• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bobcat Coach in jail

grzz

DONOR
I just heard briefly on the news that the Bobcats associate head coach, something O'brien or something like that, is in jail on drug a drug charge and more charges could be comming. He is suspended with pay from the team. I will start a new post to get any info any of you may have on this.
This sounds like a bad deal. I just caught the end of the story on the news so if anyone could look into this or hear the story as well, fill me in. I feel sorry for him.

Darn those Cats - always one upping us lately - we get two players cited and released - they get a coach put in jail - when will the one-upmanship end??

Kidding of course - hope it's nothing major - off field distractions suck

On Keci news it said he was arrested for possesion of Meth. It was one of the assistant coaches.

Well, Damnmit the cats have finally found something they can beat the Griz in on a regualr basis. The Griz may have a great stadium, great fans, a all around great program but you must admit that only the cats have there own personal meth dealer. Wow, what is next for them maybe a crack house outside the stadium.

This was on Yahoo Sports tonight...very, very sad.

Montana State assistant arrested on suspicion of selling meth

September 13, 2003
BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP) -- Montana State assistant head football coach Joe O'Brien was arrested Friday on methamphetamine charges, authorities said.

The school suspended him with pay.

O'Brien, 30, was jailed in Broadwater County on one count of possessing methamphetamine and one count of possessing methamphetamine with intent to distribute, both felonies, Detective Matt Collar of the Missouri River Drug Task Force told the Bozeman Daily Chronicle.

Calls from The Associated Press to the county district attorney Friday night were not returned.

``We will be suspending Joe O'Brien with pay pending the results of a further investigation,'' Cathy Conover, director of university relations, said in a statement released hours after O'Brien's arrest.

She said that is in line with school policy for all employees charged with a felony, and added the school would launch an internal investigation if necessary.

Neither head football coach Mike Kramer nor athletic director Peter Fields were available to comment on the arrest Friday.

Bail has not been set in the case, and O'Brien may remain in jail through the weekend until a judge is available.

Collar said O'Brien ``was arrested during a controlled delivery of methamphetamine.''

The amount of meth O'Brien had and other circumstances surrounding the arrest were unavailable.

Montana State's football team has the weekend off.

O'Brien was promoted to assistant head football coach this year, after three successful seasons as a defensive line coach.

O'Brien was an All-America defensive lineman at Boise State in 1994 when he was voted the Big Sky Conference defensive player of the year.

Last year, Montana State removed redshirt freshman running back Shem Hardnette from the football team after he was arrested in September on a felony possession of marijuana charge.

Updated on Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 12:32 am EDT

The news made it sound like he was "delivering it", i.e. a sale. That is bad news.

Plenty of jokes here, but it is no laughing matter.

I'm sorry, but anyone who would even crack a smile at something like this is a sad, sorry person. We're talking two felonies, serious drugs here. Coach O'Brien is a man who has/had a very promising future, not to mention he has a little daughter. I don't know how people get involved in crap like this, but if he is proven guilty, he deserves everything he gets.

Instead of snickering, perhaps you could say a prayer for him and the people that have bought drugs from him (allegedly).

BozoneCat said:
I'm sorry, but anyone who would even crack a smile at something like this is a sad, sorry person. We're talking two felonies, serious drugs here. Coach O'Brien is a man who has/had a very promising future, not to mention he has a little daughter. I don't know how people get involved in crap like this, but if he is proven guilty, he deserves everything he gets.

Instead of snickering, perhaps you could say a prayer for him and the people that have bought drugs from him (allegedly).

Maybe he should of thought of that little daughter and his promising future alittle bit earlier. But I doubt he will see any jail time. I see on a weekly basis people being caught for the same thing and very few of them spend any time in jail or prison.

And even if he does not get charged or found guilty, people are always going to remember this. It will follow him around wherver he goes. That is too bad.

Maybe he should of thought of that little daughter and his promising future alittle bit earlier.

I hope that wasn't a smart-ass remark at me, polson. I feel the exact same way, that he should have thought of his daughter and his career before doing something so completely stupid. I guess that is what drugs do to people, it really is sad. And you are right, for some crazy reason it seems our criminal justice system doesn't like to punish drug pushers with jail time, so if he even gets any jail time, it probably won't be much. Grzz is right also, this arrest will haunt him for a long, long time even if he is found to be innocent. A charge like this is akin to a rape charge in that regard.

My whole point here, people, is not to try and get any sympathy for the man, but to point out that this is a really sad situation which should not be laughed at. Obviously, Coach O'Brien needs some help, and I just think that perhaps saying a prayer for all the people he has impacted with his actions is a little more constructive than laughing about it and taking pleasure in something that should amuse no one.

How wrong you are PolsonGrizz. As the MSU coach will be under Federal indictment he will be tried in Federal court. If he is found or pleads guilty he will face a MANDATORY minimum of 5 years in Federal Prison. Depending on the monetary amount of the drugs in question, whether or not there was an ongoing conspiracy to distribute, if firearms were somehow involved, or the alleged sale was close to a school then the sentence could climb to 40 years. Incidently there is no parole from Federal Prison. The only reduction in a Federal sentence can come from good time which amounts to just a few days per year. There is one exception to the mandatory prison time. If the suspect pleads guilty, has absolutely no past criminal record (sometimes DUI's or even hunting violations can count), and he cooperates fully in the investigation (i.e. sings like a bird) then he may get away with probation. This exception is granted in less than 5% of these cases. Believe me NO ONE "walks" on these types of charges!!! Tiz a sad day for MSU and Montana football.

Whether or not he goes to prison this is a terribly sad story. It is also an embrassment for the entire state of Montana because he works for the state even if he is on the wrong side of the Griz-Cat war. As for his carrer as a coach it is over whether or not he is found guilty. No one will want to send there kid to play for a guy with this type allgation in his background.

BozoneCat said:

I too, don't know how he got involved in things like this.
I don't know why Kramer can't seem to ever hire anyone with any amount of character.
Those are not my problems.
Continuing on my sad sorry life with a smile cracked on my face is my problem, and you'll be happy to hear it is a problem that I defeat daily.

I'm sorry if my finding humor in the misfortune of others offends you. I also find humor in your taking offense to me....given that I know I have done nothing wrong, and your righteous indignation as a 'Cat fan would be better spent elsewhere right now.

So I should pray for him rather than snicker?

Its a nice idea, but I think I shall snicker. I'm not worried about what helps him, so much, and I don't believe much of anything I do will help him or hurt him, anyways. He seems to have been in control of his own destiny in those regards.

So whose fault was it? I'm pretty sure it was the coach's. People like to play the card of him as the victim, but I'm don't buy it. I wonder how many seconds if would take for HORNET and his pals would be over here if this happened to one of our coaches.

Isn't this the same coach that got in trouble for domestic abuse. Correct me if I'm wrong here. But I don't think I am.

Back