• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Early Rankings for 2013-14

jon

Hey all,

If you are interested, thought it would be fun to take a very early look at rankings for next year! Obviously these will change, especially since teams are still signing players, etc. But could be a fun discussion starter!

http://www.bigskybball.com/2013/05/early-2013-14-big-sky-rankings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know what you think!

As usual, nice work Jon. It's hard to argue with any of your choices. I think Weebs is the favorite going in, but I truly think the loss of Scotty B is going to be bigger than what he contributes on the court. He's been their heart for 4 years. Bolomboy is a stud, though, and all of Weber's extra practice time and games in the CIT will help them.

I simply don't see UM falling to 4th, as you suggest could happen. I think that if that were to have happened, it would have been this year, with so many games lost to stars Cherry and Ward. And let's be honest, in this league, it's #1 and #1(a) with Weber and Montana, and you can throw a blanket around everyone else. Montana has the recent history of winning the big games, and Tinkle is a master motivator so it's difficult to say they don't have the edge over Weber.

I do agree UND will be very talented and should be an obvious choice for 3rd. Beyond that, it's a dice roll. Although I think you've got UNC a little high and SUU a little low. I know SUU loses a lot, but it's a difficult place to play. MSU? Who the eff knows what they're gonna roll out on any given night.

I agree with the top 4. Montana and Weber State will come back to the pack a little in conference play. I see the conference winner having 4 to 6 losses this season in conference play. UND really impressed me in the conference tournament. Weber State is a bad matchup for us on paper next year. They are the biggest reason why I am so concerned about the GRIZ post play going into next season.

I do agree with SUU falling back a few notches. They lost a lot but do have a few good young players.

EverettGriz said:
As usual, nice work Jon. It's hard to argue with any of your choices. I think Weebs is the favorite going in, but I truly think the loss of Scotty B is going to be bigger than what he contributes on the court. He's been their heart for 4 years. Bolomboy is a stud, though, and all of Weber's extra practice time and games in the CIT will help them.

I simply don't see UM falling to 4th, as you suggest could happen. I think that if that were to have happened, it would have been this year, with so many games lost to stars Cherry and Ward. And let's be honest, in this league, it's #1 and #1(a) with Weber and Montana, and you can throw a blanket around everyone else. Montana has the recent history of winning the big games, and Tinkle is a master motivator so it's difficult to say they don't have the edge over Weber.

I do agree UND will be very talented and should be an obvious choice for 3rd. Beyond that, it's a dice roll. Although I think you've got UNC a little high and SUU a little low. I know SUU loses a lot, but it's a difficult place to play. MSU? Who the eff knows what they're gonna roll out on any given night.

Yeah, I think it's more likely UM finishes 1 than 4, but UNC and UND at least have the talent to make you think they could take the next step and contend for top 2 status. But yeah, it's not likely.

UND should be a solid 3 since they returned just about everyone and got better as the year went along. It's a definite dice roll after that... UNC finished strong last year, and even though they lost a couple transfers, I think some of the PGs they brought in should help shore that up, which would be big for them, since Svihovec was all over the place last year. If they can get someone to step up there, I feel good about them at 4. After that, I had a really hard time... MSU is impossible to predict. EWU is talented but young. Sac State has backcourt talent, but terrible coaching. NAU, ISU, SUU will all be young and still trying to transition in year 2 of new coaches. PSU should be bad.

Once again, I think it will be UM/WSU up top... and then I think UND/UNC in the second tier... and then everyone else.

I think alot of UM's success this coming year will be determined by the overall development of Andy Martin in the middle. I would anticipate that DeShields will be back and will have a great year, but may be suspended for a game or two early. It doesn't sound like the charges against him are that serious.

If Martin shows the same degree of improvement in the off season that he showed at the end of last year the Griz will once again have a dominant defensive presence inside. The Griz are still in need of another big man and some overall depth but I think they will be in good shape from the perimeter with Jamar, Gregory, Weisner and DeShields.

I agree that Weber should be considered the favorite going in to next year. I would anticipate though that ISU, with the defensive minded Bill Evans in his second year as head coach will be better than people think they might. I wouldn't be surprised to see them fight for a top 4 spot.

Back