• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Appy Moving On Up...And Georgia Southern...

GrizBacker04

Tommy Bowman @AppTrailWSJ
Appalachian State will accept an invitation to join the Sun Belt Conference this week, probably on Wednesday, according to a source at ASU

and

FCS Football @FCS_Football
RT @rvarner And Georgia Southern reportedly has a press conference scheduled for Wednesday as well. Hmm, wonder what that could be about..

Here's an accompanying article on their move:
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/3/25/4145372/georgia-southern-appalachian-state-sun-belt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EverettGriz said:
I look forward to those semi-final games under the lights against Western Oregon....

Still a better option then never ever....not once ever even having a shot at a National Championship.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Well, that is sad news indeed. The Griz should at least be kind enough to send off App St. to FBS with an ass kicking like we did with Boise in '96.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
EverettGriz said:
I look forward to those semi-final games under the lights against Western Oregon....

Still a better option then never ever....not once ever even having a shot at a National Championship.

Eventually there will be a NC game for the lower tier FBS schools. Montana just has to time their move...although the odds are good the entire Big Sky would go long term.

firmgriz said:
Well, that is sad news indeed. The Griz should at least be kind enough to send off App St. to FBS with an ass kicking like we did with Boise in '96.
Actually '95.

ordigger said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
EverettGriz said:

Eventually there will be a NC game for the lower tier FBS schools. Montana just has to time their move...although the odds are good the entire Big Sky would go long term.
I would take those odds. Look around the BSC; there are but two teams that can draw 5 figures to a game. Some draw 3000. Little TV market. Half of the programs are closer to DII than to FBS.

We're getting left in the dust by those programs that have the courage to take a chance and move to the next level.. we didn't have the courage. I'd give up the Nat'l championship, for the chance to compete on a larger stage, against better opponents. I understand it might take a few years to get serious about winning consistently.... but anyone doubting whether we can win at the 'next level' consistently, is doubting the pride and tradition of Grizzly Football... IMO.

I'm with Alpha, but I'll concede the Griz should move up now on a couple of conditions. 1. NO WAC under any circumstance. IF Montana can join the Mountain West, I'll take that and the ass beatings that will come with it. 2. The rivalry with the Cats remains intact. 3. Chris needs to close EGRIZ. Can you imagine the irrational babble on here during the "growing pains seasons"? IF those two things can happen, I'm all for it at this point. I hate to lose Appy, GSU and yes, NDSU will be gone sooner than later. And it's not like the griz have won a chipper recently anyways, so maybe it is time to go.

Guardiangriz said:
We're getting left in the dust by those programs that have the courage to take a chance and move to the next level.. we didn't have the courage. I'd give up the Nat'l championship, for the chance to compete on a larger stage, against better opponents. I understand it might take a few years to get serious about winning consistently.... but anyone doubting whether we can win at the 'next level' consistently, is doubting the pride and tradition of Grizzly Football... IMO.

If Montana had joined the WAC a few years ago, they would be trying to figure out how to tread water as an independent (look how well that is going for Idaho) or making the move to rejoin the Big Sky Conference.

Where are the Griz going to go? An invite isn't coming anytime soon from the MWC, especially if leagues stay the way they are. The MW would like to add BYU and then perhaps Tulsa or UTEP, and that is only if BYU agrees to join. If not, the MW will stay where it is.

That leaves the MAC and Sun Belt as possible destinations, which of course are non-starters due to travel and the small inconvenience that the conference again would have to send UM an invite. You need a partner to dance, and right now UM has no dancing partners.

ASU and Georgia Southern, mainly due to geography, had options to move up. Montana, not so much.

It was only a matter of time before ASU and GSU made this move. There programs and leaders have a vision for of there schools on a grander scale than what UM and it's leaders do. I am sure we will see a few other top level FCS programs move up as well. It's hard to say what UM future looks like. Myself playing in a watered down FCS or whatever it may be does not have a lot of appeal. Will everyone be happy if we are playing Western Oregon, Fort Lewis, Central WA. Not me there has been to much ground work done to just try and tread water or slide back down.

From Brett McMurphy's Twitter:
App. State & Ga. Southern to Sun Belt in 2015; ineligible for 2013 FCS playoffs, joins Sun Belt in all sports but football in 2014

MrTitleist said:
From Brett McMurphy's Twitter:
App. State & Ga. Southern to Sun Belt in 2015; ineligible for 2013 FCS playoffs, joins Sun Belt in all sports but football in 2014

Geeze we better make the playoffs now. Gonna be 2 less teams to compete with.

Within a few very short years, UM and MSU will have no business being in the Big Sky. You already saw it with Basketball. WSU and UM were head and shoulders above the entire conference... and it's been like this for quite some time now. Nobody was close. and we didn't have a big man.... and were missing key people a lot of the year.

I get all the reasons to not move up... I get it. But since when was there no risk in taking on a challenge and setting the bar higher?? There is always risk. At some point, we're either going to make the courageous move, or we're going to get passed up. We're an attractive program/school for these conferences.. for a lot of reasons. We have the success (in many sports), the tradition, the fan base, etc etc. to make it happen. And honestly, for the health of our program, I think the change needs to happen at some point. Remaining Stagnant never is a good thing. :thumb:

GrizBacker04 said:
Guardiangriz said:

If Montana had joined the WAC a few years ago, they would be trying to figure out how to tread water as an independent (look how well that is going for Idaho) or making the move to rejoin the Big Sky Conference.

Where are the Griz going to go? An invite isn't coming anytime soon from the MWC, especially if leagues stay the way they are. The MW would like to add BYU and then perhaps Tulsa or UTEP, and that is only if BYU agrees to join. If not, the MW will stay where it is.

That leaves the MAC and Sun Belt as possible destinations, which of course are non-starters due to travel and the small inconvenience that the conference again would have to send UM an invite. You need a partner to dance, and right now UM has no dancing partners.

ASU and Georgia Southern, mainly due to geography, had options to move up. Montana, not so much.

Good post, GB4. Thank you for the reality check. For many of us we want to go back to the early 80's Big Sky. As Thomas Wolfe suggested, You can't go home again. Continue to be competitive in a division that year-by-year is made up of lessors or become an also ran. Not great choices for the program.

Back