analysts from major publications as well. I really like their programming. They actually discuss more than the Major Conferences on their shows, and encourage fans from non major conferences to call into their shows. I wish they would be on more than just satellite radio.

LIU Brooklyn beat Mount St. Mary's in the NEC championship last night

South Dakota State beat North Dakota State in the Summit League Championship last night

And Valparaiso beat Wright State in the Horizona League Chmapionship last night.

Updated 3.13.2013 @ 11:24 EST.

Conference Tournament Champions
West Coast Conference: Gonzaga University
Sun Belt Conference: Western Kentucky University
Southern Conference: Davidson College
Ohio Valley Conference: Belmont University
Missouri Valley Conference: Creighton University
Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference: Iona College
Colonial Athletic Conference: James Madison University
Big South Conference: Liberty
Atlantic Sun Conference: Florida Gulf Coast University
The Summit League: South Dakota State University
Northeast Conference: Long Island University, Brooklyn
Horizon League: Valparaiso University

mtgrizrule said:
ordigger said:
mtgrizrule said:

I thought everyone knew "Mad Dog" sports is a XM/Sirius sports network with 24 hour programing. Feel free to search XM/Sirius channel line up, or google search Mad Dog sports. It is very solid radio sports network. They do have a lot of guests with the bigger sports networks and analysts from major publications as well. I really like their programming. They actually discuss more than the Major Conferences on their shows, and encourage fans from non major conferences to call into their shows. I wish they would be on more than just satellite radio.

They do have a good lineup but I don't agree with them on this in particular. The ability to turn your season around and make the tournament is what separates basketball from all other sports. While those kids at Liberty won't win a game they will get to play in a tournament game and for them that's quite a thrill. Once we go down the path of eliminating all teams with a losing record the big conferences will start trying to eliminate the lower conferences like the Big Sky and force our conference champs into the NIT so the 11th place team out of the ACC can make the dance. If UM or WSU make the dance the players and fans will go in thinking they have a chance to shock the world. Will they? Who knows but isn't the dream worth having a couple teams with losing records in the field? I say it is.

grizd said:
mtgrizrule said:
ordigger said:
mtgrizrule said:

They do have a good lineup but I don't agree with them on this in particular. The ability to turn your season around and make the tournament is what separates basketball from all other sports. While those kids at Liberty won't win a game they will get to play in a tournament game and for them that's quite a thrill. Once we go down the path of eliminating all teams with a losing record the big conferences will start trying to eliminate the lower conferences like the Big Sky and force our conference champs into the NIT so the 11th place team out of the ACC can make the dance. If UM or WSU make the dance the players and fans will go in thinking they have a chance to shock the world. Will they? Who knows but isn't the dream worth having a couple teams with losing records in the field? I say it is.
Who knows...play in game...they got a shot, that's considered an NCAA tourney victory

WyomingGrizFan said:
You'all over in Missoula ain't goin' ta be pullin' for that thar NAU team ov'er Weebs come thursday, ar' ya'?
I pry will be....I might have a change of heart at somepoint..but rooting for weber in hoops to me is like rooting for the cats in football....I will pry choose to root against WSU

Back