• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Appy State and G southern leaving FCS?

billings_poke

Sunbelt met today to talk expansion

Twitter starting to light up a bit

Follow

Jay Bir
‏@TheJayBir
Sources telling me that Appalachian St AND Ga Southern COULD receive #SunBelt invitations this weekend #realignment

Sam Houston also in Mix to move up to Sun belt it seems

All rumor but a lot of smoke now

CatFan22 said:
I've always had aspirations of playing in a no-name bowl in the Sun Belt.

Rate its going, soon we could be playing for a no name National Championship. Its amazing that 12-15 of the premier FCS schools all want to make the jump. Why is that? Ten years from now we could be one of the few primary state colleges not playing up a level.

There still is a possibility that a hybrid division will form below the Big 4 or 5.

pussycatkillerz said:
billings_poke said:

Does Sam Houstons stadium even qualify for FBS??

Well somehow Idaho pulled it off. And yes I know its because they played some "home" games outside the Kibbie Dome.

It will suck to see App State and GSU leave the FCS ranks. The top end of the FCS gets much more watered down with them leaving.

I was listening to sports radio here the other day and they had an older retired college coach ( sorry cant recall who) on and the coach said, in college football you have to constantly alter and adapt, if you do not you grow complacent and stagnant, your program declines and falters. He said before you know it your trying to build back up from behind.

I worry with some of the leaders at UM, what the true direction is. Even now we are comparing and looking to NDSU and there program. They have only been FCS ranks for what 10 years and we are looking up to them! This is bothersome.

RobGriz said:
CatFan22 said:
+1

Just imagine the t-shirt possibilities :roll:
+ 2

Can you imagine proudly telling friends that your school is in the mightly Sun Belt Conference?

Spanky said:
....so you think telling them UM is in the Big Sky Conference is an improvement?

Yes, I don't mind the FCS label, and I like to play for championships not mediocrity.

CatFan22 said:
I've always had aspiration of playing in an FCS devoid of any good programs in front of road crowds of 2500.

pussycatkillerz said:
billings_poke said:

Does Sam Houstons stadium even qualify for FBS??

Stadium size doesn't really matter anymore. You do need to average over 17k a home game for 4 years or average 17 for one year out of the last 4 if you have a stadium that seats more than 30k for one year out of the previous four

They're never going to enforce attendance numbers anyway. It is a very quick route to a "restraint of trade" anti-trust lawsuit. College football is a business and is bound to all the same rules. The NCAA is going to let the rules bend or simply slide just to avoid legal action.

:shock: We need to form our own western conference called the FUC. The sunbelt should be renamed the KED. Winner of each conference meet for the get f'd bowl. Not good enough to be big time, but just too good to play in the FCS. What a conundrum the NCAA has allowed to fester. Piss poor management and instead of worrying about moving up or down - teams and universities should worry about getting rid of the NCAA.

Been talking with some ASU fans of mine the past few weeks and it looks like it is a done deal. It really sucks and a lot of ASU fans are pissed about their future.

OrgonGriz said:
It will suck to see App State and GSU leave the FCS ranks. The top end of the FCS gets much more watered down with them leaving.

I was listening to sports radio here the other day and they had an older retired college coach ( sorry cant recall who) on and the coach said, in college football you have to constantly alter and adapt, if you do not you grow complacent and stagnant, your program declines and falters. He said before you know it your trying to build back up from behind.

I worry with some of the leaders at UM, what the true direction is. Even now we are comparing and looking to NDSU and there program. They have only been FCS ranks for what 10 years and we are looking up to them! This is bothersome.

Just wait 5 more years when NDSU is in the MAC. Soon we will be compared to San Angelo State & Central Washington.

The 5 top FBS conferences are isolating themselves in College Football. ACC, SEC, PAC, BIG, and BIG 12 are moving to capture most of the cash and the bowl games. Hell they already did it.

The Next five conferences will be kept around for scheduling purposes, keep Government off the top 5's backs, and with the top schools dropping FCS games they need the middle so they can have 7 -8 home games every year. These are the MWC, BE, CUSA, MAC, and Sun Belt. There is now a two tiered FBS football system established. It is done and nobody is leaving the NCAA as they pulled it off inside the NCAA structure. The are feeding just enough cash to the middle group to keep us alive. Next year Wyo will pocket about $2 million in TV money, $1.5 million from the new Playoff system based on how the $$ are shared, and another $1.5 million in Conference BB credits and other misc payments. Just enough to sorta stay competitive. Huge advantage being in the middle group for BB though.

Appy, G Southern, and others want to join the middle tier and be identified with those schools as academic peers and for the benefits of TV exposure for the university as a whole. Being on ESPN and other national TV during the season is a huge recruiting tool for the academic side of the house. Even most MAC teams get 3-4 ESPN games a year now, although on weeknights. Decisions are being made not based on who has the best post season experience but rather on what is best for the university as a whole and a lot goes into that decision other then a bowl game versus playoffs.

poiuyter said:
A move to the fbs guarantees never winning a ncaa football championship.

But it does guarantee some financial security to universities who are cutting costs. That's more important right now than football championships. If athletic depts can cover more of their costs through moving up then the University can focus money in other areas. UM is cutting jobs all over the place because grant money is shrinking, department budgets are being slashed, and otherwise. For most schools there are more important things than winning an FCS championship.

MrTitleist said:
poiuyter said:
A move to the fbs guarantees never winning a ncaa football championship.

But it does guarantee some financial security to universities who are cutting costs. That's more important right now than football championships. If athletic depts can cover more of their costs through moving up then the University can focus money in other areas. UM is cutting jobs all over the place because grant money is shrinking, department budgets are being slashed, and otherwise. For most schools there are more important things than winning an FCS championship.

:eek: :pics:

Back