• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Directional kicking game

etufarris

I haven't seen enough of this coaching staff to make up my mind yet whether they will be able to bring long term success to the program, but one thing that I do disagee with is all the directional kickoffs. Snyder has enough leg to kick at least 5 yards into the end zone on most kickoffs. Why not let him do so and force the other team to start at the 20? It seems like we've seen a lot more of the directional kicks returned outside the 20 than stopped inside of it, though a few have indeed worked well. (I'd be interested to see any actual stats that someone has on this, as I am basing this merely on my observations.)

NAU is last in the conference in kickoff returns (at least prior to last week, when I don't think they improved any since they returned 2 kicks for 7 yards.) but despite their futility I will be pretty disappointed in the Griz staff if they continue to employ the directional scheme in Flagstaff. At 7000 feet and indoors Snyder should be able to boom it through the uprights most of the time. Please coach Hauck, let Snyder loose and force NAU to go 80 yards to try to counter all the Griz TDs! Free Chris Snyder!

I think that as in all phases of the game, it takes practice and game experience to get good at something. I think that to BH the directional kicking part of special teams is a tool that at some time will be needed. So..... a kick off or two he uses it to keep Snyder's ability to drop on inside the 15-20 up to par. Course, if there isn't good cover from the rest of the kicking team then it would be best to split the uprights. Who knows, maybe BH has been having Snyder practice this just for the NAU game.... :wink:

Oh come on, there isn't a coach in the nation who wouldn't take a kick into the end-zone, resulting in the opponent starting at the twenty. Hauck has used the "corner" kickoff about 6 times this season, and it's worked ONCE. We"pinned" the opponent at the 18 yard line that time. The other 5 went out-of-bounds, giving the opponent the ball at the 35. So, do the numbers. We're about a minus 75 yards of field position on the season. Give up this silly over-coaching, Bobby! You've got a weapon on kick-offs this year.....use it!

azgriz said:
Oh come on, there isn't a coach in the nation who wouldn't take a kick into the end-zone, resulting in the opponent starting at the twenty. Hauck has used the "corner" kickoff about 6 times this season, and it's worked ONCE. We"pinned" the opponent at the 18 yard line that time. The other 5 went out-of-bounds, giving the opponent the ball at the 35. So, do the numbers. We're about a minus 75 yards of field position on the season. Give up this silly over-coaching, Bobby! You've got a weapon on kick-offs this year.....use it!

I am assuming here that you see no value in a "corner" kick or a "directional kick" when it may be called for. I can understand that but I also wouldn't want to completely ignore a portion of special teams that may be useful at some time. If opposing teams knew that Snyder was going to boom it into the endzone each time they would not need a return team. But, if they were lulled into believing that the endzone kick was coming and Snyder kicked it to the 10yrd line with good coverage they could be starting inside the five instead of the 20. I don't believe it is a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket and just go for the endzone each and every time. Course, that is just my opinion and as with any opinion on this board, it has nothing to do with reality.... :wink:

Latest posts

Back