• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bobcat football

Proud Griz Man

DONOR
Here is a quote from the Tribune or Chronicle:

"A homecoming crowd of 13,527 was the first game other than a Cat-Griz clash to sell out. And that's in the history of Montana State football. Right, in the HISTORY of the storied program there had never been a sellout
other than the Cat-Griz game. Until Saturday afternoon."

Can anyone explain that bit of Bobcat history? Is attendance weak and inconsistent because of coaches, losing teams, or hunting season?

That makes our WA-Griz stadium attendance even more impressive.

Go Griz!

The ANSWER IS: ==> Hunting Season. Most bobcat fans are true Montanan's and not transplanted Californians/tree huggers so we do lose about 5,000+ fans AT LEAST a weekend due to hunting in the fall. However a majority of the Cats fans would rather take a radio and listen to it on the radio/enjoy the fine Montana scenery in the fall. Its the best time of year.

Hmmm, seeing as how General Rifle Season starts on Oct. 25th, I seriously doubt that your 'true montanans' are off in the bush stalking game.

Your age and your IQ are dangerously close to each other...
:lol:

The only time that I have ever been to a kitten game (other than Griz/cat), was in '82 or '83 around that time anyway and they were playing NH or Maine somebody from New England in the Semi finals. If I remember correctly they sold that game out. If they did not then they sure do not ever deserve to host a playoff game. Oops sorry, I am assuming that they will ever be that good again.....Silly me

Since when did tree-huggers/Californians become bigger football fans than "true Montanans?" :roll:

GOOD GOD YOUR DUMB GRIZ,

General rifle season opens Oct 25 eh? Do you or any of your treehugger friends hunt birds at all? By birds I mean Duck/Geese in case you don't understand that. And you say I have a low IQ?

P.S - Check out the bird hunting season openings in Montana. You are from MT right (or transplant from California?) Or do you just like the Griz because their colors are so feminine cute to you?

I'm wondering how you even knew how to spell IQ? But I guess you did get that right.

Oh. I understand now. The reason the Cats can't sell out a 13,000 capacity "stadium" is because of bird hunting. Thanks for clearing that up. My god that's weak.

Nope, we haven't had enough consistant winning seasons for the fans to fill the stadium game after game. That is the bottom line. With all the hype this years team had, attendence has been great and the tailgates have been awesome. We still are the second it attendence, but after last weekend I can see it dropping. While the defense has played good, the offense is no where in sight. Guess the loss of Junior, Ryan and Aaron hurt us more than we were willing to admit. I still think there is potential for a good season, but it's going to be tough. Even the most ardent Kramer supporters are starting to get sick of his antics. It will be interesting to see if he is given another year or forced out or forced to make so drastic changes in his coaching staff. I for one will not give up the ship. Hey if the Cubs can do it so can the Bobcats. Good luck until November.

GO CATS!!

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Montana and the Cats will be the only two teams in the conference that average over 10,000 this year.

I seem to remember the Griz not selling out some of their playoff games in the past few years. Now, I know there were still a bunch of people there, but don't get on us for not selling out playoff games. You also have to remember that Bozeman has grown by probably 10-15,000 people since then, not to mention Belgrade getting much bigger, and it is pretty much the same thing. Any playoff game that we had would easily sell out of 15,000+ tickets... that is, if we could ever get a home playoff game. Certainly not going to happen this year (thanks, Kramer!). :oops:

Keep in mind you only get five days to sell tickets for each playoff game. MSU homecoming tickets were on sale for over two months, and it wasn't a sell-out until the week of the game. On top of that, Thanksgiving weekend kills attendence. What really makes you think that MSU would be different than any teams hosting playoff games now? Playoff attendence isn't as good as regular season attendence anywhere.

Wildkitty...Your logic is perfect and adequately addresses the question posed. Watching and cheering on your team is not a priority.
By the way, a true Montanan would have his limit of birds and still make it before kick-off.

Wildcat, you may want to check your roster and facts. Far more Californians are on the Kitties roster, in fact, there are more Californians than any other state playing for the kitties, including Montanans. Homecoming wasn't in Bozo but actually at Cal Poly.

