• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Back to Football

JSWNBBY

I was in Bozo yesterday and I am telling you it felt like Missoula in the late 90's and early 00's. Everyone was wearing Blue and Gold and talking football and the Cats (I frankly couldn't take it and sped out of town like thief in the night). On a community level they are doing it right, and it is somehting I am frankly afraid that Missoula seemed to lack last year by the end of the year, and perhaps this year too with the trial, media and negative publicity. What is the level of excitment is Zoo town for football and the University? Is there a level of excitment within the community this year for all things UM - or is the community tired?

And I am not getting anything done thinking about the game, and hoping that JJ comes out and completes his mission to show how much courage and determination it takes to survive what he has, and to take back what so many wanted to take away from him, and the University.

JSWNBBY said:
I was in Bozo yesterday and I am telling you it felt like Missoula in the late 90's and early 00's. Everyone was wearing Blue and Gold and talking football and the Cats (I frankly couldn't take it and sped out of town like thief in the night). On a community level they are doing it right, and it is somehting I am frankly afraid that Missoula seemed to lack last year by the end of the year, and perhaps this year too with the trial, media and negative publicity. What is the level of excitment is Zoo town for football and the University? Is there a level of excitment within the community this year for all things UM - or is the community tired?

And I am not getting anything done thinking about the game, and hoping that JJ comes out and completes his mission to show how much courage and determination it takes to survive what he has, and to take back what so many wanted to take away from him, and the University.
I guarantee you that Missoula tomorrow will dwarf anything they've ever done over in Bozeman two times over.

Sorry little brother. :coffee:

It's good that the community has turned it around for them. While I was going to college there other than the bars and places close to campus no one seemed to give a cat about them.

JSWNBBY said:

It kills me to say this, but you are correct on some levels. I, unfortunately, spend a ton of time in Bozo. I am also tight with allot of people close to that program (as much as I hate that phrase).

Bozeman is gaining some serious momentum, and your comment that it feels like Missoula in the late 90’s/early 00’s is dead-on.

Our fan base has become bored and complacent. The athletic department is literally begging people to get into the stands early for the new pre-game. Won’t happen. They are begging people for a “maroon out”. Won’t happen. People will casually saunter into the stadium right before/after kickoff, and the stadium will be half empty for most of the third quarter. Griz football has become a glorified social event.

We’ve taken a step back, and those other guys have taken a huge step forward. Fact.

Raider said:
JSWNBBY said:

It kills me to say this, but you are correct on some levels. I, unfortunately, spend a ton of time in Bozo. I am also tight with allot of people close to that program (as much as I hate that phrase).

Bozeman is gaining some serious momentum, and your comment that it feels like Missoula in the late 90’s/early 00’s is dead-on.

Our fan base has become bored and complacent. The athletic department is literally begging people to get into the stands early for the new pre-game. Won’t happen. They are begging people for a “maroon out”. Won’t happen. People will casually saunter into the stadium right before/after kickoff, and the stadium will be half empty for most of the third quarter. Griz football has become a glorified social event.

We’ve taken a step back, and those other guys have taken a huge step forward. Fact.
Hopefully with the quality of tomorrows competition the stadium will stay full all game. The energy here this year feels a lot different than the past couple of years...a lot better.

According to some MSU fans, the energy at the game yesterday was somewhat lackluster. I can understand how that would be the case when you're playing an overmatched team. Thank God we're playing App State for our opener! The energy will be insane tomorrow, especially for how long we've been waiting to start kicking some a$$ again!

Fahque said:
Raider said:
JSWNBBY said:

Hopefully with the quality of tomorrows competition the stadium will stay full all game. The energy here this year feels a lot different than the past couple of years...a lot better.

Ya know, I thought that might be the case, but I am not so sure. I am dumbfounded at the attitude of some people I have talked to recently.

Ex. I have a guy in my office, season ticket holder, who is not going because it’s the “last weekend of summer” and they want to get out and do something fun. I had breakfast with a client of mine this morning, again season ticket holder, who asked me if I wanted his tickets because he and his wife are going to the lake. I could go on and on with examples, but it seems ho-hum, another Labor Day weekend opener to me.

Not to stereotype everyone, but for the most part our fan base has taken this program for granted. The Griz are at a bit of a cross-roads right now, and the game tomorrow has more significance than most people realize. They need 25,000+ crazies standing, screaming for four quarters. My guess is that it will be business as usual for Griz Nation.

Highway 200 from Gt Falls to Missoula will be flowing with Griz Fans. Griz Nation is alive and well. :thumb: The football team will show up-so will the fans. Gonna be wild.

Raider said:
JSWNBBY said:

Jesus Debbie Downer, just eat a bullet already and spare the rest of us your misery. :roll:

Despite playing an overmatched opponent, the Cats looked good. Great execution, few mental mistakes. They're going to have a good year, despite Alpha's prediction, and the fan base gave them a sold out stadium. Ash has been a great hire for MSU. That's just the way it is.

cody45051 said:
Despite playing an overmatched opponent, the Cats looked good. Great execution, few mental mistakes. They're going to have a good year, despite Alpha's prediction, and the fan base gave them a sold out stadium. Ash has been a great hire for MSU. That's just the way it is.

If people think our fans are just there to socialize/party, the problem pales in comparison to all the bandwagoners in Bozo.

The crowd was into it very early. Nearly everyone was in their seats before kick-off. It didn't seem quite as loud, but then again, it didn't need to be.

The second half, however, was dismal. The stadium never filled back up. Many sections were half empty. It was disappointing, really.

:whocares: ALRIGHT ALREADY the cats won a game and looked good doing it.....DO I HAVE TO REMIND ALL YOU GRIZ FANS WE HAVE A EFFIN GAME TOMORROW? GO TO bcn AND DISCUSS THE STINKING bobcats. GOOD GOD!

Back