• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bill Foley article

Rats of Butte

Just another opinion on how biased the Missoulian was during the trial.

http://buttesports.com/the-curious-case-of-jordan-johnson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kudos to Bill Foley for calling out a colleague in his profession for obvious bias. I, too, am a graduate of the UM School of Journalism. I, too, believe strongly that the Missoulian and its reporter crossed the line. Unfortunately, this type of bias is all to prevalent in the national broadcast media and has apparently trickled down to the local newspaper in Missoula. I know this...the instructors I learned from would roll over in their graves at the state of the media in America. Where has objectivity gone? This may not be the only reason for the problem but years ago publishers were former news editors and today the publisher is often the former advertising director. Money drives everything. Cast your vote with your pocketbook and don't advertise in or buy their product.

Good column. I agree with everything except this:

"The Missoula County Attorney’s office should be ashamed and embarrassed of its actions in this case. It was an obvious case of trying to make up previous dereliction of duty."

I don't think there was a "previous dereliction of duty." I think the problem was that the prosecutor didn't treat this like previous cases. If he had, he would have evaluated it based on the facts before him, and decided not to prosecute. Instead, he bowed to public and political pressure and filed charges.

To be fair, he was in a hell of a position. There were no good options for him. But losing a high-profile case certainly won't improve his position.

This is one important message. Thanks for your thoughts. Your clarification of the point is sure worth noting.

AllWeatherFan said:
Good column. I agree with everything except this:

"The Missoula County Attorney’s office should be ashamed and embarrassed of its actions in this case. It was an obvious case of trying to make up previous dereliction of duty."

I don't think there was a "previous dereliction of duty." I think the problem was that the prosecutor didn't treat this like previous cases. If he had, he would have evaluated it based on the facts before him, and decided not to prosecute. Instead, he bowed to public and political pressure and filed charges.

To be fair, he was in a hell of a position. There were no good options for him. But losing a high-profile case certainly won't improve his position.

grizbrokebacker1 said:
Florio clearly was biased but Foley is far from objective.

What?!?! Foley isn't objective?

Maybe this will change your mind :roll:

http://mtstandard.com/sports/high-school/article_46a5420d-0588-558f-9281-06bb57a53e3f.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grizbrokebacker1 said:

Ahhh, there's a MAJOR difference: Foley writes an editorial column. Florio is supposed to write news.

And FWIW, he's dead-on balls accurate with this one.

wbtfg said:
grizbrokebacker1 said:

http://mtstandard.com/sports/high-school/article_46a5420d-0588-558f-9281-06bb57a53e3f.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That article is 100 times more level-headed than anything Florio has written, ever!

The truth...glad someone is willing to say it boldly. Whether it is dereliction of duty or appearance of dereliction, one of them is correct.

..and Lee Newspapers owns both the Missoulian and the Standard.. Good for Foles. My only concern was his last sentence. That could sway a reader one way or another. Good for justice or good so he can win football games.

For what it's worth Foley wrote an opinion column and doesn't have to be neutral or objective. That's the job of a news reporter, or at least should be.

grizbrokebacker1 said:

His is clearly an opinion column, Einstein. Florio was supposed to be a reporter telling the facts.

wbtfg said:
grizbrokebacker1 said:

That column must've really stung if you're still citing it 10 years later :lol:

I thought the column was the best take on the entire affair that I have read. I don't see where the coloring comes in for one person's opinion, even if it is a column, it expresses in crystal clear language the heart and truth of the whole episode. It was the most agenda driven case I have ever seen, and the reality check has to be a single unanimous jury vote for acquittal after less than two hours of deliberations following three weeks of testimony. If that doesn't say "much adieu about nothing" then I don't know if anything does.

cclarkblues said:
grizbrokebacker1 said:

His is clearly an opinion column, Einstein. Florio was supposed to be a reporter telling the facts.

I'm not referring solely to this "opinion" piece Einstein. I said "Foley is far from objective". Do I need to be more specific? :roll:

Gotta love this gem from the comments:

"Gimme a break
March 13, 2013 at 11:07 am
The only people who saw bias in the Missoulian’s coverage of the JJ case, were griz football fans. Show me a non-griz fan who thinks the paper was biased in some way, and I’ll show you a person who’s lying about not being a griz fan – starting with Foley."

mlbowl said:
Gotta love this gem from the comments:

"Gimme a break
March 13, 2013 at 11:07 am
The only people who saw bias in the Missoulian’s coverage of the JJ case, were griz football fans. Show me a non-griz fan who thinks the paper was biased in some way, and I’ll show you a person who’s lying about not being a griz fan – starting with Foley."
So by the transitive property, if you don't agree with the Missoulian, you're either a Griz fan or a liar. Makes being a Griz fan seem better and better, doesn't it?

Back