• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

DUI charge dropped against Tru

BWahlberg

DONOR
I had been hearing this may be the case (might have also read it on here as well), he did well in his field tests well but refused the breathalyzer. Seems very much like the route Nate Montana went down, doesn't it? DUI to reckless driving?

Hopefully a lesson learned and Trumaine can move forward with no further incidents.

St. Louis Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson pleaded guilty Wednesday in Missoula Municipal Court to amended charges of reckless driving and the unlawful refusal of a breath test after being charged in March with misdemeanor drunken driving.

The drunken driving charge filed after Johnson was pulled over and arrested March 22 was dropped as part of a plea deal with the city of Missoula.

A former football player for the University of Montana, Johnson is currently in St. Louis, but was present Wednesday morning via a conference call. His attorney, Paul Ryan, was in court.

Municipal Court Judge Sam Warren sentenced Johnson to 90 days in the Missoula County jail, all suspended. He must pay a $300 fine and enroll in the ACT treatment program by June 18.

Johnson was fined $500 for the unlawful refusal of a breath test charge.

Johnson will also make a $2,500 donation to the Missoula County DUI Task Force “in an effort to inform and protect others on the dangers associated with drinking and driving,” a copy of the plea agreement said.

Johnson also agreed to remove a petition to have his driver’s license reinstated as part of the plea deal with the city. A citation for driving without headlights was dropped.

In March, Johnson, 23, pleaded not guilty to a misdemeanor driving under the influence of alcohol charge.

Missoula police officers stopped Johnson’s car around 2 a.m. March 22 near the corner of Front and Owen streets because Johnson was driving without headlights.

During the course of the stop, he was arrested for DUI.

The citation issued to Johnson said that he refused a breath test. He also was cited for driving without headlights.

Johnson maintains he wasn’t intoxicated, but believes Wednesday’s sentence is a fair resolution to the incident, Ryan said after the proceedings.

Johnson never took a breath test and performed well on physical intoxication tests administered the night of his arrest, Ryan said.

“He just wants to apologize for any embarrassment this caused the community, the Rams, or his friends and family,” Ryan said.

The NFL mandated that Johnson enroll in its Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse, which could include random testing, Ryan said.

Ryan told the judge Johnson would have the fines fully paid by June 1.

Looks like the prosecution didn't have the evidence to meet the burden of proof so they plea bargained. Maybe they did learn something from the JJ trial after all.... ;)

GrizPony said:
Looks like the prosecution didn't have the evidence to meet the burden of proof so they plea bargained. Maybe they did learn something from the JJ trial after all.... ;)

It doesn't matter now. With DUI refusal laws in place, Tru will be eligible for a blood draw if he tries this again. A burden of proof for refusal is easily established when a Defendant either does or does not provide a breath sample. Tru did not, and by law, he's opened some doors for future criminal endeavors.\

And by the way, it was the City of Missoula, not the County. Good detective work, GrizPony.

Jerry Punch said:
GrizPony said:

It doesn't matter now. With DUI refusal laws in place, Tru will be eligible for a blood draw if he tries this again. A burden of proof for refusal is easily established when a Defendant either does or does not provide a breath sample. Tru did not, and by law, he's opened some doors for future criminal endeavors.\

And by the way, it was the City of Missoula, not the County. Good detective work, GrizPony.

Yeah big difference between the City and County in Missoula sport. You are asinine at best. I know you hope for a future instance where he can be drawn (and quartered?) but you forgot about the instant case, you know, where he was NOT convicted despite your biased desires. :thumb:

GrizPony said:
Jerry Punch said:
GrizPony said:

Yeah big difference between the City and County in Missoula sport. You are asinine at best. I know you hope for a future instance where he can be drawn (and quartered?) but you forgot about the instant case, you know, where he was NOT convicted despite your biased desires. :thumb:

Actually it is a substantial difference. And no, I do not hope anyone drives drunk. I think it is a great irresponsibility. You should read the law on this and get back to me. I'll get you started: A refusal is exactly equal to a prior DUI conviction for purposes of the blood draw.

Damn he got a harsh sentence for a first time DUI that was reduced to a reckless. He should get a better lawyer.

BWahlberg said:
I had been hearing this may be the case (might have also read it on here as well), he did well in his field tests well but refused the breathalyzer. Seems very much like the route Nate Montana went down, doesn't it? DUI to reckless driving?

