• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Decibel level

msoblazer

With Arrowhead breaking the record at 137.5 it got me thinking. Has there ever been a reading at WaGriz?

I believe it was between 106-112 during a playoff game somewhere between 2000-2004. The reporter had a handheld device on the field that was measuring it. However, it was not organized in the least, besides it being 3rd down!

Let's see if we can come close the next 2 weekends! With these two teams coming in, Wa-Griz should be rockin'....We need playoff atmospheres for both games! BE IN YOUR SEATS EARLY AND BE LOUD! :clap: :clap: :clap:

jbear said:
Let's see if we can come close the next 2 weekends! With these two teams coming in, Wa-Griz should be rockin'....We need playoff atmospheres for both games! BE IN YOUR SEATS EARLY AND BE LOUD! :clap: :clap: :clap:
This... :thumb:

If WGS was 116, and Arrowhead was 137, Arrowhead sounds over 4 times louder than WGS.

CDAGRIZ said:
If WGS was 116, and Arrowhead was 137, Arrowhead sounds over 4 times louder than WGS.
No way I remotely believe that it is even possible for Arrowhead to be 4x louder...people's eardrums would be exploding if that were the case.

CDAGRIZ said:

No, each increase in 10 on the db scale is equivalent to an increase of 1 power of 10, on a power scale.

Since Arrowhead is 137 db and Wa-Griz is 109 db (unorganized, BTW), Arrowhead produces 10^[(137-109)/10] or 631 times more power. However, power is not linearly related to "loudness" in whatever units one measures, so you can't say Arrowhead is x times as loud.

A better way to compare is just to find common sounds that measure at certain db levels.

Jet engine at 100 feet: 140 db
Power saw at 3 feet: 110 db

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

grizfan95 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

No, each increase in 10 on the db scale is equivalent to an increase of 1 power of 10, on a power scale.

Since Arrowhead is 137 db and Wa-Griz is 109 db (unorganized, BTW), Arrowhead produces 10^[(137-109)/10] or 631 times more power. However, power is not linearly related to "loudness" in whatever units one measures, so you can't say Arrowhead is x times as loud.

A better way to compare is just to find common sounds that measure at certain db levels.

Jet engine at 100 feet: 140 db
Power saw at 3 feet: 110 db

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

I was just going off of the paper from the University of Wisconsin. They might not know what the fuck they are talking about due to all fat rolls in their eardrums, but they say you can roughly determine perception of loudness.
20dB = 4x times increase in perception of loudness. I think it seems impossible too.

http://trace.wisc.edu/docs/2004-About-dB/

Perception of Loudness (20dB = 4x)

Interestingly, our perception of loudness is not the same as sound pressure level. Although the actual formulae
is somewhat complex, as a rough rule of thumb, an increase of 10db SPL is perceived to be approximately twice as loud.

Thus a 20 Db gain would seem to be about 4 times as loud.
And a 40 Db gain would seem to be about 16 times as loud.

Interesting, but because the db scale is logarithmic I don't think it's necessarily valid to say a change in 10db is equivalent to 2 times as loud because it would matter where on the scale you are. Thanks for sharing nonetheless! I still have a hard time believing Arrowhead is 4x as loud as WaGriz.

The 2009 App St semifinal game would have been a great time to measure the decibel level. If they ever conduct an official sound test at Wash-Griz they should do so at a Brawl of the Wild.

gotgame75 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
No way I remotely believe that it is even possible for Arrowhead to be 4x louder...people's eardrums would be exploding if that were the case.

Talk to the dairy queens about it. I just found the article and thought it might be reputable as written by a Ph.D. from a well-repected research university. Fuck him, right?

grizfan95 said:
Interesting, but because the db scale is logarithmic I don't think it's necessarily valid to say a change in 10db is equivalent to 2 times as loud because it would matter where on the scale you are. Thanks for sharing nonetheless! I still have a hard time believing Arrowhead is 4x as loud as WaGriz.

Me too! Very hard to believe. But even if the dB scale isn't linear, does that mean our perception and ability to process the pressure cannot be linear.

Don't know much about the science but I've been to Arrowhead when I was on temporary duty at Fort Leavonworth in 1989 and it was the loudest stadium I've ever been in (including some larger crowds at overseas World Cup matches, games at Death Valley, Kyle Field and other SEC venues). My ears rang for a couple of days and it was a physical force that hurt. I would say that it easily seemed four times louder than WAGS to the senses. Of course, now my hearing is somewhat diminished by too many of these experiences and range firings so who can say for sure? :shock:

CDAGRIZ said:
grizfan95 said:

Me too! Very hard to believe. But even if the dB scale isn't linear, does that mean our perception and ability to process the pressure cannot be linear.

I believe our ears measure sound as a pressure wave which is related to the intensity or power of the sound. The problem with db is that a difference of 20 on the db scale doesn't correspond to an intensity twice as large as a difference of 10.

Since we measure in decibels, we would need to develop some unit such that differences, in number and physically, can be interpreted linearly. Perhaps this exists, but I don't know about it.

I thought the Seachicken stadium was supposed to be the new loudest stadium? But I may have heard wrong? What did you say?

MTOutsider said:
I thought the Seachicken stadium was supposed to be the new loudest stadium? But I may have heard wrong? What did you say?
I was at the Seachicken stadium yesterday. I can attest, to a reasonable degree of scientific probability, that it was the loudest stadium I have ever been too. That includes Mitchell stadium in Anaconda, btw.

Latest posts

Back