• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Congrats to AP's #1 Gonzaga Bulldogs!

Silvertip

Well-known member
The little Catholic school that could joins former fellow Big Sky member Boise State in proving that there is a far more rewarding life beyond the kiddie's wading pool in the deep end. Any self-respecting
GrizNationer should be envious.
 
Of course we're envious.

But comparing our BB program to theirs is a little like comparing my savings account to that of Paul Allen because we once shopped at the same Whole Foods.

The resource diffential is staggering.



Incidentally, the Zags are the first team from the state of Washington be ranked number one in both polls. Found that interesting.
 
EverettGriz said:
Of course we're envious.

But comparing our BB program to theirs is a little like comparing my savings account to that of Paul Allen because we once shopped at the same Whole Foods.

The resource diffential is staggering.



Incidentally, the Zags are the first team from the state of Washington be ranked number one in both polls. Found that interesting.

Humbles the Dawgs and Cougs just a little, eh...not to mention Seattle U in its hey day
 
EverettGriz said:
Of course we're envious.

But comparing our BB program to theirs is a little like comparing my savings account to that of Paul Allen because we once shopped at the same Whole Foods.

The resource diffential is staggering.



Incidentally, the Zags are the first team from the state of Washington be ranked number one in both polls. Found that interesting.

Am certainly not comparing today's Griz with today's Zags, but instead the current GU team with what they were when competing in the BSC before departing in 1979. Big diff I think you'll agree. Schools need to do some serious heavy lifting to fuel a vision that doesn't exist on this side of the Bitterroots.
Nobody says it would be easy...
 
Silvertip said:
Am certainly not comparing today's Griz with today's Zags, but instead the current GU team with what they were when competing in the BSC before departing in 1979. Big diff I think you'll agree. Schools need to do some serious heavy lifting to fuel a vision that doesn't exist on this side of the Bitterroots.
Nobody says it would be easy...

Gonzaga also dropped football in 1942; is that what you're asking?
 
WyomingGrizFan said:
Silvertip said:
Am certainly not comparing today's Griz with today's Zags, but instead the current GU team with what they were when competing in the BSC before departing in 1979. Big diff I think you'll agree. Schools need to do some serious heavy lifting to fuel a vision that doesn't exist on this side of the Bitterroots.
Nobody says it would be easy...

Gonzaga also dropped football in 1942; is that what you're asking?

You see a question mark - other than this one :?:
 
Kudos to Gonzaga and its #1 ranking. I have watched them a number of times this year and IMO they are playing the best basketball of anyone in the country. Had it not been for a miraculous shot with less than a second to go at Butler the Zags would have only one loss. I don't care who you are, this year that's impressive.

I have posted previously and marvelled about all the foreign players Gonzaga has. If there is that amount of talent in countries other than the US, why aren't more schools getting in on those recruits.

Kelly Olynick gets my vote as player of the year, ( not that anyone gives a rat's a$$).
 
. Schools need to do some serious heavy lifting to fuel a vision that doesn't exist on this side of the Bitterroots

Oh, no one would -- or COULD -- argue that point.


But it's still not a reasonable discussion. Gonzaga is a private university with greater resources, and far more flexibility to allot those resources to their basketball program than is Montana.

Believe me, NO ONE would like it more to see Montanans wake up to the fact that you have to pay your successful head basketball coach more than 100,000 per year. But I also understand that when the economic question is, "More money to Wayne, or a few bucks to keep the steam plant on campus running", that it's not a real difficult decision for the taxpayers of Montana. In addition, as WGF points out, the Zags don't fund football. Try asking Montanans to drop that....
 
Valid point, but I doubt that Gonzaga or many othe successful programs rely totally on traditional funding sources. Certainly for GU and other private schools nothing is coming from the state.
 
Good for them....

Big dance is wide open, would be nice to have nw team win it all but a dozen or more getting on a roll all have a chance this year

Big ten has 2or3 contenders as does big east
 
Back
Top