• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Carp Cut

grizindabox

DONOR
Brian McIntyre ‏@brian_mcintyre 1m
Wow. Dolphins terminated the contract of K Dan Carpenter. Was due $2.675M in base salary in final year of contract. It's Caleb Sturgis time

I give it 5-7 days and he's the kicker for a new team.

Now, if JW would/could just find a new team I could remove the Dolphins from my "teams I have to check the box scores" list...

Wow that is crazy. Pretty much unless you are the best at that position you are considered replaceable. I would love for the Niners to cut Phil Dawson and sign Dan Carpenter.

BDizzle said:
Wow that is crazy. Pretty much unless you are the best at that position you are considered replaceable. I would love for the Niners to cut Phil Dawson and sign Dan Carpenter.

It boils down to if a team can get somewhat comparable results for less money from a younger player, the older guy is down the road.

grizindabox said:
BDizzle said:

It boils down to if a team can get somewhat comparable results for less money from a younger player, the older guy is down the road.
Yeah, I mean Carp did the same thing to Feeley. NFL = not for long, when there's always someone younger and cheaper

Yep. This is why it's a bit of a catch-22 when you sign a large contract in football. Since they're not guaranteed, you've got to be considerably better than those competing for your job. Otherwise, they just go with the cheap guy.

I don't suppose he needs a masters degree for anything and has some eligibility left?????

If Carp is willing to sign a contract for less than $1.3 million, there are many options including the Pack.

grizindabox said:
If Carp is willing to sign a contract for less than $1.3 million, there are many options including the Pack.

Could he? I wonder what the league minimum is for his "tenure".

Griz2k said:
grizindabox said:

2014 NFL vet minimum for 4-6 years of service is $730,000, jumps to $855,000 with 7-9 years

The Miami Dolphins organization is ran no better than the Oakland Raiders. Im a big Dolphin fan and i have never understood the decisions they make.. They love cutting players or trading players in their prime.

grizcountry420 said:
The Miami Dolphins organization is ran no better than the Oakland Raiders. Im a big Dolphin fan and i have never understood the decisions they make.. They love cutting players or trading players in their prime.

Actually, the Carpenter move does make some sense from a $$$$ point of view.

grizcountry420 said:

Not cool.

With the minimum salary benefit there are ways for teams to pay a veteran the applicable minimum wage for that player (plus a signing bonus of $65,000 or less) while only counting a second year player equivalent (plus the signing bonus) against their cap. So, Carpenter could sign with another team for his applicable minimum and the team could count him against their cap as if he was a second year player. This is a way for vets like Carpenter to market their skills without pricing themselves out of the game. The veteran in such a situation can only be signed to a one-year deal, though.

grizindabox said:
grizcountry420 said:

Actually, the Carpenter move does make some sense from a $$$$ point of view.

Yeah, they need all the money they can to pay for Mike Wallace and then they'll trade him for a 3rd round pick kinda like what happend with Brandon Marshall

Maybe Dan can come back and gives some tips to our current kickers until someone picks him up. We need a little help based on the first scrimmage.

grizindabox said:
Griz2k said:
grizindabox said:

2014 NFL vet minimum for 4-6 years of service is $730,000, jumps to $855,000 with 7-9 years

Answers that question. Thanks! I don't think he'll be out of a job for long.

Back