• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Does Carroll draw more fans than half of the BSC?

Silvertip

Well-known member
Spinning around BSTV and ROOT yesterday the "crowd" shots showed mostly empty seats masquerading as fans at UNC (3,478), PSU, NAU and ISU, Checking a video replay of the Saints game most of their 7,000 seats seemed to actually be occupied. If it weren't for the Montana duo and EWU BSC attendance numbers would - no surprise - be totally in the dumper.

Football at any level isn't cheap. Gotta wonder how many of these programs will eventually survive?... furthermore, should they survive? And do we even care :?: :coffee:

PS: The Griz drew the day's biggie, 6,361 at SacSt...
 
Found this article that said their average attendance (in 2010 anyway) was just under 6000 per game.

Here are last year's numbers for the Big Sky:

Griz: 25,236
MSU: 17,627
Sac: 9,109
UND: 8,962
CP: 8,566
UCD: 8,215
EWU: 8,089
Web: 7,416
NAU: 6,787
PSU: 5,957
ISU: 5,918
SUU: 5,435
UNC: 4,248

So Carroll is probably around the PSU / ISU level for attendance if what was reported in that article is still accurate today.
 
Silvertip said:
Spinning around BSTV and ROOT yesterday the "crowd" shots showed mostly empty seats masquerading as fans at UNC (3,478), PSU, NAU and ISU, Checking a video replay of the Saints game most of their 7,000 seats seemed to actually be occupied. If it weren't for the Montana duo and EWU BSC attendance numbers would - no surprise - be totally in the dumper.

Football at any level isn't cheap. Gotta wonder how many of these programs will eventually survive?... furthermore, should they survive? And do we even care :?: :coffee:

PS: The Griz drew the day's biggie, 6,361 at SacSt...

EWU? EWU's attendance is part of the problem. Don't they draw less than half of MSU's average? I know their excuse is that there is another team in Pullman, but that isn't really it. I seriously doubt Average Joe from Spokane gets up on Saturday and says, "Gee, I would be a huge EWU fan and go to the game in Cheney if it wasn't for the fact that a perennial PAC 12 cellar dweller is 1.5 hours away."
 
CDAGRIZ said:
Silvertip said:
Spinning around BSTV and ROOT yesterday the "crowd" shots showed mostly empty seats masquerading as fans at UNC (3,478), PSU, NAU and ISU, Checking a video replay of the Saints game most of their 7,000 seats seemed to actually be occupied. If it weren't for the Montana duo and EWU BSC attendance numbers would - no surprise - be totally in the dumper.

Football at any level isn't cheap. Gotta wonder how many of these programs will eventually survive?... furthermore, should they survive? And do we even care :?: :coffee:

PS: The Griz drew the day's biggie, 6,361 at SacSt...

EWU? EWU's attendance is part of the problem. Don't they draw less than half of MSU's average? I know their excuse is that there is another team in Pullman, but that isn't really it. I seriously doubt Average Joe from Spokane gets up on Saturday and says, "Gee, I would be a huge EWU fan and go to the game in Cheney if it wasn't for the fact that a perennial PAC 12 cellar dweller is 1.5 hours away."
EWU is pretty much sold out until they expand their NAIA quality stadium.
 
kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Silvertip said:
Spinning around BSTV and ROOT yesterday the "crowd" shots showed mostly empty seats masquerading as fans at UNC (3,478), PSU, NAU and ISU, Checking a video replay of the Saints game most of their 7,000 seats seemed to actually be occupied. If it weren't for the Montana duo and EWU BSC attendance numbers would - no surprise - be totally in the dumper.

Football at any level isn't cheap. Gotta wonder how many of these programs will eventually survive?... furthermore, should they survive? And do we even care :?: :coffee:

PS: The Griz drew the day's biggie, 6,361 at SacSt...

EWU? EWU's attendance is part of the problem. Don't they draw less than half of MSU's average? I know their excuse is that there is another team in Pullman, but that isn't really it. I seriously doubt Average Joe from Spokane gets up on Saturday and says, "Gee, I would be a huge EWU fan and go to the game in Cheney if it wasn't for the fact that a perennial PAC 12 cellar dweller is 1.5 hours away."
EWU is pretty much sold out until they expand their NAIA quality stadium.

Which is kind of my point. If they had any fan support whatsoever, the bleachers would already be expanded into a stadium. Joe Albi was and is a far superior venue.
 
