• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Canada and Van

GlacierGrizX

Well-known member
It sounds like Canada and Van both had good springs and probably will be our feature backs. What style and sets, will they be used in? I want to see something other than spread option left/right and bubble/middle screen left/right this year! From other posters it sounds like Kirscher might be our short yardage back. It also sounds like we maybe under center in power formations. Will we be in two TE sets since, we have a few on the team? Those in the know please enlighten!
 
GlacierGrizX said:
It sounds like Canada and Van both had good springs and probably will be our feature backs. What style and sets, will they be used in? I want to see something other than spread option left/right and bubble/middle screen left/right this year! From other posters it sounds like Kirscher might be our short yardage back. It also sounds like we maybe under center in power formations. Will we be in two TE sets since, we have a few on the team? Those in the know please enlighten!

Did you see any of the spring scrimmages? If not go back and read those threads that will help you out.
 
GlacierGrizX said:
It sounds like Canada and Van both had good springs and probably will be our feature backs. What style and sets, will they be used in? I want to see something other than spread option left/right and bubble/middle screen left/right this year! From other posters it sounds like Kirscher might be our short yardage back. It also sounds like we maybe under center in power formations. Will we be in two TE sets since, we have a few on the team? Those in the know please enlighten!

Canada as we know is a good 1-cut and go runner, works well with the zone block. Being a power-back isn't his strong suit just bc of his size. What stood out the most to me this spring was that in addition to his quick running and firing through opened up lanes was his pass-catching which seems to be something he's worked on.

Van seemed (to me) to have the best success running the same way but he's a guy that unlike what we've seen out of a lot of Griz running backs in the last few years (Canada, Nguyen, Reynolds, Hilliard) he is more shifty, can make multiple cuts if needed, and can create/find more yardage with more shifts/jukes. He looks real tall... but that's just because we've grown accustomed to the sub 5'10" backs of late. It's hard to compare Van to any other running back I've seen in a Griz uniform.

Neither are power guys, they'd rather make would-be tacklers miss them entirely. Counts and Kirschner will be our power guys this year. I expect all four to get the ball a bunch this season.
 
I keep repeating that Joey Counts will be a sleeper this fall. Has sneaky power and can catch the ball. He brings good extra punch to the table.

We have good backs with good depth. Add in some RS kids or a potential frosh we are in the best pre season position at RBs in 100 years!
 
Umista said:
I keep repeating that Joey Counts will be a sleeper this fall. Has sneaky power and can catch the ball. He brings good extra punch to the table.

We have good backs with good depth. Add in some RS kids or a potential frosh we are in the best pre season position at RBs in 100 years!


I think this is pretty accurate, while we do not have a dominate back (moore) we sure have some very good backs across the board....the question will be how to let their talent shine in situations of games....Delaney, has my full support, but ultimately that is his job...I hope I am a happy guy at the end of the season....
 
Mick says the best players will play, whether they're frosh or upper-classmen. Anybody think Treshawn Favors will see the field this year?
 
AllWeatherFan said:
Mick says the best players will play, whether they're frosh or upper-classmen. Anybody think Treshawn Favors will see the field this year?
I wouldn't bet against it. Still a possibility he could redshirt, but with his speed, we could see him right away.
 
Canada as we know is a good 1-cut and go runner, works well with the zone block. Being a power-back isn't his strong suit just bc of his size. What stood out the most to me this spring was that in addition to his quick running and firing through opened up lanes was his pass-catching which seems to be something he's worked on.

Van seemed (to me) to have the best success running the same way but he's a guy that unlike what we've seen out of a lot of Griz running backs in the last few years (Canada, Nguyen, Reynolds, Hilliard) he is more shifty, can make multiple cuts if needed, and can create/find more yardage with more shifts/jukes. He looks real tall... but that's just because we've grown accustomed to the sub 5'10" backs of late. It's hard to compare Van to any other running back I've seen in a Griz uniform.

