• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Does anybody know who got their scholies cut?

H-townGriz

I hear that 3-4 Griz players have had their rides cut, I have also heard some names but Im not sure of the info so I would rather not say names. Does anybody know for sure who lost their rides.

I have been assured the Griz staff doesn't believe in "cutting players' rides" because they are not playing at the level expected by the coaches who recruited them. I would not be surprised, however, if some players transfered to schools where they had better opportunities to play.

then again The current coach's are not the coach's who recruited most kids on the team. I'm not at all sure but the name's I have heard so far are Stern, Selle, Hamill, and maybe Josh Johnson. Again dont take this as for sure it is just what I am hearing. I know for a fact someone is visiting Carroll on Monday.

I also heard from a player that there were some scholarships cut. He didn't volunteer names, and I didn't ask. He just said "I kept mine," with a big grin.

Do you even know which of those players is on scholarship? I am sure none of those players got their scholarships "cut," but I wouldn't be surprised if some players found teams where they had better opportunities to play.

Stern, Selle, and Johnson were on full rides, Hamill was on a partial. I am now fairly sure that those 4 did have they rides cut. That does not mean that they cant still play as a walk on.

These are the facts. The way I see it is that Hauck is going to do a little house cleaning in order to make room for some transfers - div1A drop downs. also its my belief that he has every intention of playing both Chris Clark and Van Cooper this season. I heard that the knock on Johnson is that he didnt have "good feet". whatever that really means who knows. Expect to see one thing in the secondary that Hauck coach's Speed. All I know is that if Vern Smith runs into grade trouble that that secondary will be tested early and often.

H-townGriz said:
These are the facts. The way I see it is that Hauck is going to do a little house cleaning in order to make room for some transfers - div1A drop downs. also its my belief that he has every intention of playing both Chris Clark and Van Cooper this season. I heard that the knock on Johnson is that he didnt have "good feet". whatever that really means who knows. Expect to see one thing in the secondary that Hauck coach's Speed. All I know is that if Vern Smith runs into grade trouble that that secondary will be tested early and often.

Seems like EWU had plenty of sucess testing Smith early and often.

Thanks for the info H-town.
I hope i dont come across as shooting the messenger.
The one thing i do know about the Safeties is that Decoite-who is coming off injury- will be the only returning starter.
Kevin Edwards has made some good plays and some horrible ones...i do think he will turn out ok though.
Tyler Thomas has done nothing to impress me. Perhaps he's not on scholarship, if so i can't see keeping him over Johnson.
Other than that we dont have any Safeties who have played.
Ooops i forgot scholle, but he has spent more time injured than healthy.
Without the kids being cut we'll have this...
SS
SR 4 Dave DeCoite
FR Matt Lebsock?
FS
SO 23 Kevin Edwards
SO 31 Tyler Thomas
FR 18 Jelani Gamba
FR Tyson Johnson-or is he a corner? i cant remember off the top of my head?

Of the backups-Gamba, will be very good, IMHO. However, what do i know, i thought/think Johnson is about the same.

One of our big problems last year was that both Young and DeCoite were dinged during the last part of the season...to the point that they were at about 75% of their normal effectiveness. If DeCoites ankle gets tweaked(or if his bad grades come back) we'll be in serious trouble.
Maybe the coaches are planing on a 1-a Safety in addition to one or 2 1-a corners.

I was looking at the roster and even with the new guys that will be here this fall the Griz will be below the max of 90 allowed before school begins...or did i misscount?

Latest posts

Back