• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Compliance Tip of the Week

chris

Administrator
Staff member
eGriz Club
Representative of Athletics Interests/Booster Reminder

You MAY NOT become involved in arranging for a prospect, a current student-athlete or their family to receive gifts, money or financial benefits of any kind. Extra Benefits cannot be offered to a prospective student-athlete, current student-athlete or their family or friends by anyone (regardless of a booster affiliation). The term "extra benefit" refers to any special arrangement provided to a prospective student-athlete, current student-athlete or his or her relatives or friends.

Examples of extra benefits are (but are not limited to):

- Donations to assist with any type of fees (i.e. legal fees). Donations cannot be channeled to the prospective student-athlete, current student-athlete or their family or friends through other sources. Donations cannot be retained over a period of time for the prospective student-athlete, current student-athlete or their family or friends to be used at a later date.
- Money, loans or credits
- Complimentary or discounted services
- Selling, trading or upgrading any athletics gear or participation awards
- Acceptance of any item of tangible value in exchange for complimentary tickets

The list above is not exhaustive. Please refrain from ever offering prospective and current student-athletes, their families, and their friends anything of value. There is no exception to this rule. It is important that all supporters follow NCAA rules as they interact with prospects, current student-athletes, their families and friends. Breaking NCAA rules can render prospects and student-athletes ineligible for competition. The NCAA holds the university accountable for the actions of its fans and friends.
*Please note an exciting new feature on our gogriz.com website titled Ask Grizzly Compliance! Follow this link to ask the compliance office any questions related to NCAA rules and regulations:

http://www.gogriz.com/ot/ask-grizzly-compliance.html

We are here to help our fans and boosters understand and navigate the complex NCAA rules and regulations. Thank you for your continued support in our efforts to always maintain the highest level of integrity in our programs!

Thanks for this. Good stuff to know. In most ways there is not a whole any individual can do (short of a large monetary donation to the school) to make a huge positive impact but any single individual can easily make a huge NEGATIVE impact by violating NCAA rules -- even unintentionally. It is always a good idea to steer clear of anything that might even have the appearance of impropriety and being educated is a great first step in prevention.

This would've been nice to know before I wrote JJ's dad a check for $50,000. Guess I'll put a STOP on it at my bank.

I kid I kid. I'm broke as a joke.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
Is this a heads up on what may come back from the NCAA investigation?

Doubtful, Just addressing what many people have said they wanted to do to help the Johnson family pay for this fiasco.

MrTitleist said:
cclarkblues said:
Are hookers considered an "extra benefit"?

For players, yes. For moderators, they should be encouraged.

Perhaps we could assemble 5 or 6 scantily clad ones at the top of Sears’ escalator at the Billings mall to help you beat your new phobia? I’ll bet it’s even tax deductible for medical purposes.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
Is this a heads up on what may come back from the NCAA investigation?

While timely I doubt it - they release compliance tips weekly, I've received compliance emails for years now. I think when they can though they insert a relevant article, which this one is.

Well just hold on to the $ for 2.5 years then! Then we can officially get rid of it!

Back