Actually according to the roster on the MSU web-site 29 players are from California and 32 are from Montana.

BozoneCat said:
I seem to remember the Griz not selling out some of their playoff games in the past few years. Now, I know there were still a bunch of people there, but don't get on us for not selling out playoff games. You also have to remember that Bozeman has grown by probably 10-15,000 people since then, not to mention Belgrade getting much bigger, and it is pretty much the same thing. Any playoff game that we had would easily sell out of 15,000+ tickets... that is, if we could ever get a home playoff game. Certainly not going to happen this year (thanks, Kramer!). :oops:

BozoneCat and CanyonCat, I can respect your opinions. Your compadre' Smedley B has a more bitter view:

http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/ncaa/request.dll?MESSAGE&room=col_147&id=12539

WILDCAT said:
GOOD GOD YOUR DUMB GRIZ,

General rifle season opens Oct 25 eh? Do you or any of your treehugger friends hunt birds at all? By birds I mean Duck/Geese in case you don't understand that. And you say I have a low IQ?

P.S - Check out the bird hunting season openings in Montana. You are from MT right (or transplant from California?) Or do you just like the Griz because their colors are so feminine cute to you?

I'm wondering how you even knew how to spell IQ? But I guess you did get that right.

Oh that's right WildCat.... no native Montanans in Missoula. Most are from California. Hmmm. Stupid statement from a stupid person. I'd say that less than 1% of Missoula's population is from California.

Here's something for you dumb ass to ponder. Missoula and Bozeman are within a few hundred of each other in enrollment, but Missoula's student population doesn't dip like Bozeman's in the summer. Why is that.

Oh yeah, the Flathead and Gallitan Counties have the largest out of state/part time residents in the state, so don't give me your true Montanan BS. God your gay. Maybe you should move to Missoula since you like to fit everything into nice little stereotypes.

WILDCAT said:
GOOD GOD YOUR DUMB GRIZ,

Who the F#@k hunts birds with a rifle? Maybe a .22 for partridge. We use shotguns for the most part in Montana during bird season... not rifles. Then again, if you were a "true Montanan" you would know that. And GGG is right. Rifle season opens up on the 25th. Rifles for big game. Shotguns for Upland game/Waterfowl. Unless you toss in a slug, then you can big game it. But why?

Have a nice game WildCat. I truely hope the cats win, but I think NAU will add another L to the cats' totall. Of course there are so many true Montanans out hunting (about 5000 according to you) from Bozeman that NAU will have a bigger crowd. I think Missoula has just as many avid hunters. They can just do it on Sunday. Bozeman just choses to go on Saturday. I can't blame you. Nobody likes a 17 year losing streak/.500 streak/one game over .500 streak. Oh okay, last year you beat us. You guys rock! I'd trade our program for yours... NOT!

One other thing to add, I'm fairly sure that the capacity of the stadium was higher than it is now before they did the renovation (with end zone seating on both ends of the field). MSU has had over 10,000 for all 4 home games this year. Of course that's not impressive at all compared to sellout crowds of 23,000 but let's compare it to the rest of the Big Sky and 1-AA as well. When's the last time Weber, NAU, or any other non-Montana Big Sky school had a sell out? Hunting season aside, when/if MSU turns into a conference championship contender year in and year out like UM is, the fans WILL show up. Then we'll just need a rich donor to donate the $$ to enclose the south end of the stadium. Dennis Erickson must be getting paid quite well by the 49ers... :wink:

MSU01 said:
One other thing to add, I'm fairly sure that the capacity of the stadium was higher than it is now before they did the renovation (with end zone seating on both ends of the field). MSU has had over 10,000 for all 4 home games this year. Of course that's not impressive at all compared to sellout crowds of 23,000 but let's compare it to the rest of the Big Sky and 1-AA as well. When's the last time Weber, NAU, or any other non-Montana Big Sky school had a sell out? Hunting season aside, when/if MSU turns into a conference championship contender year in and year out like UM is, the fans WILL show up. Then we'll just need a rich donor to donate the $$ to enclose the south end of the stadium. Dennis Erickson must be getting paid quite well by the 49ers... :wink:

Great win today for the Cats. Looks like the Big Sky race is heating up.

Back