• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

B-ball attendence

p mo grizz

What is up with the pathetic attendence at games, what else do people have to do than go to the game. the thing that gets me is the season ticket holders why would you not go to a game, if your not going to go, sell your season tickets. And why students aren't going is beyond me, I am a student at um and me and my friends go to every home game, I don't know what else there is to for a student, it's free. I just remember the days of the early 90's where they sold out everygame. don't tell me they can't afford what is it 3 dollars for a general admission ticket. If the griz get hot and consitently win there is no excuse for people not to come, hopefully they start winning.

I think the fact that there was an afternoon GRIZ football playoff game contributed to the low attendance Saturday night. The fact that the football team lost sure didn't help. I don't think Sunday BB games are a good idea either. The GRIZ BB team has never drawn well on Sundays. I vastly prefer the Fri Night/ Sat night format. I think people associate those 2 days much more with college sports than Sunday. I was at both games and love watching this team! I'm sure attendance will pick up as word spreads regarding the success and exciting nature of the BB team.

I think the fact that the football team lost had a big effect on the attendance. Plus the fact that it was thanksgiving break didn't help at all. I don't really see a problem with Sunday games...there are conferences that play all their conference games on Friday and Sunday instead of Thurs and Saturday (like the Pac-10).

grizgirl317 said:
I think the fact that the football team lost had a big effect on the attendance. Plus the fact that it was thanksgiving break didn't help at all. I don't really see a problem with Sunday games...there are conferences that play all their conference games on Friday and Sunday instead of Thurs and Saturday (like the Pac-10).

Considering that the attendance for Basketballs games on sunday are historically smaller than most days, it tells me that many people do see problems with sunday games.

I personally do not see Sunday evening games as a problem, but many games in the past were scheduled for Sunday afternoon. If skiing is good, that will be a basketball game that could be missed. Same goes for saturday afternoon games. But skiing isn't that good yet, so I will be at the game this saturday afternoon against San Francisco.

And speaking of the San Francisco game, Griz basketball team can look at the Football team's loss last saturday in a more positive light. Competing for fans that will prefer to watch the Griz football team would have made for a lightly attended game this weekend afternoon. But, since football team lost, those fans have no choice but to go watch the Griz basketball team. So they better be there.

I don't think they have any sunday afternoon games this season. They have an afternoon game this Saturday because they're doing a double-header of sorts with the lady griz. The lady griz play San Francisco at 7:35 on Saturday night

Just curious who else on E-Griz will be going to the game Saturday afternoon? I'll be there with my kid.

Grizwhiz and son of Grizwhiz are season ticket holders and will be on hand. Hopefully there will be a larger crowd than we have seen so far this year. The GRIZ are exciting to watch and have a heckuva challenging schedule. I do think evening games draw better than afternoon games. I hope I am proven wrong.

I'll be there along with my buddy!!

I'll be on the floor wearing Jersey # 20

If ya have time, say hi and I just might take your picture and put it on egriz.com

We need to get more support for basketball!!!! GO GRIZ!!!

I think I need to photograph another game. Brent and I were joking that I'm good luck because they've won all three games I photographed and lost the only one at home that I didn't. Which is kinda funny because last year they lost every game I photographed and some of the guys were joking that I should be banned from photographing because I was a jinx.

BTW if anyone saw the Kaimin last week both of the basketball pics were mine.

Just finished a visit to Auburns athletics website and noticed with a 6-0 record and a member of the SEC they are averaging 4,913 home attendence.

The Griz with a 3-3 record are averaging 3,098 home attendence.

If we lived in Grizville instead of Billings, we would be at every home game. Enjoy your availability to the Griz. Billings doesn't even carry Griz basketball on the radio. Pathetic isn't it.

That's why I very much enjoy the personal analysis you folks give me via e-griz.com. I thank you!

They are not on the radio here in Billings. I have tried to get the games myself. You can however get them on the internet at www.mtgriz.com

p mo grizz said:
What is up with the pathetic attendence at games, what else do people have to do than go to the game.

I remember the Adam's Center used to be a full house back in the days of Spojia and earlier than that. Hell it was a full house back in 95 and 96.

Phewy, fieldhouse held 9,000 then, and average was 6,000 to 6,500 fans a game then. I noticed empty seats in the student section in mid '90s. The last season before the remodel was under 5,000 fans a game.

Attendance had been dropping every year since early '90s. Early '90s it was around 7,000, and 1997-98 season it was around 5,000 fans a game. Maybe closer to 4,800.

Interest in the basketball program has been waining for quite sometime.

But it really has been a long time I watched Griz basketball play with as much intensity as the current team, plus the strength of schedule makes the games more exciting. Not sure if this will translate into higher attendance, but at least more exciting to watch.

Last year our average attendance was about 4200 per game. But only 4 games were larger than that...Northern Iowa (they gave out free tickets to faculty and staff), Gonzaga, Sac St. (Monte Night...near full house) and Montana St. So far this season, we're averaging 3098 fans per game with the lowest attendance being the tourney championship. Weber St. is averaging about 5000 a game and MSU is just below us. There are I think 3 teams averaging less than 1000 fans a game, maybe 4...I don't have my data with me. I wrote an article on this issue for one of my classes...I'd post it here but its too long.

Latest posts

Back