• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Conference Outlook?

Grzftbll

This past offseason I haven't been able to browse eGriz as much as i normally do and quite honestly I feel out of the loop. I know there are a few posters who have actual insight and way more knowledge than I do about the way the season would/could/should possibly shape up. So..

What are the chances the Griz can take back the crown of the conference?

Who are the top teams in the big sky this year?

What players do you expect to be impact players?

Basically I just want to talk Grizzly football and get past all this offseason nonsense that unfortunately been happening, even though the posts i've browsed through have been quite entertaining.

Anyways, Go Griz. Look forward to catching up on my hometown team again now that I have the time.

The top teams in the conference should be UM, EWU, MSU, and Cal Poly in no particular order.

The Griz have the talent to not only win the conference, but they could contend for a national championship. Somebody needs to emerge as a playmaker in the secondary for that to happen and they will need much better play overall from that position. The defensive line and linebackers are one of the best units in the country. I look for Holmes as a true sophomore to have a huge breakout season at DE. Also, look for a couple of receivers to step up and become big-time players out of Henderson, Haynes, Walcott or Saylor. At RB, Joey Counts will make a big impact.

Key questions remain about whether the secondary will improve, who will step up at TE (I love that Curtis White has transferred in to play and if he can be healthy watch out), and what the new offense will be, and if coaching will improve overall.

Lots of reason to be excited for this season!!

Chances of the Griz winning/sharing the conference

I like them a lot better now with JJ back on the team. The two biggest wildcards are coaching and the defensive secondary and unfortunately the return of JJ does little to those two spots (but it does remove the concerns at QB). If the defense can shore up in the passing game then the defense will be stellar and will certainly put this team in a position to compete for the title. Play calling concerns me, we've got two very inexperienced guys at OC, Delaney needing to make improvements as HC, and Gregorak on his 2nd year as DC and needing improvement as well.

Top teams in the conference

Going into the season I'd guess top 5:

1. MSU
2. EWU
3. Sac (yep)
4. CPSLO
5. UM or NAU

MSU and EWU return good talent on both sides of the ball, seems pretty clear cut they'll start out as the top teams. I'm not seeing anything right now that would suggest they won't be main contenders through the season.

Sac just missed the playoffs and played a lot of close games. They only lose a few guys to graduation and return most of their skill players. I really like their QB and I think most all of their defensive starters come back. Sperbeck seems to be improving the program there, I think they'll be the surprise top/near-top team that NAU was last year. CPSLO and their system will keep them in games, they lost their stud QB though, but I think their D will be solid again.

UM with JJ and a stout D should be part of the discussion. NAU returns one of the best players in the conference in Baumann and I think their offense was pretty young last year - which suggests they'll be better/more experienced this year.

Impact Players

For the Griz I think there's going to be a lot of playmakers this year but if I could boil it down to a few I'd say Johnson, Canada, Henderson, Wagenmann, Coyle, and Tripp for now. Not saying others won't be playmakers but these 6 guys probably HAVE to be playmakers for the Griz to get back to the top of the conference.

Sorry but looks like a top 5 done by a cat fan....BW, are expectations that low around here? May be good for BSC to overlook the Griz though.

BWahlberg said:
Chances of the Griz winning/sharing the conference

I like them a lot better now with JJ back on the team. The two biggest wildcards are coaching and the defensive secondary and unfortunately the return of JJ does little to those two spots (but it does remove the concerns at QB). If the defense can shore up in the passing game then the defense will be stellar and will certainly put this team in a position to compete for the title. Play calling concerns me, we've got two very inexperienced guys at OC, Delaney needing to make improvements as HC, and Gregorak on his 2nd year as DC and needing improvement as well.

Top teams in the conference

Going into the season I'd guess top 5:

1. MSU
2. EWU
3. Sac (yep)
4. CPSLO
5. UM or NAU

MSU and EWU return good talent on both sides of the ball, seems pretty clear cut they'll start out as the top teams. I'm not seeing anything right now that would suggest they won't be main contenders through the season.

Sac just missed the playoffs and played a lot of close games. They only lose a few guys to graduation and return most of their skill players. I really like their QB and I think most all of their defensive starters come back. Sperbeck seems to be improving the program there, I think they'll be the surprise top/near-top team that NAU was last year. CPSLO and their system will keep them in games, they lost their stud QB though, but I think their D will be solid again.

UM with JJ and a stout D should be part of the discussion. NAU returns one of the best players in the conference in Baumann and I think their offense was pretty young last year - which suggests they'll be better/more experienced this year.

