• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bracketology 3-5-13

Grizzly Oredigger

ESPN:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
15 Griz & 2 Michigan

Fox Sports/Yardbarker:
http://www.yardbarker.com/college_basketball/articles/msn/ncaa_tournament_bracket_projections_mar_5/13054975" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
15 Griz & 2 New Mexico

If UM goes dancing, they will most likely be 25-6.
If WSU goes dancing, they will most likely be 27-5, with a 14 game winning streak.

Either of those records has got to be good enough for at least a 14 seed.

As things sit right now, the Griz's RPI is ahead of 10 other conference leading team's RPI(teams who's conference receive an automatic bid). That would put us right at a 15. That will certainly change before the NCAA tourney, hopefully for the better if we win out. And there are ALWAYS big upsets of higher RPI teams by lower RPI teams and that is why I feel confident we would be a 14 or 13.

weberwildcat said:
what if north dakota got in with a 17-17 record? :lol:

Stranger things have happened (or at least almost as strange). If you were around during the '83-'84 season, you may remember how Nevada limped into the tournament and shocked everybody by putting together a few great games in a row. As I recall, Montana had the lead and the ball in the championship game, only to squander it when Dannie Jones stole the ball on a Rob Hurley inbounds pass and took it in for the game-winning score.

A year ago the Examiner selected that team as one of the top ten teams in Nevada Wolfpack history. Here is their write-up:

3. 1983-84

Record: 17-14
Head coach: Sonny Allen
Starting Five: Ed Porter, Tony Sommers, Quentin Stephens, Dannie Jones, Curtis High

What is a 17-14 team doing so high in these rankings? Well, this team is ranked this high because it accomplished two things that no Wolf Pack team in history had ever accomplished before. It won a conference postseason tournament and it qualified for the NCAA Tournament. And they did it when nobody expected it to happen. It was a team without superlatives. Stephens led them in rebounding at just 7.0 a game and High led them in scoring at a mere 13.3 a game. They were just 11-13 after three consecutive losses in eight days to Weber State, Montana and Montana State. They would finish just 7-7 and in third place in the Big Sky Conference. But what happened over the final three weeks of the season, though, caught northern Nevada by surprise. The Pack caught fire, winning six games in a row. And, luckily, three of those wins were in the Big Sky tournament. They became the first Pack team in history to win a conference tournament when they stunned Idaho State at home and Weber State and Montana in Ogden, Utah. That Big Sky tourney title also earned them the school’s first NCAA Tournament appearance (the tournament included just 48 teams in 1984). The 11th -seeded Pack (there were just 12 seeds in each region) played well in its only tournament game, losing to a talented Washington Huskies team (64-54) that included Detlef Schrempf in Pullman, Wash., despite 21 points by High.

I will always remember the post-game radio interview with Mike Montgomery, who talked to Bill Schwanke about how "goddamned" frustrated he was. That must have been before the delayed broadcast!

Unwrittengriz said:
As a diehard lifelong Wolverine fan, a Griz-Michigan matchup is my worst nightmare.

...and he has the game in Auburn Hills. What a homecourt advantage for Michigan

SWeberCat02 said:
If UM goes dancing, they will most likely be 25-6.
If WSU goes dancing, they will most likely be 27-5, with a 14 game winning streak.

Either of those records has got to be good enough for at least a 14 seed.

Definitely agree. Yeah, our conference is...well... horrible. However as we've seen before the committee does reward teams that are frequently in the tournament with better seeds from crappy conferences. Like back in the 2005-2006 season when the Griz got a 12 seed. On the selection show it was mentioned that the 12 seed was likely in part due to the Griz being in the tournament the previous year.

For Weber, if they were going into the tournament with a very impressive 14 game winning streak (which included winning the Big Sky tournament on the road of course ;) ) then that would really help them with getting a better seed too. Just like the above scenario the committee does really like "hot" teams that come into the tourney with a long winning streak, and rewards them with better seeds many times.

I just hope either Weber or the Griz end up representing the Big Sky.

AllWeatherFan said:
weberwildcat said:
what if north dakota got in with a 17-17 record? :lol:

Stranger things have happened (or at least almost as strange). If you were around during the '83-'84 season, you may remember how Nevada limped into the tournament and shocked everybody by putting together a few great games in a row. As I recall, Montana had the lead and the ball in the championship game, only to squander it when Dannie Jones stole the ball on a Rob Hurley inbounds pass and took it in for the game-winning score.

I will always remember the post-game radio interview with Mike Montgomery, who talked to Bill Schwanke about how "goddamned" frustrated he was. That must have been before the delayed broadcast!

The run by the 85-86 Bobcats was more impressive. They won the tourney as a 6th seed with a 6-8 record in conference, and 14-16 overall. As a reward they were given the 16th seed to face number 1 St Johns who featured Mark Jackson and Walter Berry. They loss 83-74 but were competitive that entire game. IF the 3 point field goal existed then, there is a good chance they may have beat St Johns with the Ferch brothers shooting it from deep. Kral scored 21 with Shann putting in 8 more. Tom Domako added 20 for the Cats. That Cats team beat a Grizzlies team that was led by LarryK and Scott Zanon 82-77 in the championship BSC game.

Idaho State had one of those deals as well, where they went into the BSC tournament as a 5 or 6 seed, won it and drew UNLV in the first round. I think they lost by 45.

EverettGriz said:
Idaho State had one of those deals as well, where they went into the BSC tournament as a 5 or 6 seed, won it and drew UNLV in the first round. I think they lost by 45.

The very next year...86-87...but they werent competitive and lost 95-70 as you mention.

Back