• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

canada not the answer?

mtgrizfankb

Today I've been watching the replay of the game and have noticed a big issue. The blocking on a lot of run plays were not that bad. A few plays we ran into the blitz and vs a good team that's going to happen. However, Canada has this nasty habit of putting his head down and hitting the wrong gap. John was much more effective running. He only ended with 15 yards on five carries. But on 2 carries we ran into a blitz, one he pounded out 2 yards and the others he had two nice cuts and good solid carries. Personally I think he needs to see the ball more if van does sit the next two games. Canada would be more effective on the goal line and he can find those little creases but maybe less is more with Canada right now.

Like much of the Griz football team right now JC is banged up, and he's had a TON of carries in recent weeks. Nyguen is doing a nice job but I'm not gonna lie, Alpha got in my head during the Peter Nyguen days, because every time Lil' John totes it I'm scared he's going to fumble.

Bottom line, the Griz desperately need a 100 percent healthy Travon Van! Unfortunately, as high ankle sprains go, I'm concerned a 100 percent healthy Van won't be seen until spring ball.

There have been several cases of him getting low and trying to plow into a hole which isn't there. However, Canada runs hard, is fast, and has shown he can find the seem. With our other injuries, we certainly need to see John Ngueyen (sp???) getting plenty of carries. I think one of Jordan Canada's problem is that after Van's injury he has been rode too hard. He has been pounded in every game and may be in a bit of self preservation mode anticipating getting slammed at the line. We definitely need to get John in there more to spell him. Not to mention John has been running well when given the chance.

Being without 2 of our top 3 backs has forced Canada to carry more of the load than he should be, and maybe it's showing a little bit. Nothing against Nguyen but I think Van and Counts bring something that John doesn't, the homerun threat from Van and the quick-hit power up the middle from Counts. Without those two it has allowed the defenses to hone in on one running style and contain it, and made it harder for either one to find any room. We don't have anybody who I consider an every-down back, and losing 2 of our top 3 only exposes that more.

:twocents:

havgrizfan said:
Like much of the Griz football team right now JC is banged up, and he's had a TON of carries in recent weeks. Nyguen is doing a nice job but I'm not gonna lie, Alpha got in my head during the Peter Nyguen days, because every time Lil' John totes it I'm scared he's going to fumble.

Bottom line, the Griz desperately need a 100 percent healthy Travon Van! Unfortunately, as high ankle sprains go, I'm concerned a 100 percent healthy Van won't be seen until spring ball.

I kind of like how John runs. He seems to run with a little bit of anger.

cclarkblues said:
havgrizfan said:

Agreed, this weekend is the perfect game to rest Canada and give John more touches no matter what Alpha says......he of "The Confederacy of Dunces."

mtgrizfankb said:
Today I've been watching the replay of the game and have noticed a big issue. The blocking on a lot of run plays were not that bad. A few plays we ran into the blitz and vs a good team that's going to happen. However, Canada has this nasty habit of putting his head down and hitting the wrong gap. John was much more effective running. He only ended with 15 yards on five carries. But on 2 carries we ran into a blitz, one he pounded out 2 yards and the others he had two nice cuts and good solid carries. Personally I think he needs to see the ball more if van does sit the next two games. Canada would be more effective on the goal line and he can find those little creases but maybe less is more with Canada right now.
I think you are right, Canada seems to hit the wrong gap pretty consistently.

ranco said:
mtgrizfankb said:
I think you are right, Canada seems to hit the wrong gap pretty consistently.

I think most posters have hit the mark on this one. I think he is very good when he is balanced with a different style. The last few weeks, it has basically been just him, and you have seen the running game really struggle. I think in most of his games where he has had monster numbers, we still had a healthy second back, be it Van this year or Pete "Win" last year. It makes me think that no matter what the coaches think about the drop off in talent, they should make sure that his compliment back gets a decent number of carries even if it is the young Nyguen (sp?).

One thing I have noticed, is that with the exception of this past week, I don't think the defenses that we have struggled to run against have been significantly better than those we had success against earlier in the season. If the OLine was good enough then, they are good enough now. I do think that Canada magnifies the O-Line issues a bit because he has a tendency to give up on the lane and try and break the run outside, and he just isn't fast enough to do that against an above average defense.

More of the negative rushing yards Canada had was in the face of a real heavy blitz.

Another thing that I noticed a lot watching the game was how well he did in pass-protection. Would almost always pick up a blitzing backer or DB, many times taking them to the ground.

"......we certainly need to see John Ngueyen (sp???)...."

Funny. I have had the same issue for years. Easier to just spell it "Win" We all know who you are talking about.

BWahlberg said:
More of the negative rushing yards Canada had was in the face of a real heavy blitz.

Another thing that I noticed a lot watching the game was how well he did in pass-protection. Would almost always pick up a blitzing backer or DB, many times taking them to the ground.
I'm glad you brought up Jordan's blocking. This has been the biggest improvement in Canada's game. He is becoming a really, really good blocker and has saved JJ from getting destroyed quite a few times this season.

Canada is awesome, he will have a great game this weekend and a HUGE game in blowsman on the 23rd. I hope Travon gets healthy enough to cut by then!

cclarkblues said:
havgrizfan said:

I agree with the anger part in nyguen,,,at 5'7" and 180 pounds, he finishes runs well, and he is only a true freshman...pretty darn good now and add 10 pounds of muscle and he may give all the backs a run for their money in the future......

mtgrizfankb said:

I noticed that on 2 or 3 occasions too. Canada is a good player, though.

havgrizfan said:

P. Nguyen lost a total of 4 fumbles his junior and seniors years, including the punt at Tennessee. Yes, you and many others let Alpha get in your head.

PlayerRep said:
havgrizfan said:

P. Nguyen lost a total of 4 fumbles his junior and seniors years, including the punt at Tennessee. Yes, you and many others let Alpha get in your head.

How many DIDN'T he lose?

Player, I loved Peter Nyguen, and I believe he was the heart and soul of last year's Griz' team, as well as a very underappreciated running back, but that doesn't mean he didn't have a fumbling problem. Yes, the Griz got MOST of his fumbles back, but there is no denying the kid had a pension to drop the ball, and i know for a FACT, that during his career, he acknowledged that himself and worked hard on trying to get better at it because I heard him say it in a press conference in 2011.

Didn't J.Nguyn muff one of his first punt returns this season? I cant remember who it was against, but im pretty sure the other team scored as a result.

havgrizfan said:
Player, I loved Peter Nyguen, and I believe he was the heart and soul of last year's Griz' team, as well as a very underappreciated running back, but that doesn't mean he didn't have a fumbling problem. Yes, the Griz got MOST of his fumbles back, but there is no denying the kid had a pension to drop the ball, and i know for a FACT, that during his career, he acknowledged that himself and worked hard on trying to get better at it because I heard him say it in a press conference in 2011.

2 fumble and 2 lost fumbles his senior year, assuming I am correct that the fumble incorrectly attributed to him was last year, and not the prior year. Think it was Canada's fumble. Bad sophomore year, and yes some of his fumbles were recovered by UM his junior year. Moore lost more fumbles than Nguyen last year, in far fewer games and carries--and everyone gave him a pass.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
havgrizfan said:

How many DIDN'T he lose?

None his senior year.

Latest posts

Back