• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Concussions and football

Hammer

DONOR
The days of "man up sissy boy" are gone. There is more to life than the game of football. Congrats to Coach Grey for doing the right thing, and still winning a state championship in the process.

http://buttesports.com/grey-takes-winning-approach-to-concussions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hammer said:
The days of "man up sissy boy" are gone. There is more to life than the game of football. Congrats to Coach Grey for doing the right thing, and still winning a state championship in the process.

http://buttesports.com/grey-takes-winning-approach-to-concussions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amen!

Ursa Major said:
Hammer said:

Amen!

I actually admire the player more for his honesty about the injury and symptoms. That took courage right before a title game. The new concussion management procedures are very clear. This coach's hands were tied once he was informed
on the symptoms.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
It should be up to the player

PERIOD

Athletes are their own worse enemy. If that were the case, it has no place to be at the high school level.
College and Pros, I will side with you there. At least the player making the decision is legally an adult then. Just because a player decides he can play, does not necessarily mean the coach will play them.

I wonder how long it will be before a pro dies on the field due to concussion related trauma and what it will do to the NFL? I've read a few articles on the topic and it certainly makes me think more than twice about my own kids playing football. I love to watch the game but the side effects are pretty scary.

PeauxRouge said:
I wonder how long it will be before a pro dies on the field due to concussion related trauma and what it will do to the NFL? I've read a few articles on the topic and it certainly makes me think more than twice about my own kids playing football. I love to watch the game but the side effects are pretty scary.

The players who pursue it know the risks. Every job/career has risks. I know I am going extreme here, but construction workers break down physically. Doctors, Lawyers, Police have long hours and a lot of stress. People who speak a lot have throat and voice issues with time. Teachers, deal with the stress of dealing with parents, disrespectful kids, and many sad stories.

These decisions are made by adults in every profession. There is not a profession risk free of anything. As for your kids, I feel you on that decision. I wish there was an easy answer to put every parent's mind at ease when it comes to their kids playing a physical sport. I wish you luck. I hope they remain healthy, and injury free. :thumb:

grizfan95 said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

PERIOD

Because he's clearly in the right state of mind...

Its not up to you, the government or anyone else to determine how, when or where the player chooses to play.

This safety nazi bullshit needs to go the fu*k away 10 years ago, its embarrassing to be an American anymore.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
grizfan95 said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

PERIOD

Because he's clearly in the right state of mind...

Its not up to you, the government or anyone else to determine how, when or where the player chooses to play.

This safety nazi bullshit needs to go the fu*k away 10 years ago, its embarrassing to be an American anymore.

Probably not so much if you are cognitively unaware of being an American...

The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life. — Teddy Roosevelt

Glad it wasn't up to me when I played...

There is a very very small percentage of players that would step out because they thought they were having concussion symptoms. Thankfully for me, my coach yanked me, made me get an evaluation and I sat out the rest of the game, even with me literally screaming and crying to go back in. Looking back on it, I am very grateful I was sat out. Serious concussions can create long term damage that can impact your ability to function normally for the rest of your life. Regardless of levels, they should have rules that prohibit players from playing the game if they have a concussion.

don't necessarily agree with this author's opinions, but it is a bit sobering about my favorite sport:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-met-kass-0424-20130424,0,5660156.column" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HighLineGRIZ said:
Glad it wasn't up to me when I played...

There is a very very small percentage of players that would step out because they thought they were having concussion symptoms. Thankfully for me, my coach yanked me, made me get an evaluation and I sat out the rest of the game, even with me literally screaming and crying to go back in. .....

Yep, the decision to play affects a lot more than just yourself ... your family and team of course ... not to mention the costs involved (including dollars) from all of us for those whos symptoms manifest wholly as they age.

yellowstone60 said:
The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life. — Teddy Roosevelt

Looking at this country right now confirms what I have believed for some time......the last of the real men died when TR passed.

Now you guys are just a big melting pot of liberal PC pussies.

I would rather starve.

:coffee:

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
yellowstone60 said:

Looking at this country right now confirms what I have believed for some time......the last of the real men died when TR passed.

Now you guys are just a big melting pot of liberal PC pussies.

I would rather starve.

:coffee:

We all know that isn't true.

Back