• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Disappointment in Missoula area griz fans!

SpokaneGriz

I couldn't believe the lousy attendance at the playoff game this past Saturday. All of you Missoulians that sat at home watching the game on tv should be embarrased to call yourself a true griz fan. :fist:

I went and watched the Mens BBall team as well on Saturday and wasn't suprised at the 1,500 in attendance. I must say that you are all missing out! The Griz have got some talent this year! Get off your couches and go support the Griz. Nice stadium, good coach, raw talent, and a close up view of Sugar Bears. Back in the day, Griz teams didn't have half the talent nor the facilities and the house was packed. What is Missoula coming to? :roll:

All the Missoula fans I know were at the Griz game. But, the people who normally sit around us ... from Butte, from Great Falls, from Helena, from Stevi ... were the ones who were missing. It didn't surprise me. That's the way it has always been for Thanksgiving weekend playoff games. I know, as I have been at every single one of them held in WaGriz. I had guess-timated there would be 16,000 on Saturday, and that's about what it was.

'68griz said:
All the Missoula fans I know were at the Griz game. But, the people who normally sit around us ... from Butte, from Great Falls, from Helena, from Stevi ... were the ones who were missing. It didn't surprise me. That's the way it has always been for Thanksgiving weekend playoff games. I know, as I have been at every single one of them held in WaGriz. I had guess-timated there would be 16,000 on Saturday, and that's about what it was.

16,000 is about par year in and year out for Tgiving weekend isn't it??? I don't recall the stadium selling out when they were minus 4,000 seats.

I personally think that the game should have been blacked out in Missoula until it sold out. With winter roads and such, driving across the state can be treacherous so the non-Missoula Griz fans can be excused, however I talked to a waitress at Paradise Falls and she said that there were quite a suprising number of folks watching the game at the bar and my guess is that they weren't the only bar in town with full barstools.
School Break
Thanksgiving
Hunting
Griz losing to Bobcats
No matter what the excuse...............
Who gives a crap, its Playoff time!

This weekend's attendance was in line with other first round playoff games. Last year 15,000+ showed up. The major factors for such low attendance (by GRIZ standards that is) are that it's Thanksgiving and people are traveling and students are gone as well as it's the last weekend of hunting season and hunters are out one last time trying to shoot an elk. For those who were there at the game they know it was louder and the crowd was more involved in the game than all year.

Ditto what everybody said about thanksgiving as cause for lower turnout. Always have been this way. In 2001, due to 9/11 playoffs were pushed back a week so schools could rescheduled canceled games to a later date. Griz vs Idaho was moved to thanksgiving weekend. Well, the first playoff game the week after the thanksgiving weekend was close to being on par with regular season games, around 18,000+ fans.

As for the Griz basketball game last saturday, it was just over 3,000 fans, but still not many compared to how good and exciting this team is.

Didn't we already have this conversation? And I real don't see how criticizing fans is relevant to anything for the next five months or so. Are you going to say that all of those people who live in Missoula and don't join the roughly 2000-4000 fans who go to the spring scrimages are pathetic too? They don't even have the Holiday weekend excuse then.

There is life beyond Griz football like FAMILY. My parents thought about going to the game from out of town, but my brother decided to show for Tgiving, so they didn't go.

Thanksgiving weekend has never sold out and never will. However, I have been to every single Griz playoff game since 1994 and none have completely sold out to the point where every seat was taken. People have always been annoyed with tiocket prices for playoffs. One thing is certain Wash/Griz is always louder for po games because the true football fans show up instead of the Monty and Griz Vision fans that frequent regular season games. I miss the days when every game was deafening and the noise was something Griz fans prided themselves on. I do agree that people have other things to do but I also agree that games that are not completely sold out should be blacked out in Missoula. I live in Havre and made it to six out of eight home games this season and have never missed a playoff game even though I left Missoula in 1997.

If it means anything, attendance at the non televised playoff game in grand forks drew only about 600 more than the televised playoff game the week before. Many of the extras may have been visiting fans. It might not have the impact that your thinking?

my 3 cents on the volume....

IT DID SEEM LOUD TO ME AS WELL!

must of been 16K serious Griz fans, I know everyone in our section were screaming their heads off.

..does that mean during a full house that the other 8K fans are faking it?

