• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

ESPN in talks to create FCS football challenge

MrTitleist

Staff member
Interesting Tweet here... could be big for FCS brand.
https://twitter.com/JasonBelzer/status/345235256800055296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are they just refering to out of conf. Games... I don't think there is a can be a exempt game in college football

mtgrizfankb said:
Are they just refering to out of conf. Games... I don't think there is a can be a exempt game in college football

I'm guessing the games wouldn't count towards the coming season... the best example I can think of would be invitational games or preseason NFL.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

By exempt it means it would not count against the number of games a team can schedule. It certainly would count as a win or loss, be taken into consideration by the playoff selection committee, etc. So if UM participated in it, the Griz could still schedule their full 12 game slate if they wanted to and play a total of 13 games before the playoffs.

For example, when teams go and play at Hawaii in non-conference games, because of the extra cost of playing in Hawaii, those teams can play a total of 13 games to help make up for that added cost.

Would guess the home team in the FCS challenge (if the games are not at neutral sites, which I doubt would take place) would probably opt to keep their schedule at 12, while the road team may be inclined to play 13 games to help recoup the cost of travel. However, have to figure the teams that participate are probably going to be in the playoff mix, so adding a 13th game may not be too appealing when factoring in wear and tear on their players.

Either way, it would be a benefit to FCS and those teams that were selected to play in the challenge.

Just hard with a playoff format to think these games wouldn't be in the selection committee mind. Imagine if 2 teams were on the bubble but only one played in these games...and won. Could cause issues. However it would be great publicity for major fcs teams. Although only realistically only one west game would prob be played. In my mind espn would be better to pick up 5 major fcs games a year and influence them on Thursday or fFriday nights. Ratings would be high and you wouldnt screw with team schedule.

GrizBacker04 said:
Either way, it would be a benefit to FCS and those teams that were selected to play in the challenge.
Yeah except if you tack on 5 more playoff games (if an unseeded team advanced to the NC game) to a 13 game season then that is brutal...

Would the Ivies participate? Might be a way for them to get more exposure without sacrificing their academic concerns/bullcrap. It's a bit early in the year for them though. I know SWAC will want in on it.

mtgrizfankb said:
Just hard with a playoff format to think these games wouldn't be in the selection committee mind. Imagine if 2 teams were on the bubble but only one played in these games...and won. Could cause issues. However it would be great publicity for major fcs teams. Although only realistically only one west game would prob be played. In my mind espn would be better to pick up 5 major fcs games a year and influence them on Thursday or fFriday nights. Ratings would be high and you wouldnt screw with team schedule.

Selection committee would factor in these games. Exempt in this case only applies to the number of games a team can schedule. Right now that max is 12 regular season games. This game would be "exempt" from that total. Risk/reward in playing the game. A great non-conference win, exposure, etc. And a loss would not be completely damaging unless that team went out to have a bad year.

Grisly Fan said:
GrizBacker04 said:
Yeah except if you tack on 5 more playoff games (if an unseeded team advanced to the NC game) to a 13 game season then that is brutal...

I agree and mentioned that in the post. Would think the home team probably would not schedule a 13th game, while the road team might, depending on finances and such. 13 games and then a deep playoff run would be A LOT of football.

Follow-up from Craig Haley: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_06_13_2013.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a great idea, except they should skip the exempt part and make the games count. Take the top 6 teams in the pre-season pol and the let them slug it out. Set up a point system for playoff consideration and give the winners from the early face off a slight tie breaking edge in seeding come playoff time.
You win your first week game and wind up 10-2 vying for against another 10-2 for a top 4 seed, you get the seed.
Do it that way, and let casual viewers know that from the very first game of the year you're vying for championship, not a winning record and bowl appearance.

MrTitleist said:
Follow-up from Craig Haley: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_06_13_2013.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another idea at the bottom of that article that sounds interesting.....

Should the idea not fly, ESPN might find another way to increase FCS coverage. Its executives have even bandied around the idea of a midweek national game of the week - say, on a Tuesday - to expand coverage.

No doubt the FCS schools would embrace that idea as well.

grizfan95 said:
Why doesn't ESPN just pick up our game on Aug 31? Aren't we already doing their idea?

It's been discussed, but with little interest from ESPN. If ESPN did pick it up, it would be a thurs or fri night game, not saturday.

Tuesday games would be terrible for the fans you have and hardly important to the folks watching TV on a Tuesday night.

Back