• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Commercials during the game

GrizMusician

I watched the recording of the game last night & I couldn't help but notice... there were TONS of MSU commercials & I did not see a single UM commercial. Not one. Also, compare that to the lack of effort put into the lackluster advertising campaign to recruit high school students.

MSU is kicking our administrations a$$ at advertising & recruiting prospective students. No wonder enrollment is declining at UM, but increasing at MSU.

Admission time. I'm still in HS. Seriously UM sucks at recruiting. I've told them several times that they're my #1 choice for a school. MSU has still sent more info. Seriously today in the mail I got a great little surprise from UM. They sent a square 10" envelope filled with...air. Absolutely nothing inside. It's ridiculous.

Watched the replay when I got home and the basic University of Montana commercial ran three times that I saw. But I agree, recruiting students seems to be way down on UM's list right now, at least from an advertising standpoint. My mother has been the Great Northern Fair office manager for nearly 20 years and this year, MSU called and asked for a spot to park the trailer and truck that's been touring around all summer. She set them up with a good locale, than promptly called UM and asked if they'd like to counter it, and she was told "We don't do anything like that".

i do love the griz said:
Admission time. I'm still in HS. Seriously UM sucks at recruiting. I've told them several times that they're my #1 choice for a school. MSU has still sent more info. Seriously today in the mail I got a great little surprise from UM. They sent a square 10" envelope filled with...air. Absolutely nothing inside. It's ridiculous.

Forward that onto anyone but Engstrom. I would tell them how it feels, and bring your parents in also. My God, as a GRIZ fan, hearing this is disappointing.

My daughter is a senior in HS. MSU has been far better than UM in recruiting her. UM frankly...sucks.

cclarkblues said:
My daughter is a senior in HS. MSU has been far better than UM in recruiting her. UM frankly...sucks.
And, you know, it was precisely like that 15 years ago when my daughter graduated from high school. It's sad to know that nothing has changed.

Seriously disappointing. When I was looking at colleges back in 05-06, I got recruited pretty hard by MSU and other universities, but hardly anything from UM. I thought it was odd, but it seems that things haven't changed.

I can't believe the lack of recruiting back when I was in HS, I didn''t receive anything from either school!!

Today I learned (TIL)....

UM has a new billboard up in Helena, that actually took the place of the MSU football billboard (I wonder if that was planned). Anyway, the Billboard said (paraphrasing) "U of M leading the nation in Udall Scholars."

I know what you're thinking....WTF is a Udall Scholar? I had to look it up and this is what I found.

Scholarship is awarded...
To students who have demonstrated commitment to careers related to the environment including policy, engineering, science, education, urban planning and renewal, business, health, justice, economics, and other related fields; or

To Native American and Alaska Native students who have demonstrated commitment to careers related to tribal public policy, including fields related to tribal sovereignty, tribal governance, tribal law, Native American education, Native American justice, natural resource management, cultural preservation and revitalization, Native American economic development, and other areas affecting Native American communities; or

To Native American and Alaska Native students who have demonstrated commitment to careers related to Native health care, including health care administration, social work, medicine, dentistry, counseling, and research into health conditions affecting Native American communities, and other related fields.

UM looks to be one of the nation's leaders in environmental issues and/or a commitment to tribal land and native american general welfare.

The more you know.....

Anyway, back to the recruiting thing, it will be interesting to see how UM did when the final enrollment numbers come out next week. Hopefully they rebounded a bit from last year.

mtgrizrule said:
i do love the griz said:

Forward that onto anyone but Engstrom. I would tell them how it feels, and bring your parents in also. My God, as a GRIZ fan, hearing this is disappointing.

This problem goes way farther back than Engstrom. I received no mail from UM when I was in high school (1993 - 1997)

I received no correspondence from the U of M in high school either. Of coarse that was before paper was invented...and writing...

You guys are making more of this than you should.

If you need UM to send you a glossy brochure with a bunch of students posing in pictures acting like they're having fun in class to convince you that UM is better than MSU, then you probably have the lil' bro need to be wanted and accepted. In which case, you're probably more MSU's speed anyway.

As I've mentioned before, when my daughter was a senior in high school in 1997-98, she was at the very top of her class and received recruiting materials from more than 120 colleges. UM was not one of them, even though we live in Missoula. She had no plans to go to either UM or MSU, but, nonetheless, received numerous mailings from MSU and several scholarship offers. It wasn't a matter of the schools trying to persuade her to attend, but simply that UM ignored a top student who might have contributed to the university.

CDAGRIZ said:

If you need UM to send you a glossy brochure with a bunch of students posing in pictures acting like they're having fun in class to convince you that UM is better than MSU, then you probably have the lil' bro need to be wanted and accepted. In which case, you're probably more MSU's speed anyway.

If the U of M recruited athletes the way they recruit students we would be NAIA...Div2.

cclarkblues said:
CDAGRIZ said:

If the U of M recruited athletes the way they recruit students we would be NAIA...Div2.
This.

'68griz said:
cclarkblues said:
CDAGRIZ said:

This.

OK, fine. That's wild about your daughter, '68. Didn't she end up at Stanford or something, too?

cclarkblues said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Absolutely. +1

CDAGRIZ said:
'68griz said:
cclarkblues said:
CDAGRIZ said:

This.

OK, fine. That's wild about your daughter, '68. Didn't she end up at Stanford or something, too?
Yup, she's done very well. In fact, she's got a BS and an MS and is now working on a second master's.

Back