• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Appalachian State Spring Game...

Paytonlives

Staff member
Defense, kicker stars in Appalachian State spring game

BOONE A terrific defensive effort and stellar punting and place-kicking by Zach Matics lifted the Black squad to a 12-3 win over the Gold in Appalachian State Spring Game on Saturday at Kidd Brewer Stadium.
The Black defense surrendered just 180 yards, including a paltry 26 yards on 35 Gold rushes. The Gold defense was nearly as staunch, allowing just 261 total yards and forcing the game’s only two turnovers on a pair of interceptions by sophomore Doug Middleton.

Matics connected on field goals of 48, 27 and 31 yards.

The squads combined for 17 sacks and 24 tackles for loss.

Offensively, junior Logan Hallock completed 22 of 33 passes for 209 yards for the Black squad. Simms McElfresh caught eight for 84 yards. Black running back Paul Magloire had 15 carries for a game-high 57 yards.

Gold quarterback Kalik Barnes was 19-for-28 for 154 yards. Senior Andrew Peacock led the Gold with five catches for 51 yards and sophomore Ricky Fergerson added 86 all-purpose yards, including a team-high 53 on the ground.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/20/3994855/defense-kicker-stars-in-appalachian.html#storylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

App State has only 10 Seniors on their 2013 roster
89 Anding, Josh TE 6-5 250 Sr. Valley View, Texas (Navarro College) (Valley View)
67 Barnard, Ian OL 6-4 277 Sr. Norcross, Ga. (Wesleyan School)
34 Blalock, Patrick DB 6-0 200 Sr. Asheville, N.C. (A.C. Reynolds)
42 Frazier, Michael LB 6-0 207 Sr. Conway, S.C. (Conway)
12 Londry-Jackson, Jamal QB 6-3 208 Sr. Atlanta, Ga. (North Atlanta)
5 Lott, Jamill DB 6-1 195 Sr. Kannapolis, N.C. (A.L. Brown)
11 Peacock, Andrew WR 5-10 190 Sr. Durham, N.C. (Northern Durham)
40 Stewart, Drew PK 6-1 175 Sr. Gastonia, N.C. (Marshall) (North Gaston)
4 Walker, Rodger DB 5-10 177 Sr. Thomasville, Ga. (Brookwood)
15 Washington, Tony WR 5-10 200 Sr. High Point, N.C. (T.W. Andrews)

Paytonlives said:
Defense, kicker stars in Appalachian State spring game

BOONE A terrific defensive effort and stellar punting and place-kicking by Zach Matics lifted the Black squad to a 12-3 win over the Gold in Appalachian State Spring Game on Saturday at Kidd Brewer Stadium.
The Black defense surrendered just 180 yards, including a paltry 26 yards on 35 Gold rushes. The Gold defense was nearly as staunch, allowing just 261 total yards and forcing the game’s only two turnovers on a pair of interceptions by sophomore Doug Middleton.

Matics connected on field goals of 48, 27 and 31 yards.

The squads combined for 17 sacks and 24 tackles for loss.

Offensively, junior Logan Hallock completed 22 of 33 passes for 209 yards for the Black squad. Simms McElfresh caught eight for 84 yards. Black running back Paul Magloire had 15 carries for a game-high 57 yards.

Gold quarterback Kalik Barnes was 19-for-28 for 154 yards. Senior Andrew Peacock led the Gold with five catches for 51 yards and sophomore Ricky Fergerson added 86 all-purpose yards, including a team-high 53 on the ground.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/20/3994855/defense-kicker-stars-in-appalachian.html#storylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No Jamal Jackson? Must be saving him for Montana....

AZGrizFan said:
17 sacks? Sweet Jesus, is their offensive line THAT bad?

Roster shows:
1 Senior
6 Juniors
2 Soph
3 Frosh

I would guess that UM's D will be better then Appy's so wow....

kemajic said:
No Jamal Jackson? Must be saving him for Montana....

Sports Network

4:03 p.m. CDT, April 22, 2013
Boone, NC — The starting quarterbacks of Saturday's Appalachian State spring game were a bit unheralded.

On the sideline stood incumbant starter Jamal Londry-Jackson, who expects to be back at the controls of the offense before the start of the 2013 season.

Londry-Jackson, a Walter Payton Award finalist last season, is recovering from surgery in January to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. He was throwing during spring practice and is said to be ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation.

Londry-Jackson, who has requested the media refer to him by his full name, after previously going by Jamal Jackson, led the Southern Conference in passing yards last season with 3,278. He played the season's final three games with the knee injury.

