• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

ESPN Announcers Blow it Bigtime!

ronbo

Well bow down to Grambling, according to ESPN the Number 1 team from 1AA. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Now after they get thumped it just stereotypes the 1AA image as a small time division.

As has been mentioned before on a previous thread, my respect for SI and their preseason rankings is gone. You don't have to watch Grambling for long to figure out they would be at best third or fourth in the Big Sky. They have good speed, but discipline seems to be lacking. Although, it is early and most teams will have more mental errors the first few games. But you can't tell me the Griz wouldn't roll them on a neutral site.

I believe the commentators attributed that to 'some publications'. Namely Sports Illustrated. We all know how well(or poorly rather) SI's preseason no. 1's have fared. So the credibility, or lack thereof, should be placed on SI.

I agree they said "Grambling considered Number One by some experts".

But then they have touted Grambling as 1AA's best offensive powerhouse at least a dozen times. I've lost count how many times they have said it.

So............

Anyone watching that doesn't know 1AA. 80% of the audience? Will automatically ASSUME that Grambling is the BEST in 1AA. The announcers are definately leading the audience that way.

OH MY GOD!!!! One of the announcers just said "Well it looks like the difference between 1A and 1AA is a lot wider than we thought it was." And the other guys ageed with him.

The stupid ignorant a$$es!

This ESPN game has been BAD for 1AA.

ronbo said:

But then they have touted Grambling as 1AA's best offensive powerhouse at least a dozen times. I've lost count how many times they have said it.

So............

Anyone watching that doesn't know 1AA. 80% of the audience? Will automatically ASSUME that Grambling is the BEST in 1AA. The announcers are definately leading the audience that way.

Good points. Agreed. Same goes for the comment about the gap between 1-A & 1-AA by the commentators.

I personally have never felt Grambling is anywhere near the cream of 1-AA. McNeese proved this last year when Grambling had a chance to show that they were a top 1-AA program. When have they ever shown that they are TRULY among the best in 1-AA?

Here are some excerpts from an article at i-aa.org......

McNeese State and Southern both embarrassed Grambling in 2002 and those contests will have strong elements of revenge when the Tigers face them again this season.

Here is the problem. The Tigers are saddled with such a weak schedule in SWAC play that the opportunities to prove themselves to the nation are few and far between.

Secondly, the SWAC doesn't participate in the I-AA playoffs. While that decision makes a lot of sense financially for Grambling and the conference, it does little to help remove the stigma that Grambling and other SWAC schools are not playing at the same level as the Georgia Southerns and Montanas of I-AA.

But Eugene fired mostly blanks in games last year against McNeese State and Southern, building the impression among some experts that his numbers were more a product of porous SWAC pass defenses than great ability.

....the entire story can be read at i-aa.org. These comments only fuel my feeling about Grambling.

The article......
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=46486

Maroon&SilverBlood said:
ronbo said:

So............

Good points. Agreed. Same goes for the comment about the gap between 1-A & 1-AA by the commentators.

I personally have never felt Grambling is anywhere near the cream of 1-AA. McNeese proved this last year when Grambling had a chance to show that they were a top 1-AA program. When have they ever shown that they are TRULY among the best in 1-AA?

And they proceeded the "well it looks that there is a bigger gap between 1A and 1AA football than we thought" with this "one of last years worst 1A defenses is shutting out 1AA's number 1 offense". Then the gap comment.

Too bad they won't put the Montana/Idaho game on national TV. That'll show them where they can put their gap.

Even McNeese States effort against Nebraska last year gave some indication of how the best teams in IAA can play for most the game with good IA teams. From what I understand, McNeese State received a standing ovation from the Nebraska crowd afterwards.

As for Idaho, I don't even consider them a IA program. We will pound them for what, the 4th year in a row this year? What I wouldn't give to have the Aggies come to town. That would be something.

That Grambling or should I say San Jose St. game tonight, made me sick to my stomach. I haven't felt that bad about football since..........well, you know when.

What up Dwyer?

Well Griz fans, according to Tony Moss we all know how to send emails. Does anyone have the email link to ESPN's sports department?

Actually, I did enjoy the game in one aspect. Every time my wife came into the room and looked at the TV she said "and he's fatter than you are too"!

I didn't intent to insult anyone with that remark as I also tend to be challenged in that area, but did anyone catch the announcers remark about Grambling matching up size wise! All I saw from the offensive line was a bunch of slow "Gilbert Browns", let alone a 6ft 2in 260lb Quarterback!

Back