• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Delirious McGoo -- Medical Redshirt?

Plus, to get a medical hardship he had to have two years of missed time due to circumstances out of his control.

Cat fans were saying he's already out of a sling, though.

uofmman1122 said:
Plus, to get a medical hardship he had to have two years of missed time due to circumstances out of his control.

Unless he still had a redshirt available, then it may have been possible (see damian lillard)

I believe you can still get a medical redshirt even if you already had a redshirt year. Two different things but it has to be looked at and approved by the NCAA. Not an easy task but I believe it can happen.

wbtfg said:
uofmman1122 said:

Unless he still had a redshirt available, then it may have been possible (see damian lillard)

He redshirted his first year, so he does not have another year available. Being out of the sling does not mean anything in regards to his prognosis. They really don't want to leave them in a sling for too long because being immobilized for extended periods actually causes its own problems on top of the dislocation. He may be back earlier than originally thought, but it would have nothing to do with whether he is in a sling or not. It would have more to do with inflammation decreasing quicker and stability returning sooner. This is a possibility because he is a well conditioned athlete and recovery speed is improved in those situations. As far as the topic of this thread are we really elementary school kids? Delirious McGoo? Seriously?

uofmman1122 said:

Good for him but out of a sling is a long way from throwing or taking hits

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4

Who gives a hang? UM has the best QB in the BSC. Right up there with Jensen in the entire FCS. What your seeing in JJ is a man on a mission, a team on a mission.

grizatwork said:
wbtfg said:
uofmman1122 said:

He redshirted his first year, so he does not have another year available.

Exactly....thanks for finishing my thought. :thumb:

Griz2k said:
I believe you can still get a medical redshirt even if you already had a redshirt year. Two different things but it has to be looked at and approved by the NCAA. Not an easy task but I believe it can happen.

You are correct. You can but you can't not apply until after the end of the year. He has to have played in one game, and not more than 30% of the games. If fits under both scenarios, but like you mentioned it has to be approved by the NCAA, and that isn't easy. Besides, he might not even want to play another year.

grizatwork said:
wbtfg said:
uofmman1122 said:

He redshirted his first year, so he does not have another year available. Being out of the sling does not mean anything in regards to his prognosis. They really don't want to leave them in a sling for too long because being immobilized for extended periods actually causes its own problems on top of the separation. He may be back earlier than originally thought, but it would have nothing to do with whether he is in a sling or not. It would have more to do with inflammation decreasing quicker and stability returning sooner. This is a possibility because he is a well conditioned athlete and recovery speed is improved in those situations. As far as the topic of this thread are we really elementary school kids? Delirious McGoo? Seriously?

FIFY
Quite a bit of difference between the two. :coffee:

uofmman1122 said:

I have heard rumor will be ready by Homecoming. Just a rumor though.

Rules for medical redshirt, not sure but I do not see anything that says a athlete who used his redshirt his freshman year can not get a medical redshirt later. I think the medical redshirt allows more that 4 years once the clock starts.

Guidelines for Medical Hardship Waiver Requests

For a student-athlete to receive a Medical Hardship Waiver per Bylaw 14.2.4, the following four conditions must be met:

The student-athlete may not have participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent of the team's completed contests/dates of competition.

The injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the season.

The injury or illness does not have to occur during practice/competition, but it must be incapacitating.

Appropriate medical documentation must exist and be provided.

All percentages are calculated according to contests or dates of competition, depending on how your sport's competitive opportunities are counted. Only contests or dates of competition occurring during the championship (traditional) season are included in the calculations. Conference championships/tournaments are counted as one contest or date of competition, regardless of the actual contest/dates used.

If the percentage calculation for the 20-percent rule results in a decimal -- any decimal -- the whole number preceding it is always rounded up. For example, if the softball team competes in 56 games, 20 percent of 56 is 11.2. Due to the "rounding-up," a softball team member who competed in 12 games does qualify for a medical hardship waiver.

To meet the first-half-of-the-season requirement, all competition must cease prior to the start of the contest or date of competition that begins the second half of the season. For example, a soccer player competing in the 10th game of a 19-game season does not qualify for a medical hardship waiver. Also, a student-athlete who is injured in the first half of the season, then attempts to play in the second half and aggravates the original injury, does not qualify for a medical hardship waiver.

GrizPony said:
I seem to remember several college players over the years that got 6 years.

Pretty sure in basketball Stephen Sir from NAU got about 12 years (at least it seemed like that). Ok after checking it was only 6, it just seemed like much longer.

Even if he does come back, a shoulder separation is extremely difficult for a QB to come back from especially when it's his throwing arm. I hope he comes back strong and healthy, come Griz/ scat, but I highly doubt he will.

You can get a medical red-shirt under certain circumstances, even if you have already red-shirted. I am not sure exactly what the criteria is, but that is how players get 6 years.

CoppernGold said:
Who gives a hang? UM has the best QB in the BSC. Right up there with Jensen in the entire FCS. What your seeing in JJ is a man on a mission, a team on a mission.

Thank God, at least we have a Griz fan who doesn't give a rat's ass about the Cats injury woes. Take a page, Pussycat and Bear Assed.

Back