Recall one of PR's heros, BSC Commissioner Doug Fullerton, sold the notion to the BSC presidents that the BSC had to replace Idaho, BSU and Nevada with programs from large metropolitan areas and viewing audiences, because they would love 1AA level football. So in comes Northridge, SacSt, PSU and UNC and not NDSU and SDSU. How is that working out BSC presidents; any positive financial impact? And he still has the job. Small College football draws when it does not have to compete with major college or pro football and is the only game in town.
 
kemajic said:
Recall one of PR's heros, BSC Commissioner Doug Fullerton sold the notion to the BSC presidents that the BSC had to replace Idaho, BSU and Nevada with programs from large metropolitan areas and viewing audiences, because they would love 1AA level football. So in comes SacSt, PSU and UNC and not NDSU and SDSU. How is that working out BSC presidents; any positive financial impact? And he still has the job. Small College football draws when it does not have to compete with major college or pro football and is the only game in town.

Sac I can see... They drew fairly well last year compared to the rest of the Big Sky (#3 in conference). Plus in Basketball they are getting a new arena, which is great and hopefully will breath some life into their BB program. So at least they are trying to make some improvements.

UNC is just awful... attendance is awful, football team losing to lower division teams regularly, and all that good stuff.

PSU has an exciting football team (not very good though) but still doesn't draw worth a shit.

NDSU and SDSU would've been awesome for the Big Sky. Both for Football and Basketball. NDSU and SDSU don't draw great for basketball, but they'd be #3 and #4 in attendance still, plus both are top 100 RPI, which only 2 teams in the Big Sky ever sniff (the Griz and Weber).

You should see the Big Sky attendance numbers in basketball. It's horrible. Most teams draw less than 2000 fans per game, with some even lower than 1000. Only Weber and the Griz draw a decent amount.
 
North Dakota State was a DII when the Big Sky expanded with the three teams you mentioned. They hadn't even thought about beginning the process of moving up to FCS back in the 1990's
 
CDAGRIZ said:
Joe Albi was and is a far superior venue.

Gee, ya think?

35618455.jpg


Eastern will never move games back to Joe Albi; not with all the investment in the infrastructure at Roos the past couple of years (new Video board, expanded upper parking lot, new concessions and bathrooms, etc.) and the plan in place for the Gateway Expansion. Plus, the students would never agree to move the games back out to Spokane. The fact that they played there for so long is a major factor in why old Woodward was neglected for so long.

Our attendance is just fine relative to our stadium capacity. And as Kem mentioned, we are pretty much sold out until the expansion happens. Getting 10k plus fans to games that didn't involve playing against a team with Montana in their name wouldn't have happened as recently as 5 years ago.

http://sites.ewu.edu/foundation/2012/04/20/the-gateway-project/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 
EWURanger29 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Joe Albi was and is a far superior venue.

Getting 10k plus fans to games that didn't involve playing against a team with Montana in their name wouldn't have happened as recently as 5 years ago.

http://sites.ewu.edu/foundation/2012/04/20/the-gateway-project/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How many more do you think are going to come to games after the Gotwood Project happens? Nobody I know has had an issue getting a ticket as it sits now, so I'm not sure how high the demand is.
 
havgrizfan said:
North Dakota State was a DII when the Big Sky expanded with the three teams you mentioned. They hadn't even thought about beginning the process of moving up to FCS back in the 1990's
NDSU and SDSU applied in the early 2000's, before UNC was considered. Northridge had left and we were back to 8. They were turned down; then UNC was offered, which like NDSU and SDSU, were transition programs in the Great West. Still under the Fullerton argument that they would bring in the Denver market.... Ha!

While there was an explanation that the Dakotas were too far east (same area as UND, which was later admitted), one has to suspect the presidents were afraid NDSU and SDSU would raise the bar in competition and AD spending (correct assumption); better to bring in a comfy dormat, UNC. Many of these same presidents had been glad to see BSU and Nevada leave for the same reason.
 
There is no way -- NO WAY -- sac draws 9k+ per game. Those numbers are inflated.

And most of those programs survive with student athletic fees 3X what UM's are.
 
EverettGriz said:
There is no way -- NO WAY -- sac draws 9k+ per game. Those numbers are inflated.

And most of those programs survive with student athletic fees 3X what UM's are.

Those are the official numbers from the NCAA on NCAASports.com.

Here were their home games from last year that ESPN still has attendance numbers for (only 3).

Weber: 12,106
Cal Poly: 8,113
MSU: 7,143 (wtf?)

Their attendance is down this year though for some reason, so I don't think it's going to be 9k again. So far they have:

Southern Oregon: 7,543
Southern Utah: 5,612
Northern Colorado: 9,012
Northern Arizona: 6,108
Montana: 6,361 (again...wtf?)

