• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Athletic budgets by ranking

MrTitleist

Moderator
Staff member
Here's some numbers for you guys to chew on..
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 
Chomp, chomp! This list appears to be revenue from all athletic events, not just football. Given this is a football board, football revenues would be more helpful. Interesting, tho, that MSU takes in about $2 mil more than UM.
 
Grizzoola said:
Chomp, chomp! This list appears to be revenue from all athletic events, not just football. Given this is a football board, football revenues would be more helpful. Interesting, tho, that MSU takes in about $2 mil more than UM.
They also receive $3 million more in subsidies.
 
msu always cheats. Steals money from the state. Has many more cigar smoking lobyists than any school in Mt.

Denials will not work on egriz cause we never lie or cheat!
 
AZGrizFan said:
And why does MSU need to spend $2.3 million more than Montana?
The list is about revenues, AZ, not expenses, unless you are referring to something else.
 
krammer said:
unlv is surprising.....must be their basketball program......
Yep, & their baseball, golf, & swimming/diving etc., programs. Adam Scott, who won this year's Master's Tournament, is a UNLV product.
 
So basically you're saying we need about another $80mil/yr until we can compete with Alabama? :mrgreen:


















Kidding, of course. :wink:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
 
FWIW, MSU athletics is asking for another $2 million in general fund support, this while not seeking to add more scholarship sports as UM is currently.
Those of us who follow such things will recall that when UM was selling out a 16k seat stadium, MSU was receiving $1 million more a year in general fund support because it couldn't keep up. Now that MSU athletics has passed that bench mark, its just looking for more money, not less. One school supports athletics with general fund money. The other, UM, gags at the thought.
 
Grizzoola said:
AZGrizFan said:
And why does MSU need to spend $2.3 million more than Montana?
The list is about revenues, AZ, not expenses, unless you are referring to something else.

So, can someone PLEASE explain to me how MSU could possibly draw in MORE revenue from athletics than Montana? They average 10,000 less per football game (and tickets are much cheaper)...they average 2-3k less in basketball...and what else is there? Are they drawing 75,000 for rodeo?
 
AZGrizFan said:
Grizzoola said:
AZGrizFan said:
And why does MSU need to spend $2.3 million more than Montana?
The list is about revenues, AZ, not expenses, unless you are referring to something else.

So, can someone PLEASE explain to me how MSU could possibly draw in MORE revenue from athletics than Montana? They average 10,000 less per football game (and tickets are much cheaper)...they average 2-3k less in basketball...and what else is there? Are they drawing 75,000 for rodeo?
Well, maybe rodeo & skiing pull in more than we think. I'm sure their ski team competes w/ some pretty big schools: Colorado, for one. (I really don't know if they compete w/ CO. But, skiing may be more of a revenue source than we think.)
 
AZGrizFan said:
Grizzoola said:
AZGrizFan said:
And why does MSU need to spend $2.3 million more than Montana?
The list is about revenues, AZ, not expenses, unless you are referring to something else.

So, can someone PLEASE explain to me how MSU could possibly draw in MORE revenue from athletics than Montana? They average 10,000 less per football game (and tickets are much cheaper)...they average 2-3k less in basketball...and what else is there? Are they drawing 75,000 for rodeo?

They get 2.5 million more in contributions, 200K more in student fees and 3 million more in school funds than Montana. Montana crushes them at the gate by 3 million.
 
griz4life said:
FWIW, MSU athletics is asking for another $2 million in general fund support,

Are you talking about wanting part of the 2 million MSU was giving out to various dept's ? That was denied.

I think the portion of the stadium renovation from the school is partially or fully included in the revenue and expenses.

Both UM and MSU have just over 16 million budgeted for next year according to the BOR's athletic income details.
 
True that UM does much better with ticket sales. But it does seem as though MSU did much better with overall contributions this year (MSU about 6million, UM 3.5). That is a very significant figure as many msu alumni must be contributing or a few wealthy alum are contributing alot!
 
Grizzoola said:
krammer said:
unlv is surprising.....must be their basketball program......
Yep, & their baseball, golf, & swimming/diving etc., programs. Adam Scott, who won this year's Master's Tournament, is a UNLV product.

How about Bobby Hauck and his accomplishment at UNLV, is he also a product, or is this the year for the turnaround.
 
Back
Top