• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

cat/griz games

The next time people ask why the basketball programs can't sell out this is a good reason why. It's hard to get excited for something you never have a chance to see in person. Awful decision by a short sighted league.

So I have to take a Monday off to get drunk for the game AND then take a Tuesday off because I'm too hung-over for work??

Fuck that!

The BSC seemingly does everything in it's power to screw Montana. Most leagues do all they can to,support their top programs and cash cows. The BSC? Nah, lets do all we can to prop up programs who can't support themselves. Everyone gets a ribbon!!!!!

When can we move to a real conference, again???

EverettGriz said:
The BSC seemingly does everything in it's power to screw Montana. Most leagues do all they can to support their top programs and cash cows. The BSC?

+1

The BSC officials that decided the schedule can just go fuck themselves. It should be on a thursday or a saturday...no question. I mean, who has represented the BSC in the NCAA Tournament two out of the past three years, anyways? Some reward for a job well done.

WOW, can we please move to a new conference and or get a new conference commissioner? What a joke this is. My comments are well beyond R rated beyond what I just said. Chris, can we do a post of nothing but cursing? LOL

It's not just Montana, I dont know about the rest of the BSC, but Weber is playing thier "biggest rivals" on Mondays as well.

Weber plays home to Idaho State Monday Jan 20th and @ Idaho State Monday Feb 17th

edit: I think it's like that for every team, Eastern Washington is playing Portland State both times on Mondays as well.

So it doesnt look like to me that the Big Sky is just "screwing" Montana, I think it's the Big Sky's way (albiet a poor way) of highlighting Rivalry games.

well, barring a miracle season...this move should finally push us over the edge of being hardly relevant to absolutely, without a doubt, not in the slightest relevant at all. :cry:

i mean, for the last few seasons attendance is down. support for hoops is at an all-time low. but at the very least we could count on at least a respectable crowd when or bitter rivals came in town on the weekend. now we'll still likely be crappy, we'll still have very little fan support, and even the attendance for this game will be terrible. :cry:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

WILDCATFAN said:
It's not just Montana, I dont know about the rest of the BSC, but Weber is playing thier "biggest rivals" on Mondays as well.

Weber plays home to Idaho State Monday Jan 20th and @ Idaho State Monday Feb 17th

edit: I think it's like that for every team, Eastern Washington is playing Portland State both times on Mondays as well.

So it doesnt look like to me that the Big Sky is just "screwing" Montana, I think it's the Big Sky's way (albiet a poor way) of highlighting Rivalry games.

With all due respect, those are NOT rivalry games. At least, not in the same way UM/MSU is. It's ridiculous to even try to compare those.

But in any event, it doesn't change the point: This conference has 4 marquee games a year: UM at MSU, MSU at UM, Weber at UM, UM at Weber. Rather than do all they can to eliminate any excitement and attendance, the league should put those games on the calendar first -- in the PRIME spots -- and work backward from there. That's how a REAL league does it.

As I said above, most leagues do all they can to highlight and support the cash cows. The BSC would rather ensure that SUU and UNC and PSU don't feel left out. It's maddening. And it's wrong.

When can we leave for a real conference, again??

According to this link (http://www.gogriz.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/061213aaa.html), it sounds like it was SUU (not the conference authorities) dragging their feet that hindered the games being doubleheaders.

The only times when the schedule varies from its Thursday-Saturday regularity will be playing at Southern Utah, at the Thunderbirds' request, on Wednesday, Feb. 26, instead of Thursday, Feb. 27, and the Monday night games against Montana State on Feb. 3 in Missoula and March 3 at Bozeman.

Last season, first-year Big Sky member Southern Utah acquiesced when asked to adjust its schedule (for the worse) so Montana and Montana State could play its women's and men's games on the same day at the same location. That won't be repeated next winter.

When the Lady Griz are hosting the Bobcats on Feb. 3, the men will be playing in Bozeman. The scenario will be flipped on March 3.

"That's something that's different again," Selvig said. "You'd rather not play those games on a Monday, but that's the nature of the league right now with 11 teams."