So you can see their numbers jump all oer the damn place for absolutely no reason. One game they draw 12k for Weber, then they draw 6k for the Griz.... another they draw 9k for Northern Colorado, and only 5600 for Southern Utah. Very strange.

They've been pretty good on attendance though compared to the rest of the Big Sky. In 2011 they averaged 9,553 but in 2010 they averaged only around 7500.

You can see the attendance numbers for all FCS teams going way back here:
NCAA Football Attendance

Kind of surprised me too, but I don't think their numbers are inflated.
 
Potomac Griz said:
EverettGriz said:
There is no way -- NO WAY -- sac draws 9k+ per game. Those numbers are inflated.

And most of those programs survive with student athletic fees 3X what UM's are.

Those are the official numbers from the NCAA on NCAASports.com.

Here were their home games from last year that ESPN still has attendance numbers for (only 3).

Weber: 12,106
Cal Poly: 8,113
MSU: 7,143 (wtf?)

Their attendance is down this year though for some reason, so I don't think it's going to be 9k again. So far they have:

Southern Oregon: 7,543
Southern Utah: 5,612
Northern Colorado: 9,012
Northern Arizona: 6,108
Montana: 6,361 (again...wtf?)

So you can see their numbers jump all oer the damn place for absolutely no reason. One game they draw 12k for Weber, then they draw 6k for the Griz.... another they draw 9k for Northern Colorado, and only 5600 for Southern Utah. Very strange.

They've been pretty good on attendance though compared to the rest of the Big Sky. In 2011 they averaged 9,553 but in 2010 they averaged only around 7500.

You can see the attendance numbers for all FCS teams going way back here:
NCAA Football Attendance

Kind of surprised me too, but I don't think their numbers are inflated.
Montana and Montana State were the only two BSC teams that ranked in the FCS top 30 in attendance in 2012... :yikes:
 
The attendance for this Montana game at 6,300 is a real head scratcher. On TV it appeared our fans were almost as numerous as theirs. At the least, it looked like 1/3rd were Griz Nation. So in essence there were only 3,000 to 4,000 Hornet fans who showed up for this game. Anyone who attended care to comment if my estimates look accurate?

Also any bets if there are more So Dakota coyote fans attending in Vermillion, SD (pop. 10,500) vs. the Sac State fans who attended in Sacramento, CA (pop. 475,000)? :ugeek:
 
Back to Carroll's attendance. Since it has been a dominant program in the NAIA, including above average alumni financial support, their fans continually support their program. Winning is fun, albeit they have had a few stumbles over the years. Their tailgates are sort of a mini-Griz deal, lots of food, drink, and welcoming "better-than-thou" attitudes.
As for me, I'm grabbing a 12-pack and some potato chips and heading to Dillon this week-end for the Bulldog vs the Evil Tech bastards last game of the season. Should be a good one between two mediocre teams in the standings. Good 'ol small college football...parents, grandparents, students, area residents with nothing else to do, and the boot camp kids, all in attendance. Spirited football still! Under the lights at 5,000'. The soak at Jackson Hot Springs later will cap the day, as long as the Griz pull a win in S. Dakota.
 
kemajic said:
Recall one of PR's heros, BSC Commissioner Doug Fullerton, sold the notion to the BSC presidents that the BSC had to replace Idaho, BSU and Nevada with programs from large metropolitan areas and viewing audiences, because they would love 1AA level football. So in comes Northridge, SacSt, PSU and UNC and not NDSU and SDSU. How is that working out BSC presidents; any positive financial impact? And he still has the job. Small College football draws when it does not have to compete with major college or pro football and is the only game in town.
Thanks for my "belly laugh of the day"...Kem. :egriz:
 
EWURanger29 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Joe Albi was and is a far superior venue.

Gee, ya think?

35618455.jpg


Eastern will never move games back to Joe Albi; not with all the investment in the infrastructure at Roos the past couple of years (new Video board, expanded upper parking lot, new concessions and bathrooms, etc.) and the plan in place for the Gateway Expansion. Plus, the students would never agree to move the games back out to Spokane. The fact that they played there for so long is a major factor in why old Woodward was neglected for so long.

Our attendance is just fine relative to our stadium capacity. And as Kem mentioned, we are pretty much sold out until the expansion happens. Getting 10k plus fans to games that didn't involve playing against a team with Montana in their name wouldn't have happened as recently as 5 years ago.

http://sites.ewu.edu/foundation/2012/04/20/the-gateway-project/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Gateway Project announced a year and a half ago included a lot of great artist's renderings, but no timetable for breaking ground. Is there one or is the GP just a pipe dream :?:
 
Back
Top