• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Changes Coming to College Football?

NavyBlue

I thought this was interesting, I saw it on the MWC board, thought some on here might be interested.

http://www.vuhoops.com/catholic-7-news-analysis/2013/10/1/4789334/fbs-board-produces-a-formal-proposal-to-split-division-i-down" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?showtopic=49988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting. I think the proposal would spell the end of the NCAA, which, quite frankly, may not be a bad idea. If the NCAA is excluded from the revenue produced by the top flight football programs, it would be nearly irrelevant. Basketball wouldn't be far behind....

ranco said:
Interesting. I think the proposal would spell the end of the NCAA, which, quite frankly, may not be a bad idea. If the NCAA is excluded from the revenue produced by the top flight football programs, it would be nearly irrelevant. Basketball wouldn't be far behind....

The NCAA gets most of their revenue from March Madness, not football. The big boys already control their football money.

If they break up March Madness they'll lose a lot of interest, if it's just the big boys (i.e. ACC/BIG) there won't be VCU or Butler making a run. How many of the millions of casual fans who fill out brackets will stay interested if it's Big Dogs only? I imagine they realize this and there are over 800 million reasons yearly for that.

Mr. Greenjeans said:
ranco said:

The NCAA gets most of their revenue from March Madness, not football. The big boys already control their football money.

If they break up March Madness they'll lose a lot of interest, if it's just the big boys (i.e. ACC/BIG) there won't be VCU or Butler making a run. How many of the millions of casual fans who fill out brackets will stay interested if it's Big Dogs only? I imagine they realize this and there are over 800 million reasons yearly for that.

"The overwhelming majority of the NCAA's money comes from its Division I men's basketball tournament rights deal with CBS and Turner Broadcasting System that provided $666 million in 2012, according the association's audited financial statement for the year ending Aug. 31, 2011. Another $18.8 million came from the NCAA's contract with ESPN for the rights to the Division I women's basketball tournament and other NCAA championships.

Those two contracts accounted for around 80% of the association's revenue, Christianson said; the NCAA gets additional money from ESPN for basketball's National Invitation Tournament and international rights."

This proposal outlines a plan in which the majority of schools and conferences currently in Division I-FBS would separate from the FCS and non-football schools within Division I of the NCAA and form a new division. In many of the non-football sports, however, it is envisioned that these football schools would also participate in the post-season competitions as the FCS and non-football schools.

For football, it's the end of the I-A/FBS and I-AA/FCS designations, essentially. In the other sports, the BCS schools and perhaps most of the rest of FBS would have their cake and eat it too; they would play for the same NCAA titles in basketball and other sports, but do so under a different set of rules, that won't be available to the schools left behind in Division I.

They basically don't want the FCS and non-FBS Div. I presidents voting on any decisions that might affect them.

I think the article basically says that even if they create a new division the sports other than football would still compete against all D-I schools for national titles, so March Madness would not be affected - except to teh extent that 'FBS" schools woudl be paying stipends ot athletes, while non "FBS" schools would not, making it even more difficult for non-FBS teams to compete.

In this scenario I could see non-football, and non-scholarship football schools also offering stipends, leaving FCS schools standing alone in not offering stipends. A few of the FCS schools would then either drop football, go non-scholarship or go FBS in order to compete in Basketball. Teams that are traditional basketball powers in the FCS like Northern Iowa would have a tough decision to make.

Believe it or not, I believe when all this plays out, the schools in Montana's situation will be better off than now. I have thought that for the last several years. I am not concerned about what is happening with all the moves. My concern is no faith in the man directing the U of MT. I am praying he proves me wrong, or by the grace of GOD, he is no longer at the U of M.

Is Engstrom a liability or not? I believe he is.

mtgrizrule said:
Believe it or not, I believe when all this plays out, the schools in Montana's situation will be better off than now. I have thought that for the last several years.
Why? We will go from being a have-not, affiliation-wise, to being have-not, affiliation-wise.

mtgrizrule said:
Believe it or not, I believe when all this plays out, the schools in Montana's situation will be better off than now. I have thought that for the last several years. I am not concerned about what is happening with all the moves. My concern is no faith in the man directing the U of MT. I am praying he proves me wrong, or by the grace of GOD, he is no longer at the U of M.

Is Engstrom a liability or not? I believe he is.

I agree with you! I believe that something like this is absolutely going to happen, I just hope it is sooner rather than later.

Back