• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Athlon College Football FCS Top 25

Montanan

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?132774-Athlon-College-Football-FCS-Top-25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. North Dakota State (14-1
2. Montana State (11-2)
3. Georgia Southern (10-4)
4. Sam Houston State (11-4)
5. Villanova (8-4)
6. Appalachian State (8-4)
7. Eastern Washington (11-3)
8. Towson (7-4)
9. Montana (5-6)
10. South Dakota State (9-4)
11. New Hampshire (8-4)
12. Richmond (8-3)
13. Central Arkansas (9-3)
14. Northern Iowa (5-6)
15. Cal Poly (9-3)
16. Northern Arizona (8-3)
17. James Madison (7-4)
18. Chattanooga (6-5)
19. Wofford (9-4)
20. Eastern Illinois (7-5)
21. Tennessee State (8-3)
22. Delaware (5-6)
23. Youngstown State (7-4)
24. Illinois State (9-4)
25. The Citadel (7-4)

This years Griz will be special, regardless of where we are slated to start

Only lackluster coaching will slow our ascent into consistent top ten rankings

A lot of love? That's full on petrified wood, considering the only other 5-6 teams are No. 14 and No. 22.

JJ's back. Some people recognize the fact that our biggest problem last year was very poor QB play.

It's a 2013 poll. Not a 2012 poll. It measures the talent on this year's team. I'd say it's pretty accurate. Low, actually.

cody45051 said:
Hammer said:
JJ's back. Some people recognize the fact that our biggest problem last year was very poor QB play.

And a d-backfield that had more leaks than the Iraqi Navy.

and despite that leaky defensive backfield the Griz were in every game they played and a QB away from winning all of them. Those kids all have a season under their belts now and will be improved. Couple that with the best D Line and LB corps in the conference, and a QB who will win the close games. #9 may be too low and the Griz will spank your kitties in bozo.........Again! :lol:

Hammer said:
cody45051 said:
Hammer said:

and despite that leaky defensive backfield the Griz were in every game they played and a QB away from winning all of them. Those kids all have a season under their belts now and will be improved. Couple that with the best D Line and LB corps in the conference, and a QB who will win the close games. #9 may be too low and the Griz will spank your kitties in bozo.........Again! :lol:

I agree. What many do not understand, is that in FCS football, very few teams have the depth to go two-deep at every position, like the FBS schools do. As the season progresses and injuries decimate every team, Montana loses very little playing their bench players. The Bobcats do not have our depth, and it shows as the season wears on. The exception, of course, was at the QB position last season. I was not a fan of Nate Montana, but we would have won at least two, and many more games last season if he had not transferred. We are well-stocked depth-wise at most every other position.

Hammer said:
cody45051 said:
Hammer said:

We've always had more "talent" than anyone we play, so we think, and we lionize average players into Payton Award winners... if that's the case, I can't figure out why we have to rely on gimmicks like we have the past three years to win (or lose). Hopefully Gragg will get back to FUBAR-ing the opponent, insteal of trying to fool them every play. :?

Grizmayor said:
Hammer said:
cody45051 said:
Hammer said:

We've always had more "talent" than anyone we play, so we think, and we lionize average players into Payton Award winners... if that's the case, I can't figure out why we have to rely on gimmicks like we have the past three years to win (or lose). Hopefully Gragg will get back to FUBAR-ing the opponent, insteal of trying to fool them every play. :?

UM often plays teams with more talent. I doubt that UM has had the best talent, even in the conference, for years, or certainly not for most years. UM develops its quality and depth after the recruits arrive in Missoula, with hard work, lifting, installation of a winning attitude/tradition, and good coaching. The generally strong group of Montana kids and walk-ons help consididerably with the quality of the team.

PlayerRep said:
Grizmayor said:
Hammer said:
cody45051 said:

UM often plays teams with more talent. I doubt that UM has had the best talent, even in the conference, for years, or certainly not for most years. UM develops its quality and depth after the recruits arrive in Missoula, with hard work, lifting, installation of a winning attitude/tradition, and good coaching. The generally strong group of Montana kids and walk-ons help consididerably with the quality of the team.

