• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

bus service between Missoula and West Glacier?

apphiker

Hello, App State fan here. I'm planning a trip this summer that will include backpacking in Glacier and the App State / Montana game in Missoula. I've been to Glacier and Missoula previously, and I'm really looking forward to returning! One question - does anybody know if there is bus service or other public transportation between West Glacier and Missoula? Thanks.

Gotta rent a car or find a Griz fan heading up 93 to the Flathead Valley. Don't use Greyhound or Rimrock - you'll waste a lot of time.

Get a car and a map and go.

galeh said:
As of right now there is no bus service from Kalispell to Missoula

Yeah, the feds shut down Rimrock a few weeks ago, saying it was unsafe. Rimrock officiails have said they are planning to get back into service, but they have a long list of demands they have to meet.

Best bet is just to rent a car at Missoula, especially since there is no bus service from Kalispell up to Glacier. And once you're at Glacier, it would be good to have the flexibility to be able to run around to various spots there.

I agree. Rent a car. Glacier is amazing, still to this day from a lifelong Montanan who visits nearly every summer it never gets old. DO NOT visit Glacier without a visit to the Many Glacier/Swiftcurrent area. Best part of the park IMO. Rent a little cabin at Swiftcurrent and you will experience total stress relief. No cell coverage, no tv or radio, just total peace and quiet. If you need more info about the swiftcurrent area PM me I know the area well as we spend a week there every summer.

And also, if in the swiftcurrent/ Many Glacier area, hit the Cattle Baron supper club (just outside of the park in Babb) for an amazing steak!

Definitely rent a car and drive. It is well worth it. It is an absolute must to experience at it's best, by driving.

Come to think of it, one of the highlights of Glacier is a drive over the Going to the Sun highway; it takes you over the Divide -- and you can return over Highway 2 south of the park. Good way to see many of the park's glaciers. However, I'm not sure if Going to the Sun has been completed and will be fully open this summer (someone else on this board will know)

grizonbob said:
Come to think of it, one of the highlights of Glacier is a drive over the Going to the Sun highway; it takes you over the Divide -- and you can return over Highway 2 south of the park. Good way to see many of the park's glaciers. However, I'm not sure if Going to the Sun has been completed and will be fully open this summer (someone else on this board will know)
It hasn't been completed. It's better to use the park shuttle and cross the park that way. Then you can at least look around. Driving the going to the sun road sucks. Can't view the scenery for fear of plummeting thousands of feet into the abyss.

Thanks everyone. I probably should've mentioned that I'm going to Glacier first, then to Missoula. I will most likely arrive in Glacier via Amtrak, and fly home from Missoula. I was hoping to avoid the cost of a one-way car rental to get to Missoula, but I may just have to bite the bullet on that. Thanks again - I'm really looking forward to the trip!

Thanks everyone for the info and the ride offers. I submitted a backcountry permit reservation application a few weeks ago. Once I get a response on that I'll be able to make more specific plans. I'll keep you all posted as those plans develop.

apphiker said:
Thanks everyone. I probably should've mentioned that I'm going to Glacier first, then to Missoula. I will most likely arrive in Glacier via Amtrak, and fly home from Missoula. I was hoping to avoid the cost of a one-way car rental to get to Missoula, but I may just have to bite the bullet on that. Thanks again - I'm really looking forward to the trip!

Rent a car through National. I don't think they have drop off charges.

Back