• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Comments of the mother of a son accused of sexual assault

grizfromhel

from today's Wall Street Journal:

I fear that in the current climate the goal of "women's rights," with the compliance of politically motivated government policy and the tacit complicity of college administrators, runs the risk of grounding our most cherished institutions in a veritable snake pit of injustice—not unlike the very injustices the movement itself has for so long sought to correct. Unbridled feminist orthodoxy is no more the answer than are attitudes and policies that victimize the victim.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324600704578405280211043510.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This article should be posted, and read aloud at each State and private institution of higher learning
on the orientation day. The real scary part is, the cycle will continue, with accusations and mistrust
as instituitons continue to try and cover themselves from negative publicity, know matter where it occurs on the campus, from locker room, to dorm room, to off campus get together, the scorned
feelings of the other will be considered the gospel at all cost of the sacred institution. Not bashing any gender, but it has to stop. To many young lives are ruined for a season or a life time, and the rebuttal is alwayy the same; We afforded the accused the oppurtunity to clear himself, however we know he did it she said so, and thats what we had to go on. Sad.. just frigg'n sad.

So true. Virtually everything in the article has been posted on egriz in multiple posts. My view is that the extreme desire and politics to make "conviction" easier and to "convict" have actually undercut the legitimacy of the cause and university codes, as well as rape laws to some extent.

Not unlike MADD-driven laws such as "In Control of a Vehicle" where you can be arrested and prosecuted for DUI without ever getting behind the wheel.

getgrizzy said:
the mother of a son accused of rape? yeah, there's someone with an objective opinion.
Please indicate what you think is wrong about the statement.

Interestingly, the unfair system employed by universities and colleges is not limited to sexual assault. I had to deal with a disciplinary issue for a client in Wyoming. The school was threatening expulsion without any discernible evidence. They had also planned to have a "hearing" without first disclosing any specific allegations of wrong doing and without identifying any of the alleged witnesses. Once confronted they ultimately backed down, but the institutional lack of fairness was pretty disturbing. We should expect a whole lot more from our places of "higher" learning.

kemajic said:
getgrizzy said:
the mother of a son accused of rape? yeah, there's someone with an objective opinion.
since, in her opinion, her son wasn't given due process it's ok for her to do the same? where are both sides of this story. or are you just going to take her word for it? i like how at the end she basically says rape happens on campus all the time and we should do what we can to deter it, well, er, except when you're accusing my son, because he'd never rape anyone. doesn't that sound like a typical mom?

getgrizzy said:

To her credit, she is mostly criticizing the process not just her family's personal experience.

getgrizzy said:
kemajic said:
getgrizzy said:
since, in her opinion, her son wasn't given due process it's ok for her to do the same? where are both sides of this story. or are you just going to take her word for it? i like how at the end she basically says rape happens on campus all the time and we should do what we can to deter it, well, er, except when you're accusing my son, because he'd never rape anyone. doesn't that sound like a typical mom?
She didn't say that at all. She said he deserved due process and the right to defend himself. The Coture/Johnson debacle all over again. And you disagree....

getgrizzy said:
kemajic said:
getgrizzy said:

She doesn't go into much of the allegations or the case against-or for her son. She is describing the process.

I could not resist sending the link along to RE with the subject line "tacit complicity of college administrators" and a few Coture-related observations.

ranco said:
Interestingly, the unfair system employed by universities and colleges is not limited to sexual assault. I had to deal with a disciplinary issue for a client in Wyoming. The school was threatening expulsion without any discernible evidence. They had also planned to have a "hearing" without first disclosing any specific allegations of wrong doing and without identifying any of the alleged witnesses. Once confronted they ultimately backed down, but the institutional lack of fairness was pretty disturbing. We should expect a whole lot more from our places of "higher" learning.
Yet are confused about declining enrollment....

Ursa Major said:
getgrizzy said:

To her credit, she is mostly criticizing the process not just her family's personal experience.
exactly. she's putting the process on trial, but its just her side of the story. had it not been her son she would be just fine with it, but her son would never rape anyone and, of course nether would j.j. or a priest.

getgrizzy said:
Ursa Major said:
getgrizzy said:

exactly. she's putting the process on trial, but its just her side of the story. had it not been her son she would be just fine with it, but her son would never rape anyone and, of course nether would j.j. or a priest.
She is not nearly as opinionated as you.

getgrizzy said:
Ursa Major said:
getgrizzy said:

She suggested that she was a feminist before this experience which I believe only strengthens her position. Think Nixon going to China. I think you're point that, " if it wasn't her son she would be just fine with it", is also her point. If she hadn't had a personal experience she woud not have witnessed how the process now works and would not have changed her position. She attacks the process more as an attorney than as a mom, IMO.

kemajic said:
getgrizzy said:

He apparently thinks a person making a false accusation is more objective.

Note that most of the editorial was about the process and the standard used, so why wouldn't a mom and lawyer be able to be objective about thay?

getgrizzy said:
kemajic said:
getgrizzy said:

She is an individual--not a university or university tribunal. She owes no duty for due process or fairness. A university and university tribunal does.

kemajic said:
getgrizzy said:
Ursa Major said:
getgrizzy said:

She is not nearly as opinionated as you.

She's also smarter and more articulate.

Back