Neither are power guys, they'd rather make would-be tacklers miss them entirely. Counts and Kirschner will be our power guys this year. I expect all four to get the ball a bunch this season.[/quote]

So if Van is a multiple cuts type-of-guy, who is our FB to make a block on a sweep, iso. tail-back counter,etc formations? Do we have the stellar guards that can pull across ? Do we have TE's that can block and seal the DE on the edge and scrap to the LB? Will it be mostly out of the pistol with JJ at the helm and Canada and Van on the left and right?
 
IF, and that's a huge if, Curtis White is healthy he will be great. Again, it is up to the coaches to call plays that utilize our tight ends, but I love the fact that JJ and White have an already-developed chemistry based on their high school days. If White is even 80% the player most colleges thought he was coming out of high school, we will be good to go.
 
Umista said:
I keep repeating that Joey Counts will be a sleeper this fall. Has sneaky power and can catch the ball. He brings good extra punch to the table.

We have good backs with good depth. Add in some RS kids or a potential frosh we are in the best pre season position at RBs in 100 years!

Hopefully the coaches will awaken the Beast and open the cage! Given legit reps Counts won't disappoint and could do great things for the Griz! key words "given legit reps". By way of Spring Ball though, looks like offense plan to use Counts/Kirschner/Hagfors to block/help pave the way for the running game. Pump up the OL and let C/K/H run. Now that'd be some great football. With talent Griz have this year across the board it would be a shame not to use it and coaches wish they had.
 
krammer said:
Umista said:
I keep repeating that Joey Counts will be a sleeper this fall. Has sneaky power and can catch the ball. He brings good extra punch to the table.

We have good backs with good depth. Add in some RS kids or a potential frosh we are in the best pre season position at RBs in 100 years!


I think this is pretty accurate, while we do not have a dominate back (moore) we sure have some very good backs across the board....the question will be how to let their talent shine in situations of games....Delaney, has my full support, but ultimately that is his job...I hope I am a happy guy at the end of the season....

Dominate back...Counts -Moore's twin plus! Develop Kirschner! Yes, question is will coaches use the talent under their noses. Or....
 
GlacierGrizX said:
So if Van is a multiple cuts type-of-guy, who is our FB to make a block on a sweep, iso. tail-back counter,etc formations? Do we have the stellar guards that can pull across ? Do we have TE's that can block and seal the DE on the edge and scrap to the LB? Will it be mostly out of the pistol with JJ at the helm and Canada and Van on the left and right?

With all of those questions I wonder if you have ever watched a snap of Griz football.
 
Forshizzlegrizzle said:
GlacierGrizX said:
So if Van is a multiple cuts type-of-guy, who is our FB to make a block on a sweep, iso. tail-back counter,etc formations? Do we have the stellar guards that can pull across ? Do we have TE's that can block and seal the DE on the edge and scrap to the LB? Will it be mostly out of the pistol with JJ at the helm and Canada and Van on the left and right?

With all of those questions I wonder if you have ever watched a snap of Griz football.
:lol: :lol:
 
Forshizzlegrizzle said:
GlacierGrizX said:
So if Van is a multiple cuts type-of-guy, who is our FB to make a block on a sweep, iso. tail-back counter,etc formations? Do we have the stellar guards that can pull across ? Do we have TE's that can block and seal the DE on the edge and scrap to the LB? Will it be mostly out of the pistol with JJ at the helm and Canada and Van on the left and right?

With all of those questions I wonder if you have ever watched a snap of Griz football.

Well, I did not go to any of the spring scrimmages, and last year I seen about 6 basic plays all year long x 2 for left vs right. Maybe you and Delaney could switch positions and we would have 8 and maybe a 6-5 record there stud! When you have to start bringing in lots of people to fill gaps there is a PROBLEM! Maybe your solution to our DB play is to have them guard the goal line and hopefully our front seven can hold there and anything past they can have; as long as they don't score its considered a win!
 
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
WaGriz4life said:
I'm real worried about the Tight Ends
Why? It seems every year it's been "Oh, THIS is the year we're going to use TE's more...." and it never happens. I'm not too worried.
I'm worried because I don't think our TE's are very good. I hope we don't try to use them a lot this year.
 
Back
Top