Impact Players

For the Griz I think there's going to be a lot of playmakers this year but if I could boil it down to a few I'd say Johnson, Canada, Henderson, Wagenmann, Coyle, and Tripp for now. Not saying others won't be playmakers but these 6 guys probably HAVE to be playmakers for the Griz to get back to the top of the conference.

i believe this to be a very honest and realistic look at th conference, based on previous season and returners...i would also add, based on all our season of close games that we lost, u of montana has a huge up side....not many teams want to play this 5 and 6 team with jj and company....ask any of the coaches in the league....

krammer said:
i believe this to be a very honest and realistic look at th conference, based on previous season and returners...i would also add, based on all our season of close games that we lost, u of montana has a huge up side....not many teams want to play this 5 and 6 team with jj and company....ask any of the coaches in the league....

Back to the games you ALMOST won huh. You and PR are a pair :lol: :lol:

Preseason Offensive Player of the Year: McGhee and it's not close right now.
Preseason Defensive Player of the Year: Coyle, Tripp or Wags, It will be interesting to see who UM's nominee is for that.

Team that could be a big surprise this year in conference play: Weber (Plfu will have that offense rolling)

Sorry BW but Sac ALWAYS finds a way to fold. They don't deserve any more preaseason hype. They actually need to earn their hype for a change.

What about possible NCAA sanctions for post season? Do any of you in the know have a feel for this?

I agree with Everett as I don't see it happening. BUT, no matter what ANYONE posts on here or on Bobcat Nation or what anyone says when you're at Home Depot or Reds, there are NO INSIDE SOURCES. The NCAA does not tell the the institution about "POSSIBLE" sanctions. They don't tip their hat and they don't forewarn of what's coming when a decision is reached. The ONLY TRUTH right now regarding the NCAA investigation at UM is NO ONE KNOWS what sanctions will be handed down. Not even Alpha does :D

EWU could come into conference play at 1 - 3. They play at Oregon State, at Toledo and at Sam Houston in the first 4 weeks. That's a pretty rough stretch. If EWU opens conference play at 1 - 3 overall, they will be hungry for wins. And EWU returns a strong team. Although a few key defensive players are gone for MSU, the Bobcats bring back loads of talent too. I think those two (EWU and MSU) will be the preseason favorites, but I think the Griz have the horses to make a nice run too.

With as many teams as there are in the conference now, and the fact that not everyone plays every other team, I think it will be extremely unlikely that an "outright" champ is ever crowned again. I hate the new conference format.

1. MSU
2. Suck
3. EWU
4. UM
5. NAU/Cal Poly

MSU finally has a decently experienced O-line with a load of guys coming back. I'm really looking forward to watching Shawn Johnson.
Sac State did let down again, but not by much. They return a lot from a team that only just lost at EWU and very nearly knocked off MSU. Solid team.
EWU loses that awesome WR (thank God) but they still bring back their really good freshman QB. Only barely lost to Sam Houston at home.
UM with JJ is a more complete team with big lines on both sides of the ball. Anything's possible provided they can shore up the crap secondary and coaching of last year. They did it from 2011 to 2010, so I don't see why not.
Nau/Cal Poly both bring overall solid teams, could be the dream killers of a few of the top 4.

Gotta mention SUU, they WERE the dream killers for a bunch of people last year. They were pretty stout and I don't know that they lose too much.

bozely said:
1. MSU
2. Suck
3. EWU
4. UM
5. NAU/Cal Poly

MSU finally has a decently experienced O-line with a load of guys coming back. I'm really looking forward to watching Shawn Johnson.
Sac State did let down again, but not by much. They return a lot from a team that only just lost at EWU and very nearly knocked off MSU. Solid team.
EWU loses that awesome WR (thank God) but they still bring back their really good freshman QB. Only barely lost to Sam Houston at home.
UM with JJ is a more complete team with big lines on both sides of the ball. Anything's possible provided they can shore up the crap secondary and coaching of last year. They did it from 2011 to 2010, so I don't see why not.
Nau/Cal Poly both bring overall solid teams, could be the dream killers of a few of the top 4.

Gotta mention SUU, they WERE the dream killers for a bunch of people last year. They were pretty stout and I don't know that they lose too much.

Do the 'scats still start a 190 lb center? :twisted:

AZGrizFan said:
bozely said:
1. MSU
2. Suck
3. EWU
4. UM
5. NAU/Cal Poly

:lol: Fortunately that is not the case.

RABIDAWG said:
EverettGriz said:
RABIDAWG said:
What about possible NCAA sanctions for post season? Do any of you in the know have a feel for this?

Not happening.

Good... But when will be done screwing with us?

Unless if there's some bombshell that is being kept WAY under wraps I would highly doubt a post-season ban is on the horizon. Probation, maybe the loss of a few schollies and some practice days... possibly/probably.

AZGrizFan said:
bozely said:
1. MSU
2. Suck
3. EWU
4. UM
5. NAU/Cal Poly

that all conference center graduated :thumb:

Back