The Atlanta resident will be a fifth-year senior this season.

In the ASU spring game, junior quarterback Logan Hallock led the victorious Black team, while junior Kalik Barnes led the White team's offense.

The Mountaineers, who won a share of the SoCon title in finishing 8-4 last season, will open their season at the University of Montana on Aug. 31.

Woody (App State coach) plans to install 3-4 defense

As we all know, our defense has had its troubles the past couple of seasons. We switched to a 3-4, but never truly ran a 3-4. The strength of a 3-4 is having a 4th rusher blitz from the LBs and the QB not knowing where it is coming from. If you do not get pressure with a 3-4 defense, good offensive teams will expose it - as we have seen. Not trying to slight Dale Jones, but he rarely sent any blitzes out of the 3-4 and the QB always knew where the fourth rusher was coming from.

Newly hired defensive coordinator, Nate Woody, plans to keep the 3-4 and plans to use it correctly: “We’ll have a fourth rusher, but where he’s coming from I like to keep that disguised a little bit" That is GREAT to hear and am confident it will be done since Wofford's defense always got pressure on the QB. This makes me even more excited for this hire!

i don't expect much of a game out of these guys. new coach. game is here. they're getting worse every year since they last won it. one and done in the playoffs last two years. us 31, them 13.

AZGrizFan said:
17 sacks? Sweet Jesus, is their offensive line THAT bad?

I did some checking and it sounds like the refs were blowing the whistle when ever a D player touched the QB's...

However, there are alot of App Fans that are concerned with the O line and the fact that starting QB is recooperating from major knee surgery.

In the past it seems like when a QB has knee surgery it take about 3 games to get back up to speed, no matter how healthy they are at the start of the year...

getgrizzy said:
i don't expect much of a game out of these guys. new coach. game is here. they're getting worse every year since they last won it. one and done in the playoffs last two years. us 31, them 13.
They've made the playoffs the last two years; we haven't. They can't be taken lightly, particularly if hyphen is ready; he gave us fits last year. We will need our game to beat them.

kemajic said:
getgrizzy said:
They've made the playoffs the last two years; we haven't. They can't be taken lightly, particularly if hyphen is ready; he gave us fits last year. We will need our game to beat them.
We did too make the playoffs in the last two years. Last year was a perfect shit-storm. We'll be back very strong, as we usually are, this year.

That said, I agree with you, never take App lightly.

Tod said:
kemajic said:
getgrizzy said:
We did too make the playoffs in the last two years. Last year was a perfect shit-storm. We'll be back very strong, as we usually are, this year.

Since we did not make the playoffs last year, we did not make the playoffs the last two years.

kemajic said:
Tod said:
kemajic said:
getgrizzy said:

Since we did not make the playoffs last year, we did not make the playoffs the last two years.

Or, to state it a little less ambiguously, we didn't make the playoffs in each of the last two years. ;)

With a bit of luck we will beat these guys.

If we have a little luck and play well we will win.

While App State needs luck to beat us, we will end up on top.

When App's luck runs out they still lose.

Montana will not blame the poor calls from the refs for the 20 point win by the Griz!

msu trolls posting on Egriz begin to worry after UM dumps App State with ease!

Ahh........I can't wait.

This game will come down to keeping their offense off the field and guarding the pass (shock lol), but the first part is more imperative.

We played right there with them last year until the offense went cold.

It was painful watching guys try to arm tackle on their last scoring drive because they were so tired they could hardly keep up at all. Their running back could have walked in to the endzone. :x

Umista said:
With a bit of luck we will beat these guys.

If we have a little luck and play well we will win.

While App State needs luck to beat us, we will end up on top.

When App's luck runs out they still lose.

Montana will not blame the poor calls from the refs for the 20 point win by the Griz!

msu trolls posting on Egriz begin to worry after UM dumps App State with ease!

Ahh........I can't wait.

Wow, that was... incredibly weird. So are you saying both teams will need luck to win, in other words you think both teams are evenly matched? Are you also saying that if Montana wins by 20... then you won't be pissed at the refs? I would certainlly hope not. Finally... are you thinking we (MSU) will be shaking in our boots if you should happen to beat an average team in your house?

I kow they're making some awful potent BC bud up there these days but maybe you should step away from the bong for awhile... :lol:

AllWeatherFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
I love it when threads devolve into a semantics battle.

Is the glass half full or half empty? :lol:

As George Carlin said, "Some people think of the glass as half full. Some people think of the glass as half empty. I think of the glass as too big."

Back