• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Did Anyone See That................

ALPHAGRIZ1

Touchdown that won the game in overtime?

Touchdowns win games not loser FGs. Great calls all day on 4th down, going for it and trying to win the game. One player even said that on the field after the game.

He is right.

I love the aggressive attitude, but it was pretty obvious that we could not line up and blow them off the ball at will yesterday. The play calling needed to reflect that. The outside run where we got stuffed for a two yard loss was simply atrocious. You could not have watched the game up to that point and have had any expectation of success with that. Given how horrible the play call was, a FG would have been the right move. A better play would be the ideal option though.

LWYRUP said:
I love the aggressive attitude, but it was pretty obvious that we could not line up and blow them off the ball at will yesterday. The play calling needed to reflect that. The outside run where we got stuffed for a two yard loss was simply atrocious. You could not have watched the game up to that point and have had any expectation of success with that. Given how horrible the play call was, a FG would have been the right move. A better play would be the ideal option though.

Execute or lose...........it's that simple

In a defensive game you take the points. I am starting to think that Worst and Lider are just that bad. Coaches don't have a lot of confidence in them to stick it through the uprights yet. But Alpha is right, if you go for it stick the bastard in or lose.

Alfalfa stirring pot again. Any absolute position on "going for it" on fourth down is crazy. I'm in general agreement that most coaches are too conservative, but it is always and forever situational.
At Flagstaff we tried three times from the five yard line and were not going to make it on the fourth. Live to fight another day---- rally at half time and come out and take the rock down the field.

The way I see it (witch don't matter) is that there is really no point in running the ball as hard as the Griz tried to against a team that practices the run and depends on the run like CP does. They obviously don't practice passing as much as they do running and in my mind that creates a weakness. But it took all day for the Griz to expose that weakness. But they did and got the W. Why they killed both the top running backs trying to make a point was stupid. The win yesterday was great but they tore up two of the top guys tryin to beat them at the running game when all they needed to do was pass short on the edges. If the Griz woulda been playin a high caliber team in this situation they woulda got tear the funk up. Really bad. This woulda been a blow out with short passing out on the edges. Here's where I think it gets technical, not in the middle or inside the hash marks. They woulda been picking that off all day. Maybe even a few random bubbles woulda worked more often than not. The definition of insanity was displayed for 50 mins yesterday. I'm not cutting on our team after a win but there was no point in tryin to win in the trenches like that. That was foolish. There is 5 games left. Not sure of Vans status but he was on crutches yesterday.

I don't mind going for it on 4th down. Throwing it 8 times when you have an NFL size offensive line and a huge fullback - is horrible. If you can't pound it at Poly for 2 yards on 1st and goal then you have no confidence in your O-Line. :twocents:

putter said:
I don't mind going for it on 4th down. Throwing it 8 times when you have an NFL size offensive line and a huge fullback - is horrible. If you can't pound it at Poly for 2 yards on 1st and goal then you have no confidence in your O-Line. :twocents:
:clap: Very true! They were getting their asses handed to them but like I was saying above, short passes kill teams that are very good at defending the run and depend on the run. They hardly practice passing because they wanna be physical in the trenches so ditch the running game and tear em with a short passing game. But not in the middle cuz that's were them big physical LBs are located. Hense that batted passes and caved in O-line. Just a thought...

I gotta go with Alpha on this one. Sure if we made all three FGs on the three failed 4th down attempts we would have been in good shape at the end of the game. But, one of those would have been about 40 yards. Hardly a given with our frosh kickers. The other two were on the 2 or 3 yard line. You gotta have confidence at home and go for the kill, IMO.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Touchdowns win games not loser FGs. Great calls all day on 4th down, going for it and trying to win the game. One player even said that on the field after the game.

He is right.

If we had three on the board earlier the last touchdown of regular play would have won the game without having the excitement of overtime.....but I'm terrible at math.....and the OT was fun.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

He is right.

100% right. That go for the throat attitude is what you see different in the team this year. The idea of going for it on 4th down instills an attitude that helps your players. That attitude is what allows a team to drive 88 yards in 2 minutes and tie the game on a FOURTH DOWN play.

ilovethecats said:
anyone see how the jets and bengals won today...?

:coffee:

I missed it but I bet they kept going for it on 4th down until they got it right. There is no chance they kicked it for 3 loser points.

1Griz_Fan said:
ilovethecats said:
anyone see how the jets and bengals won today...?

:coffee:

I missed it but I bet they kept going for it on 4th down until they got it right. There is no chance they kicked it for 3 loser points.

.....Pats on the back. Claps. Does the Family Feud "Good answer, good answer!"

Back