I totally disagree. There is no way that other Big Sky teams can recruit with Montana every year, with the huge advantages we have with stadium, following, playoff records, TV exposure, number of players in the NFL, etc. You seem to be saying that our coaches are so much superior that we are able to mold great players out of average players. I don't buy it. UM consistently has the best overall talent in the league, as well as in the nation at our level. The number of players playing in the NFL and CFL versus other teams should give you a clue.

brian s said:
PlayerRep said:
Grizmayor said:
Hammer said:

I totally disagree. There is no way that other Big Sky teams can recruit with Montana every year, with the huge advantages we have with stadium, following, playoff records, TV exposure, number of players in the NFL, etc. You seem to be saying that our coaches are so much superior that we are able to mold great players out of average players. I don't buy it. UM consistently has the best overall talent in the league, as well as in the nation at our level. The number of players playing in the NFL and CFL versus other teams should give you a clue.

The question/topic is whether UM had better talent than all of the teams it plays. No one said UM has "average" players. Again, UM has not consistently had the best overall talent in the league. My information comes directly coaches.

Take even the last 3 years and tell us why you believe UM had the best talent of all the teams it played. For example, did UM have more talent than App St, EWU and MSU last year? How about NAU?

Linebackers, yes. qb, secondary, rb, receiver-no. O-line and d-line-close but various other schools would disagree and debate these. Speed-no. Skill players-no. kicker-no. Punter-close but there were better ones last year.

brian s said:
Hammer said:
cody45051 said:
Hammer said:

I agree. What many do not understand, is that in FCS football, very few teams have the depth to go two-deep at every position, like the FBS schools do. As the season progresses and injuries decimate every team, Montana loses very little playing their bench players. The Bobcats do not have our depth, and it shows as the season wears on. The exception, of course, was at the QB position last season. I was not a fan of Nate Montana, but we would have won at least two, and many more games last season if he had not transferred. We are well-stocked depth-wise at most every other position.

Good analysis, but you still have your head up your ass (or in the sand) to a certain degree, the 2012 version of the fizz was the first time in several years that I noticed a deficiency in depth, It was apparent not only at the QB position, but at RB, WR and in the secondary, I would also say that while you had a decent first level at LB, but you didn't have much behind them. I suspected that might happen when I noticed Pflu's recruiting strategies in his first year, the 2012 5-6 season was impacted more by that than by the loss of JJ, and the 2013 team will still be affected by depth deficiencies.

Also conversely I MSU is now able to field much better depth than they have in several years, remember that when Ash first arrived he MSU was down several scholarships due to APR, that and good recruiting have made a difference in depth.

The reason why FBS has much more depth than FCS is about 22 scholarships, that means one more scholarship player at each position.

Cats2506 said:
brian s said:
Hammer said:
cody45051 said:

Good analysis, but you still have your head up your ass (or in the sand) to a certain degree, the 2012 version of the fizz was the first time in several years that I noticed a deficiency in depth, It was apparent not only at the QB position, but at RB, WR and in the secondary, I would also say that while you had a decent first level at LB, but you didn't have much behind them. I suspected that might happen when I noticed Pflu's recruiting strategies in his first year, the 2012 5-6 season was impacted more by that than by the loss of JJ, and the 2013 team will still be affected by depth deficiencies.

Also conversely I MSU is now able to field much better depth than they have in several years, remember that when Ash first arrived he MSU was down several scholarships due to APR, that and good recruiting have made a difference in depth.

The reason why FBS has much more depth than FCS is about 22 scholarships, that means one more scholarship player at each position.

Thanks for providing a dose of humor to make my day. Keep dreaming about the depth of the Bobcats, and the purported lack of it for the Griz. One of two things. You know you are wrong, or, you are simply drinking the that sickening yellow and blue Kool-Aid.

Cats2506 said:

I somewhat agree with you about certain points here, but RUNNING BACK? We were lacking depth at running back?? Dan Moore, Peter Nguyen, Jordan Canada, with Counts and Kirschner? C'mon man... :roll:

brian s said:
Cats2506 said:
brian s said:
Hammer said:

Thanks for providing a dose of humor to make my day. Keep dreaming about the depth of the Bobcats, and the purported lack of it for the Griz. One of two things. You know you are wrong, or, you are simply drinking the that sickening yellow and blue Kool-Aid.

Depth will likely be one of the strong suits for UM this year. As of spring ball, good depth at qb, rb, lb, o-line, d-line, and even in the secondary. The questions will be whether the secondary can increase quality of play, whether the young receivers can develop fast enough, and whether there are any injuries/losses in key areas. Hopefully the place-kicking gets back to form too. Having experience at qb will help with developing the receivers. No experience at qb and a bunch of younger receivers, like last year, is not a good mix.

Back