• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Congrats to Wyoming Cowboys...

GoodGodGriz

DONOR
Congrats to Joe and Co. for knocking off CSU, and shutting that Van Pelt character up :mad:

Just thought I'd say that. No one else had yet. What are the chances of Wyoming having a winning season?

Not bad, really.

In fact, I believe they still have a shot of winning at least a share of the conference title. Remote, but mathematically possible.
Also, I think they are 2 wins shy of bowl eligibility.

Funny....after last game, some folks seem to think Billy's an offensive genius. :lol:

Check the other thread. Those quotes came from some joke article in the CSU student paper or something. It turns out Van Pelt isn't the ass we all wanted him to be, just another good football player.

Jimus said:
Check the other thread. Those quotes came from some joke article in the CSU student paper or something. It turns out Van Pelt isn't the ass we all wanted him to be, just another good football player.

I know that, just threw that in for good measure...

It is hard to believe, but the Pokes are going to be looking at a bowl if they can notch a couple more wins. Quite a change from last years horrible season. Glenn is doing a great job. The biggest question is going to be how long he will stay if he is a winner. Retention is always a problem for Wyoming (as it is at NDSU or Montana too).

A win for Wyoming over a program like CSU is huge for future recruitment. I have no ill will whatsoever for Glenn for leaving and I hope they do well, as I'm sure they will. We would have all done the same, if not...........you should be classified as an idiot.

I am really happy for Glenn. Him being successful can be nothing but good for the Griz as far as reputation goes. Basically his entire staff came with im so people will know that the Montana Football team is legit. I also think it is neat that he has taken the Montana offense with him, even though it is more consevative than we would all like and probably doesn't have a 5-wide rotation, it is alot different than the one he ran at Northern Colorado. And as much as some people on this board didn't like Cockhill, he is a Montana boy and will probably follow Glenn to his next bigger job too. Admit it, we would all love to see a version of our offense, even if it isn't in our best and favorite mode, at a major level program. I think that would be pretty cool.

I heard...no isht....this is true to rural legend....and comes on the good authority of a Wyoming alum friend.....the winner of the CSU-Wyoming game wins the bronzed boot of a Vietnam vet who did undergrad work at Wyoming and graduate work at CSU. According to legend the boot was separated by a land mine and his foot is still in there. :eek: That's what Casey told me anyways.

The biggest question is going to be how long he will stay if he is a winner. Retention is always a problem for Wyoming (as it is at NDSU or Montana too).

I can't believe that you're thinking he's already got his next job in line... What is that, 4 wins this year? The Wyoming program is far from being turned around.

Sh!t, if all you need is 6 wins to get a bowl game in 1-A, lets go! Thats a LOT more exciting than a National Championship!! er... not.

Geez Grzz...I hope you never make it to the Virginia City Museum and have to look at Club Foot George Lane's unpreserved club foot replete with toenails. Anyways here's a link to the University of Wyomings non-rural-legend verstion of the story: http://wyomingathletics.ocsn.com//trads/bronzeboot.html

I suppose you can imagine how the rest of the story came about.

Anyways, Wyoming has almost been afraid of success in the past because they have lost absolutely all of their successful coaches in the past. And usually have not done well with their replacements. And so they are wondering if Joe will be the kind of coach that has a few promising years and leaves to have a great career somewhere else, or is the kind that will have to be fired in a few years.

GGG....given the wins against BYU and CSU I would say the Cowboy program is much further along the "recovery road" than most expected. The bottom line on coaching retention is that any small program....Like Montana or Wyoming or NDSU is going to face retention problems when coaches win. That is a pretty obvious fact of life as a small school.

There are going to be quite a few openings this year in the Pac 10, etc, for coaches. I wonder if someone will look at Joe and staff.

Are they not obligated to their 4-5 year contracts?

Think its a bit early to be looking for new homes for Joe and Co.

It seems like many coaches have been willing to break those 4-5 year contracts. What ever school recruits them away pays for the penalty. Lately Wyoming has been trying to put a pretty big financial cost on breaking the contracts. That helped to retain the BB coach this past season when Iowa State tried recruiting him (the cost of escaping the contract was just too much for Iowa State).

While I will all our coaches the best, I do get frustrated that there is no real loyalty to the school that currently employs them. It is all about getting somewhere bigger. Maybe I am a bit naive in hoping that we can find coaches that coach for more than the dollar and using us a stepping stones....

Cat win doesn't count for a Bowl game. So no bowl game for Wyoming this year. Wins against Utah state, MSU and BYU not that impressive, Joe has a long ways to go before the PAC-10 starts calling.

Bowls have notoriously avoided picking Wyoming when they've been eligible throught the years. The only way they get in a bowl is if they finish 7-5 and they are one of only three MWC teams that are eligible to fill one of their contracted bowl slots. I bet they'll lose to Utah, so it's not going to happen this season.

WYOBISONMAN said:
The bottom line on coaching retention is that any small program....Like Montana or Wyoming or NDSU is going to face retention problems when coaches win. That is a pretty obvious fact of life as a small school.
I have a good feeling that so long as Bobby continues to be successful that he won't be in any hurry to leave UM. Montana is home for him. I'm thinkin' that his previous stints (UM, NAU, UCLA, CU, UW) he's used to position himself for his dream assignment. Now he's got it! :D

Back