EverettGriz said:
WILDCATFAN said:

With all due respect, those are NOT rivalry games. At least, not in the same way UM/MSU is. It's ridiculous to even try to compare those.

But in any event, it doesn't change the point: This conference has 4 marquee games a year: UM at MSU, MSU at UM, Weber at UM, UM at Weber. Rather than do all they can to eliminate any excitement and attendance, the league should put those games on the calendar first -- in the PRIME spots -- and work backward from there. That's how a REAL league does it.

As I said above, most leagues do all they can to highlight and support the cash cows. The BSC would rather ensure that SUU and UNC and PSU don't feel left out. It's maddening. And it's wrong.

And people wonder why fans of other schools dislike UM fans!

box, it ain't arrogance when you're right.

I suppose you think that the Tennessee/Tennessee State game is as big as Duke/North Carolina. Gimme a break. Weber is a great program. Idaho State is not. And those two teams aren't even in the same state. Comparing that to the UM/MSU rivalry is going to come up short each and every time. But I suspect you already know that and are just trolling for the hell of it.

EverettGriz said:
box, it ain't arrogance when you're right.

I suppose you think that the Tennessee/Tennessee State game is as big as Duke/North Carolina. Gimme a break. Weber is a great program. Idaho State is not. And those two teams aren't even in the same state. Comparing that to the UM/MSU rivalry is going to come up short each and every time. But I suspect you already know that and are just trolling for the hell of it.

That seems to be dismissive of the entire history of their rivalry. I sure wouldn't speak to the level some other school's rivalry outside of our state just because I don't pay attention to it. The UM Idaho rivalry was bigger than the UM/MSU rivalry and we aren't in the same state.

EverettGriz said:
WILDCATFAN said:

With all due respect, Weber's normally highest attended home games are against Idaho State, football and basketball. Example last year, Weber's second highest attended home game second only to the 10,583 for the CIT Championship was the 8,758 Weber had vs Idaho State, a larger crowd than that which showed up for the BYU game.

You might not care about other Sky rivalries, or think they are even significant, but the other teams that are apart of those rivalries DO, and to their fans those games are just as important to them as Cat/Griz (or Griz/Cat) is to you and other UM fans. So when I say it hurts the other schools in the conf, and not just Montana, it is true, just ask Idaho State's fans who were pissed last year because they had to play Weber at home on a Monday. These rivalries DO matter to these schools, and to say they dont, IS arrogant

Last year 8,758 fans showed up to a MONDAY NIGHT Weber/Id St game.....imagine if the game was on Saturday

p.s. You dont have to be in the same state to be big rivals, just ask these schools

Texas/Oklahoma
Ohio State/Michigan
Army/Navy
Georgia/Florida
Wyoming/Colorado State
New Mexico/UTEP
USC/Notre Dame
Yale/Harvard
North Dakota State/South Dakota State

for starters

DoubleNicks said:
According to this link (http://www.gogriz.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/061213aaa.html), it sounds like it was SUU (not the conference authorities) dragging their feet that hindered the games being doubleheaders.

The only times when the schedule varies from its Thursday-Saturday regularity will be playing at Southern Utah, at the Thunderbirds' request, on Wednesday, Feb. 26, instead of Thursday, Feb. 27, and the Monday night games against Montana State on Feb. 3 in Missoula and March 3 at Bozeman.

Last season, first-year Big Sky member Southern Utah acquiesced when asked to adjust its schedule (for the worse) so Montana and Montana State could play its women's and men's games on the same day at the same location. That won't be repeated next winter.

When the Lady Griz are hosting the Bobcats on Feb. 3, the men will be playing in Bozeman. The scenario will be flipped on March 3.

"That's something that's different again," Selvig said. "You'd rather not play those games on a Monday, but that's the nature of the league right now with 11 teams."

The Big Sky really needs to compensate both Montana and Montana St for loss of ticket sales.

If a UND/NDSU basketball game is played on a weeknight, it likely means that at least 2000 fewer tickets are sold than on a Friday/Sat night or Sunday afternoon.

Yes it's not too far fetched to think this decision will cost UM close to $50,000. If the Monday date costs the men 2,500 attendees and the women 1,500 (ave ticket price $10 to $15), the math is pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back