• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

BSC Strength

kemajic

DONOR
There was a lot of commentary about how strong the BSC after the first week. This week they were 3-8. Of the three wins, two were to DII's, one to an NAIA. Of the 8 losses, one was to a DII. 0-7 vs. DI's, 3-1 vs. DII's/NAIA's.

It's a long season and a few weeks should be in the book before making such claims.

Agreed, Kem. For every ewoo over OSU, there's a unc getting beat by a school no one has ever heard of, or a weber giving up 70.

Good topic. You forgot to mention the BSC is the largest conference in FCS so numbers won't tell the whole story. I've said it before that it is the MVC that is the strongest conference in the FCS right now. In my opinion, the BSC has never been that strong of a conference but produces one or two national teams a year.

I would argue the BSC is more competitive now than it ever has been. But, as a conference, it is not as good as the MVC.

kemajic said:
There was a lot of commentary about how strong the BSC after the first week. This week they were 3-8. Of the three wins, two were to DII's, one to an NAIA. Of the 8 losses, one was to a DII. 0-7 vs. DI's, 3-1 vs. DII's/NAIA's.

It's a long season and a few weeks should be in the book before making such claims.

A bit of an over reach at one point in time. Teams on all levels are playing up or down at this point in the season.The top teams in the BSC have done pretty well against higher level competition (PSU, EWU, etc.).

We know you trumpet moving up and that's ok. Anyone observing the college football realm can see the power conferences are moving away from the NCAA bailiwick, the medium guys, including Boise State will be left behind. That's us, for the informed. When it shakes out and a playoff system is started for the underclass in FBS it will be time to move up.Until then it's just noise. Look forward to that day.

EverettGriz said:
Agreed, Kem. For every ewoo over OSU, there's a unc getting beat by a school no one has ever heard of, or a weber giving up 70.

THe bottom of the BSC suck, the better teams are competitive with the lesser FBS teams, as I opined earlier we won't get into the big boy's party when the big 5 walk from the NCAA.

When that goes down (won't be long) we can can move up to the second fiddle group with the top of the conference and the Mac, Sun Belt, etc. I agree that's where we should be playing.

Mr. Greenjeans said:
EverettGriz said:

THe bottom of the BSC suck, the better teams are competitive with the lesser FBS teams, as I opined earlier we won't get into the big boy's party when the big 5 walk from the NCAA.

When that goes down (won't be long) we can can move up to the second fiddle group with the top of the conference and the Mac, Sun Belt, etc. I agree that's where we should be playing.

The bottom of every conference sucks, even the SEC - there's always got to be some crappy teams in a conference, it's just the way things shake out.

Moving up to the MAC or Sun Belt would probably make us one of those lower-tier teams, hooray. Pac-12/Big-12 fodder in the OOC, less home games, long travel once in-conference, no real rivals, no playoffs, losing record, probably big financial losses, half full stadium. Sounds enticing... :|

To give some credit to UNCU, Col-Pueblo was the #1 ranked DIV II team for most of last season. I have always felt the top DII schools can play with anybody in our conference.

BWahlberg said:
Mr. Greenjeans said:
EverettGriz said:

The bottom of every conference sucks, even the SEC - there's always got to be some crappy teams in a conference, it's just the way things shake out.

Moving up to the MAC or Sun Belt would probably make us one of those lower-tier teams, hooray. Pac-12/Big-12 fodder in the OOC, less home games, long travel once in-conference, no real rivals, no playoffs, losing record, probably big financial losses, half full stadium. Sounds enticing... :|

Good post, agree with you. Has the Sports Network been predicting 5 Big Sky teams in the playoffs?

MSU / EWU / UM / NAU / CPSLO as of now I believe. However both CPSLO and MSU are going forward with question marks at QB.

rollo_tumasi said:
To give some credit to UNCU, Col-Pueblo was the #1 ranked DIV II team for most of last season. I have always felt the top DII schools can play with anybody in our conference.

With Kem's thinking on UNC (and ignoring the quality of Pueblo), I suppose that means the UM sucked the year the No Dak St beat us in Griz stadium when they were still D-II.

The Big Sky looks very strong this year. Don't know what's up with Sac St. I thought they would be pretty good. Weber won a decent first game, but they were not expected to be good. No qb, not enough talent, and best receiver brought leg several weeks ago. We'll see how UNC and Idaho St turn out. Idaho St certainly is putting up some big offense. UND played SoDak St pretty well. EWU, MSU, and look fairly strong. Cal Poly. NAU. PSU too? So Utah? Don't know on Davis.

Mr. Greenjeans said:
We know you trumpet moving up and that's ok.
Not even implied. A dead horse; UM has nowhere to go anymore, but that doesn't justify painting the BSC something it's not. This just a simple presentation of results that are a reality check to those who overclaim the strength of the BSC. But it's comical to see how the status quo group exposes their defensiveness by extending this to "moving up."

PlayerRep said:
Good post, agree with you. Has the Sports Network been predicting 5 Big Sky teams in the playoffs?
Let's hear more about the powerhouse Monmouth has become.

rollo_tumasi said:
That's what I was telling people, but they never learn :lol:

Brock Landers said:
rollo_tumasi said:
That's what I was telling people, but they never learn :lol:

Well we are seeing the top FCS teams are sticking with most FBS teams as well, EWU and NDSU as a great example in week 1 and while SMU and Cal aren't top-tier FBS schools MSU and PSU were just about as equal with those two schools this last week as well.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
Let's hear more about the powerhouse Monmouth has become.

No one said they were a powerhouse. Up and coming, and they are. They'll win over half their games. They could play with or beat the bottom of the Big Sky.

The Big Sky has 5 teams in the top 25, 4 in the top 14, the nos. 2 and 3 teams, and a 6th team just out of the top 25--and Kem things the Big Sky is weak. Pretty funny.

IMO the Big Sky is the strongest it's ever been and getting stronger
each year. Southern Utah will be in the top 25 before October and I think
that makes 6 teams from the BSC. Whether we are the strongest in the
nation is debatable but we're better now than even 3-4 years ago.It seems
the "Sky" :lol: is the limit.

catdaddy7 said:
IMO the Big Sky is the strongest it's ever been and getting stronger
each year. Southern Utah will be in the top 25 before October and I think
that makes 6 teams from the BSC. Whether we are the strongest in the
nation is debatable but we're better now than even 3-4 years ago.It seems
the "Sky" :lol: is the limit.

You're smarter than you look.