SpokaneGriz said:
I personally think that the game should have been blacked out in Missoula until it sold out. With winter roads and such, driving across the state can be treacherous so the non-Missoula Griz fans can be excused,[/b][/i][/u]

Punishing Missoula fans by blacking out the game would be a huge mistake - Look what happened in Seattle with the Seahawks - they stop selling out, so they blackout games, so the casual or less affluent fan can no longer watch them, so they no longer care, excitement's gone and nobody cares anymore. It is very difficult to get fan's back once you alienate them. Do you really think kids in Missoula shouldn't get to watch a playoff game because their parents couldn't or wouldn't go to the game?

BTW, there were very few people in my section, for the game. The ones that were there were from Missoula, the ones that weren't there were mostly from Helena and Dillon. Probably 75 - 80% of the crowd was from Missoula. I think to get another 8,000 people from Missoula who are not season ticket holders and probably haven't gone to a game all season to go to the game on Thanksgiving weekened when a lot of people leave town or have family in town is not reasonable. With 1/2 the normal out of town football fans gone, and almost all the students, 20,000 people from Missoula would have to go to the game to sell out, which is about 25% of the non-student population.

It is sad about the small basketball crowds in general, but again I think that goes back at least somewhat to alientating the Missoula fans with teh revised seating. It sucks to pay $7 bucks for a seat, sit 12 rows from the top at teh baseline, and look down and see all the best seats empty because they are reserved for GSA members who mostly live out of town and only come for the Bobcat game. Add on to that the football game and Thanksgiving weekend and you can see why scheduling the tourney for last weekend was not the best idea for putting fans in the seats (between tailgating, the football game, and Saturday nights basketball games I was there for more than 12 hours on Saturday - going back Sunday would mean being cut off for months).

As for basketball, I know that a lot of us folks north of Missoula aren't putting are lives on the line to go watch a basketball game. Saturday night on Hwy. 93 can be deadly.

PolsonGrizFan said:
my 3 cents on the volume....

IT DID SEEM LOUD TO ME AS WELL!

must of been 16K serious Griz fans, I know everyone in our section were screaming their heads off.

..does that mean during a full house that the other 8K fans are faking it?

I've got to agree with you on this, for sure. I know I, for one, was plenty hoarse after the game.

Another sign of how loud it was is the number of false start penalties WIU had--Eight!--all caused by the noise. Their running back, Glassford, said that they were unprepared for how loud it would be, and thought they were back playing at LSU again. That's a pretty big compliment to the crowd, as LSU's crowd is known as one of the loudest in all of college football. Unfortunately, they seemed to be able to overcome all of them.

I thought the playoff crowd was much louder than I have heard this year, and attributed it to moving to a different section to sit with family when my regular seatmates were gone for Thanksgiving. I now think I was wrong, and that a smaller crowd was a noisier crowd. I have long suspected the expansion cut down on our noise level through the regular season by creating seating for fans un-initiated into the noise-making habits of more seasoned Griz fans. This new "silent minority", focused as they were on working on their tans and trying to decide the best time to get a Viking, might also have the detrimental effect of absorbing the noise made by the seasoned vociferous fans, turning the neophytes into the human equivalent of styrofoam, [i.e., 'Cat fans], especially in the later games when they wore more sound-absorbing clothing. Could it be that the reduced Thanksgiving playoff crowd had a dynamic effect of increasing crowd-induced penalties first by drawing a self-selecting crowd of motivated noisemakers, and second by reducing the baffling effect of the new silent minority?

I sit behind the Griz bench and have for a few years now. The regular season crowd around us is frankly...weak. Not all but some. Subdued may be a better word. These people give us some weird looks all season...for standing....for making noise...ect. I have even seen some of them ducking and plugging their ears. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Most of the silent fans didn't show up on Saturday. They were replaced by a bunch of wild ass screaming freaks that absolutely were GREAT!! I like the view and all but I really miss the crazies from our old seats.

GFGriz said:
This new "silent minority", focused as they were on working on their tans and trying to decide the best time to get a Viking, might also have the detrimental effect of absorbing the noise made by the seasoned vociferous fans, turning the neophytes into the human equivalent of styrofoam, [i.e., 'Cat fans], especially in the later games when they wore more sound-absorbing clothing. Could it be that the reduced Thanksgiving playoff crowd had a dynamic effect of increasing crowd-induced penalties first by drawing a self-selecting crowd of motivated noisemakers, and second by reducing the baffling effect of the new silent minority?

Dude, you're a sarcastic c0Ck, but your posts kick ass!

I know I echo the words of both Mother Theresa and the sage GrizzlyEdd in saying, "Sumbitch can WRITE!"

Back