Hopefully a lesson learned and Trumaine can move forward with no further incidents.

St. Louis Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson pleaded guilty Wednesday in Missoula Municipal Court to amended charges of reckless driving and the unlawful refusal of a breath test after being charged in March with misdemeanor drunken driving.

The drunken driving charge filed after Johnson was pulled over and arrested March 22 was dropped as part of a plea deal with the city of Missoula.

A former football player for the University of Montana, Johnson is currently in St. Louis, but was present Wednesday morning via a conference call. His attorney, Paul Ryan, was in court.

Municipal Court Judge Sam Warren sentenced Johnson to 90 days in the Missoula County jail, all suspended. He must pay a $300 fine and enroll in the ACT treatment program by June 18.

Johnson will also make a $2,500 donation to the Missoula County DUI Task Force “in an effort to inform and protect others on the dangers associated with drinking and driving,” a copy of the plea agreement said.

Johnson also agreed to remove a petition to have his driver’s license reinstated as part of the plea deal with the city. A citation for driving without headlights was dropped.

In March, Johnson, 23, pleaded not guilty to a misdemeanor driving under the influence of alcohol charge.

Missoula police officers stopped Johnson’s car around 2 a.m. March 22 near the corner of Front and Owen streets because Johnson was driving without headlights.

The citation issued to Johnson said that he refused a breath test. He also was cited for driving without headlights.

Johnson maintains he wasn’t intoxicated, but believes Wednesday’s sentence is a fair resolution to the incident, Ryan said after the proceedings.

Johnson never took a breath test and performed well on physical intoxication tests administered the night of his arrest, Ryan said.

“He just wants to apologize for any embarrassment this caused the community, the Rams, or his friends and family,” Ryan said.

The NFL mandated that Johnson enroll in its Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse, which could include random testing, Ryan said.

Does he ever learn? Sorry, but My patience is pretty thin with Tru. Time to grow the hell up. Play with fire - sooner or later you (or someone else) gets burned.

Copper Griz said:
BWahlberg said:

Does he ever learn? Sorry, but My patience is pretty thin with Tru. Time to grow the hell up. Play with fire - sooner or later you (or someone else) gets burned.

"Your patience with Tru is pretty thin?" Now that's pretty funny. As if Tru (or anyone else) would actually care what you think.

BDizzle said:
Damn he got a harsh sentence for a first time DUI that was reduced to a reckless. He should get a better lawyer.

They were probably still miffed about the negotiations and assertions involving the taser incident. "Harsh sentence"? No jail time, a small amount of money to him. Wreckless is much better than a dui, generally, for the future, and for insurance purposes. Resolution of the matter fairly quickly--as opposed to 6 mos. or a year later.

PlayerRep said:
BDizzle said:

They were probably still miffed about the negotiations and assertions involving the taser incident. "Harsh sentence"? No jail time, a small amount of money to him. Wreckless is much better than a dui, generally, for the future, and for insurance purposes. Resolution of the matter fairly quickly--as opposed to 6 mos. or a year later.

If he was convicted of a DUI he would have lost 2 game checks under the NFL substance abuse policy. By my calculations that is about $50,000. This wasn't his first go around with the Missoula Police, and they were non too happy with him after the last go around. I would say the sentence is just fine. I would guess the money to him is a little different than it is to you BDizzle. Plus, a donation to the Police isn't such a bad thing for his PR in Missoula.

PlayerRep said:
Copper Griz said:
BWahlberg said:

"Your patience with Tru is pretty thin?" Now that's pretty funny. As if Tru (or anyone else) would actually care what you think.

Then why did you respond to the post dumb ass.

Copper Griz said:
PlayerRep said:
Copper Griz said:
BWahlberg said:

Then why did you respond to the post dumb ass.

If I didn't respond to dumbass posts, I wouldn't make nearly as many responses.

Jerry Punch said:
GrizPony said:
Jerry Punch said:
GrizPony said:

Actually it is a substantial difference. And no, I do not hope anyone drives drunk. I think it is a great irresponsibility. You should read the law on this and get back to me. I'll get you started: A refusal is exactly equal to a prior DUI conviction for purposes of the blood draw.

I will inform you dipshit. He wasn't convicted so save your indignation and head back into your glass house. Talked to his attorney and the prosecution didn't have the evidence. Hence the plea bargain. Jerry you are a one trick pony at best.

Back